Speeding Woes

nycwink

Asking for feedback if anyone has an opinion about what I should do:

I recently got a ticket for speeding in PG county. It was a speed trap, four cop cars pulling over about 1 person every five minutes (I was third in line and two more got pulled while I was waiting for my ticket). The officer said she clocked me at 58 (wrote "58" in center of ticket) but wrote me a violation for 49 in a 40 zone, with a $70 fine. I want to contest the ticket for two reasons:
1) I don't want points (not even 1 point, which apparently is what the 9 mile excess is worth) on my clean driving record (10years, no tickets til now) for insurance purposes
2) PO wrote wrong info on ticket: mispelled last name, wrong driver's license#. Can the ticket be dismissed on these technicalities?
3) I have read that if I appear in court, plead guilty and ask for leniency/probation before judgment and/or defensive driving school, I will have points removed (will suck it up & pay fine/court costs if necessary)

Any suggestions on how I should proceed, share own experiences & advice? It's much appreciated!!

willie

quote:2) PO wrote wrong info on ticket: mispelled last name, wrong driver's license#. Can the ticket be dismissed on these technicalities?
Kind of tempting to ignore the whole thing...eh?

Kerad

Radar Detector.

I am Joe Speeder.

Drive smartly..but drive FAST. (Zoom-Zoom)

Never...EVER had a ticket when I've had my detector on.

Just my 2 cents.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
Kerad said:
Radar Detector.

I am Joe Speeder.

Just my 2 cents.
Leave earlier and you won't have to drive fast and make the roads I travel more dangerous.

BOHDEN

Kerad said:
Radar Detector.

I am Joe Speeder.

Just my 2 cents.

some of the detectors dont pick up the popo's gun if standing on the side of the road and pointing it in your direction, I know mine doesnt pick up that one :popcorn:

Ponytail

If they have your name mispelled and your license number wrong, I'd be tempted to through the ticket in the trash. It depends though, your license plate number is prolly correct. And they COULD track you through that.

If you have a clean driving record for 10 years, come up with a GOOD reason why you were speeding ... "keeping up with traffic and just not paying attention", offer to go to traffic school to keep points of record... would prolly be my first choice though. If ya have any legal friends, po-po, lawyer types... ya might hit them up for their opinion.

I have a perfectly clean driving record for 10 years also. It's a nice thing to have for several reasons.

PT

Ponytail

BOHDEN said:
some of the detectors dont pick up the popo's gun if standing on the side of the road and pointing it in your direction, I know mine doesnt pick up that one :popcorn:

And unless you have an expensive set-up ($800+) lasers are rarely detected, which is what's mainly used around here.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Ponytail said:
And unless you have an expensive set-up ($800+) lasers are rarely detected, which is what's mainly used around here.
Mine detects radars.. did a REAL good job on 270.. It goes off and tells you to pull over, you've been nabbed..

Lasers aren't "always on" so unless you pick up a piece of the laser from him shooting a car in front of you, you're not going to pick it up in time.

That and unlike radar it's a focused beam, usually aimed at a particular cars grill or license plate. When it goes off, it means you're bieng lased, and by the time your foot makes it to the brake, they already have your speed recorded.

NOW the one gimme, is from what I understand in MD they have to "shoot" you twice to get an accurate read, IF you can slow down in time form the first shot to the second.. you MIGHT have a chance..

Of course in my case it was.. "WOW, I've neve heard THAT before, what does it mean? OH Crap.. laser!! Hey look at the nice guy in the middle of the road waving me over!!"

Ponytail

itsbob said:
Mine detects radars..

Mine is a scrambler. But unless it is withing the 36" diameter field of the laser, it's not going to work. Laser operators are trained to aim for your license plate. On small cars, a 36" daimeter path encompasses a portion of your Windshield. A laser needs 3 consecutive readings to come up with a speed, which is why Scramblers CAN work. But like I said, unless you have a $400 min, tho going $800 increases you chances of it working significantly, you're likely not going to make it past a laser trap.

There's some good information here. http://www.radarbusters.com/support/stealth-street-bike/radar-test.asp

Cletus_Vandam

don't count on the going to court and saying I had a bad day, or I was late, or I had to pee realllllyyyyy bad...

There used to be a Judge in Chuck County [Clark I think] that used to start every days court with the line "if you're here to get off with out points for speeding, save everyone time and go pay your ticket. Points cause your insurance to go up, what better deterrent to not speed in the future".

Just my 2 cents. Not saying I agree with him.... I heard his rant first hand when I wanted to plead for a lessor fine/points on a ticket several years ago.

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
BOHDEN said:

Hmmmm...it's time you upgrade your radar detector. My Valentine 1 has went off everytime I got pulled over.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
BOHDEN said:
It's either an instant on, he pulls the trigger and it "fires" or it's a laser gun and you aren't set up to detect laser.. either way when he pulls the trigger your detector should DO something, you need to upgrade.

My detector went bouncing down Airport Rd in Hollywood last night.. was testing to see if the suction cups would hold it to my fairing/ windshield before I tore into the bike to wire it into my intercom..

As I watched my detector bouncing down the road, I looked, and the suction cups were still firmly attached. Now I have to find a way to firmly attach the detector to the suction cups..

Plugged it into the truck, and the voice still talks to me.. but I lost the rear looking reflector.

Ponytail

itsbob said:
It's either an instant on, he pulls the trigger and it "fires" or it's a laser gun and you aren't set up to detect laser.. either way when he pulls the trigger your detector should DO something, you need to upgrade.

My detector went bouncing down Airport Rd in Hollywood last night.. was testing to see if the suction cups would hold it to my fairing/ windshield before I tore into the bike to wire it into my intercom..

As I watched my detector bouncing down the road, I looked, and the suction cups were still firmly attached. Now I have to find a way to firmly attach the detector to the suction cups..

Plugged it into the truck, and the voice still talks to me.. but I lost the rear looking reflector.

Did ya look at the website that I posted? They have motorcycle mounts available.