MVA and Lein Release

C

czygvtwkr

Anyone know if I have to take the lein release that I got in the mail to the MVA or what? I just finished paying for my car :) and got the lein release paper in the mail.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
czygvtwkr said:
Anyone know if I have to take the lein release that I got in the mail to the MVA or what? I just finished paying for my car :) and got the lein release paper in the mail.

Yup, the MVA takes the release, you pay a fee, they send you a new title without the lien stuff on it. Just did the same thing myself.

morganj614

dumb woman question

I paid my car off 2 years ago but didn't know I had to do what you just said. Why do I have to do it? TIA for your kind answers :lol:

Mikeinsmd

Angel said:

As you see in the quote below from the article, you have to do nothing!! It is a waste of your $$ to go pay for a "clear" title. You can have them stamp your current title for free if you like if you have nothing better to do than stand in MVA lines.

When you sell the car, you give the buyer the release & you are out no money. I've done this dozens of times. :yay:
You may choose to do nothing when you receive the Maryland Notice of Security Interest Filing (SIF) or lien release letter from your lien holder. Simply file it in a safe place with your title. However, when you decide to sell or otherwise dispose of the vehicle, you will need to submit the SIF or lien release letter to the MVA at that time in order to complete the transfer of ownership.

Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Mikeinsmd said:
As you see in the quote below from the article, you have to do nothing!! It is a waste of your $$ to go pay for a "clear" title. You can have them stamp your current title for free if you like and have nothing better to do than stand in MVA lines.

When you sell the car, you give the buyer the release & you are out no money. I've done this dozens of times. :yay:
:yay: The first time I paid off a car in MD, I called MVA to ask how to get a clear title. The woman on the phone said "Why would you want to pay money for something stupid like that?"

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
MMDad said:
:yay: The first time I paid off a car in MD, I called MVA to ask how to get a clear title. The woman on the phone said "Why would you want to pay money for something stupid like that?"

Because stamps can be faked. Ask me how I know. I dare ya... :)

Pandora

MMDad said:

:yeahthat: My bank notified the DMV letting them know there is no longer a lien on the vehicle. Then, the DMV sent a "Maryland Notice of Security Interest Filing" showing termination of the lien.

BOHDEN

czygvtwkr said:
not really, you can hold on to it and when you sell it you just need to provide the buyer the title and the lein release. Why spend the money to have it done, unless you want to take a loan against the car then you have to have it changed.

Pete

Repete
I paid off my Honda and they just sent the lien release. When I traded it I took both the title and the release and signed them over. No problem.