Please Support MD House Bill 1303

http://www.boyscouts-ncac.org/pages/5826_eagle_scout_scholarship_proposal_house_bill_1303.cfm

Possible Scholarship Program for Maryland Eagle Scouts
We have just been alerted that Delegate Michael D. Smigiel has introduced House Bill 1303, which seeks to establish a scholarship program for Eagle Scouts and Gold Award Girl Scouts. (Download the current unofficial text of House Bill 1303 issued by the Maryland State Legislature here)

House Bill 1303
House Bill 1303 proposes a scholarship award of $2,000 for each school year that a Maryland resident Eagle Scout or Gold Award Girl Scout is enrolled at a Maryland public institution of higher education as a candidate for an Associate's Degree or Bachelor's Degree. Scholarship awards will be given each year on a first-come, first-served basis to 50 Eagle Scouts and 50 Gold Award Girl Scouts. A recipient will continue to receive the scholarship for five years after first enrolling as a candidate for an Associate's Degree or Bachelor's Degree at a Maryland institution of public higher education or up until the student is awarded a Bachelor's Degree, which ever comes sooner.

How House Bill 1303 Differs from last year's House Bill 296
Many of you may remember House Bill 296, which was introduced by Delegate Smigiel during the 2005 legislative session and sought to grant for Maryland resident Girl Scout Gold Award recipients and Eagle Scouts an exemption from tuition and mandatory fees at public institutions of higher education. The major difference is that last year's HB 296 was a full tuition exemption for Maryland resident Gold Award Girl Scouts, this year's HB 1303 is a partial scholarship for up to 50 Maryland Gold Award Girl Scouts. As you recall, House Bill 296 failed to pass through the Appropriations Committee during the Spring 2005 legislative session.

Next Steps:
House Bill 1303 has been assigned to the Ways and Means Committee where it will be allocated a hearing date. Once a hearing date has been assigned we will be back in touch with you with a further update.

HOW TO GET INVOLVED:
Send an e-mail to the Honorable Michael D. Smigiel (Michael. smigiel@house.state.md.us) or fax (410-841-3434) him a letter outlining your support for the Bill. Letters of support can also be mailed to the Honorable Michael D. Smigiel, Lowe House Office Building, Room 217, 84 College Ave., Annapolis, MD 21401

UNOFFICIAL COPY OF HOUSE BILL 1303
F2 6lr0529
____________________________________________________________________________________
By: Delegates Smigiel, Kach, and Boteler
Introduced and read first time: February 10, 2006
Assigned to: Ways and Means
_____________________________________________________________________________________
A BILL ENTITLED
1 AN ACT concerning
2 Higher Education - Scholarship Program - Eagle Scouts and Girl Scout Gold
3 Award Recipients
4 FOR the purpose of establishing the Eagle Scout and Girl Scout Gold Award Recipient
5 Scholarship Program; providing for the qualifications of the recipients of a
6 scholarship under this Act; providing for the amount and duration of a
7 scholarship award; requiring the Office of Student Financial Assistance to
8 approve a certain number of scholarships to certain individuals on a certain
9 basis each year; requiring the Governor to include a certain appropriation in the
10 annual budget beginning in a certain fiscal year; providing for the application of
11 this Act; and generally relating to the establishment of the Eagle Scout and Girl
12 Scout Gold Award Recipient Scholarship Program.
13 BY adding to
14 Article - Education
15 Section 18-2801 to be under the new subtitle "Subtitle 28. The Eagle Scout and
16 Girl Scout Gold Award Recipient Scholarship Program"
17 Annotated Code of Maryland
18 (2004 Replacement Volume and 2005 Supplement)
19 SECTION 1. BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF
20 MARYLAND, That the Laws of Maryland read as follows:
21 Article - Education
22 SUBTITLE 28. THE EAGLE SCOUT AND GIRL SCOUT GOLD AWARD RECIPIENT
23 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM.
24 18-2801.
25 (A) THERE IS AN EAGLE SCOUT AND GIRL SCOUT GOLD AWARD RECIPIENT
26 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM.
27 (B) A RECIPIENT OF A SCHOLARSHIP UNDER THIS SECTION SHALL:
2 UNOFFICIAL COPY OF HOUSE BILL 1303
1 (1) (I) BE AN EAGLE SCOUT; OR
2 (II) BE A RECIPIENT OF THE GIRL SCOUT GOLD AWARD;
3 (2) BE A RESIDENT OF THE STATE;
4 (3) BE ENROLLED AT AN INSTITUTION OF HIGHER EDUCATION IN THE
5 STATE ON OR BEFORE THE DATE THAT THE STUDENT REACHES THE AGE OF 21
6 YEARS; AND
7 (4) BE ENROLLED AS A CANDIDATE FOR AN ASSOCIATE'S DEGREE OR A
8 BACHELOR'S DEGREE.
9 (C) THE EAGLE SCOUT AND GIRL SCOUT GOLD AWARD RECIPIENT
10 SCHOLARSHIP AWARD FOR EACH SCHOOL YEAR IS $2,000.
11 (D) A RECIPIENT MAY CONTINUE TO RECEIVE AN AWARD UNTIL THE EARLIER
12 OF:
13 (1) 5 YEARS AFTER FIRST ENROLLING AS A CANDIDATE FOR AN
14 ASSOCIATE'S DEGREE OR BACHELOR'S DEGREE AT A PUBLIC INSTITUTION OF
15 HIGHER EDUCATION IN THE STATE; OR
16 (2) THE DATE THAT THE STUDENT IS AWARDED A BACHELOR'S DEGREE.
17 (E) THE OFFICE SHALL APPROVE UP TO THE FOLLOWING NUMBER OF
18 SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS EACH YEAR ON A FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED BASIS:
19 (1) 50 AWARDS TO EAGLE SCOUTS; AND
20 (2) 50 AWARDS TO GIRL SCOUT GOLD AWARD RECIPIENTS.
21 (F) BEGINNING IN FISCAL YEAR 2008 AND ANNUALLY THEREAFTER, THE
22 GOVERNOR SHALL INCLUDE IN THE ANNUAL BUDGET $200,000 FOR THE EAGLE
23 SCOUT AND GIRL SCOUT GOLD AWARD RECIPIENT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
24 ESTABLISHED UNDER THIS SECTION.
25 SECTION 2. AND BE IT FURTHER ENACTED, That this Act shall be
26 construed to apply only prospectively and may not be applied or interpreted to have
27 any effect on or application to any student enrolled in a public institution of higher
28 education before the effective date of this Act.
29 SECTION 3. AND BE IT FURTHER ENACTED, That this Act shall take effect
30 July 1, 2006.

oldman

Lobster Land
I believe in scholarships; however, I also believe in giving them to those that go into a field that I believe in. I don't see any proposal as to what these winners will/must go into which leads me to believe they could major in knitting and still reap my tax dollars. One of the organization I belong to give scholarhships but only for those that take up in a conservation field. I just can't see my tax dollars going towards an across the board education. My organization is heavily involved with scouting and I think they are great but I'm not willing to just pay without knowing what I'm paying for. Sorry, but I'm very selective when it comes to my money.