"Flash point" Homicide...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Wash Post today:

'Flash Point' Killings: Murder Most Casual
Police See Petty Spats Leading to More Slayings

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/16/AR2006031602213.html

It doesn't occur often but the Post actually gets bored of Bush bashing and bird flu hysteria once in awhile and runs some stories that are truly important.

You're a 26 year old male and a stranger in a liquor store snaps the suspenders of your female companion to get her attention. You politely tell him that is not...polite. He politely blows you away, kills you. Leaves. Then, after running away, comes back and shoots her as well.

A 19 year old kid tries to diffuse some tense words with a neighborhood acquaintance inside a convenience store, "Ah, y'all a clown." It's over. Except for the part when, 30 minutes later, you walk to your car and the neighbor puts 6 bullets in the back of your head and is heard to say "Who's the clown now?".

More:

And outside an Oxon Hill chicken joint in 2004, Kelvin Braxton, 22, was fatally shot by Robert Garner, a 20-year-old acquaintance who became enraged after Braxton tried to shake his hand inside the restaurant.

All three perps were convicted.

Motivation: Drugs? No. Robbery? Nope. Fighting over women. Not even. This has a name now; 'Flash point' killings. Anger. Rage.

PG County says of 169 homicides investigated last year some 43 were motivated by 'argument'. It's nothing new but the story says it is dramatically on the raise as the violence associated with the crack epidemics of the late 80's and into the 90's has largely subsided.

Causes?

Although they have no specific studies to point to, police, prosecutors, people who work with ex-offenders, victims rights advocates and the ex-offenders themselves said the burgeoning violence is because of a toxic mix of causes: the easy availability of handguns; a subculture, including some rap songs and videos, that celebrates violence; and a pathological need on the part of some young men for respect.

Now, common sense tells us that guns, no matter how easy they are to get, have nothing to do with the actions of the individual. You could buy a Thompson sub machine gun in the hardware store back in the 1920's and 30's. People weren't shooting each other over hand skakes.

Style, culture, now you're talking. People respond to fashion; what's in. What's cool. What movie is good. Restaurant themes and styles. Cars. Home furnishings. Tennis shoes. Jackets. You name it.

Pathological need for respect.

Any male can relate to that on some level. But ladies?

"One woman stabbed another because she wore a dress without asking.

We've also heard about the two young girls at the high school football game and their tussle last fall that led to murder. You're hip to, women!

So, respect.

More reasons:

Timothy A. Dimoff, a former Ohio police officer, says in his book, "Life Rage," that today's teenagers and people in their twenties and early thirties have been bombarded with violence all their lives through video games, music, music videos, television shows and mainstream movies.

Wouldn't it be nice if it were so neat? Just blame kids and rap and move on. Who cares?

Well, the Post does a nice job:

· About 7:30 p.m. April 6, 2003, Phillip Hansberry, 41, was driving his pickup behind a Chevy Blazer on Marlboro Pike in the Capitol Heights area. According to witnesses, Hansberry became enraged because he believed the driver of the Blazer, Clifton Stokes, 53, was going too slowly.

He crashed into him, got out and then killed him. Beat him to death.

And...

Shortly after 4 a.m. May 23, 2004, police were summoned to an apartment in Capitol Heights. They found Donald K. Denny, 34, stabbed in the chest. Denny was taken to the hospital, where he died.

His girlfriend of five years, Lavon I. Jackson, now 50, admitted to detectives that she stabbed Denny because he woke her up. She pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.

Not exactly fitting the profile.

In yet another case, several teenagers and young men were playing pickup basketball on an outdoor court in Cheltenham on May 2, 2004. An argument started when one player believed that an opponent had fouled him too hard. Play resumed, but minutes later, after another hard foul, a fracas broke out.

Velonta E. Roye, 18 at the time, had been on the sidelines, watching the game. But he threw himself into the fight and stabbed one of the players, Darryl Duckett, 17. The attack occurred in front of Duckett's two younger brothers, who had been playing.

Duckett staggered, collapsed and died.

Didn't even know each other.

Most of the case, however, do pretty much fit the stereotype of young and angry.

More commentary:

"When I was a kid, a lot of these deaths would have been fistfights," said State's Attorney Glenn F. Ivey. "Now they're turning into gunfights, and someone gets killed or hurt seriously."

Yeah. Way back in the day...when we had a whole hell of alot less gun laws AND they were easier to get.

The story speaks about this as a nationwide problem, which is pretty easy to accept. My interest is in a problem like this that has way more impact on way more peoples day to day lives getting more attention than the latest attempt at political advantage on the front page. Today the Post is trying to make this operation Swarmer stuff look like the Normandy landings. "Biggest assault since 2003, air armada, ya da ya. Then, they tell us there are 1,500 troops and 50, count 'em, 50 aircraft involved. Wow. Things must be bad over there, huh?

You want violence? You want to report on a real problem with real impact? It's right here at home and, if the story holds, of the 16,000 or so total annual nationwide homiceds, with some 30% or almost 5,000 a year, being symptoms of a cultural cancer, well, stay with it Post, stay with it.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
Larry Gude said:
Wash Post today:

'Flash Point' Killings: Murder Most Casual
Police See Petty Spats Leading to More Slayings

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/16/AR2006031602213.html

It doesn't occur often but the Post actually gets bored of Bush bashing and bird flu hysteria once in awhile and runs some stories that are truly important.

You're a 26 year old male and a stranger in a liquor store snaps the suspenders of your female companion to get her attention. You politely tell him that is not...polite. He politely blows you away, kills you. Leaves. Then, after running away, comes back and shoots her as well.

A 19 year old kid tries to diffuse some tense words with a neighborhood acquaintance inside a convenience store, "Ah, y'all a clown." It's over. Except for the part when, 30 minutes later, you walk to your car and the neighbor puts 6 bullets in the back of your head and is heard to say "Who's the clown now?".

More:

All three perps were convicted.

Motivation: Drugs? No. Robbery? Nope. Fighting over women. Not even. This has a name now; 'Flash point' killings. Anger. Rage.

PG County says of 169 homicides investigated last year some 43 were motivated by 'argument'. It's nothing new but the story says it is dramatically on the raise as the violence associated with the crack epidemics of the late 80's and into the 90's has largely subsided.

Causes?

Now, common sense tells us that guns, no matter how easy they are to get, have nothing to do with the actions of the individual. You could buy a Thompson sub machine gun in the hardware store back in the 1920's and 30's. People weren't shooting each other over hand skakes.

Style, culture, now you're talking. People respond to fashion; what's in. What's cool. What movie is good. Restaurant themes and styles. Cars. Home furnishings. Tennis shoes. Jackets. You name it.

Pathological need for respect.

Any male can relate to that on some level. But ladies?

We've also heard about the two young girls at the high school football game and their tussle last fall that led to murder. You're hip to, women!

So, respect.

More reasons:

Wouldn't it be nice if it were so neat? Just blame kids and rap and move on. Who cares?

Well, the Post does a nice job:

He crashed into him, got out and then killed him. Beat him to death.

And...

Not exactly fitting the profile.

Didn't even know each other.

Most of the case, however, do pretty much fit the stereotype of young and angry.

More commentary:

Yeah. Way back in the day...when we had a whole hell of alot less gun laws AND they were easier to get.

The story speaks about this as a nationwide problem, which is pretty easy to accept. My interest is in a problem like this that has way more impact on way more peoples day to day lives getting more attention than the latest attempt at political advantage on the front page. Today the Post is trying to make this operation Swarmer stuff look like the Normandy landings. "Biggest assault since 2003, air armada, ya da ya. Then, they tell us there are 1,500 troops and 50, count 'em, 50 aircraft involved. Wow. Things must be bad over there, huh?

You want violence? You want to report on a real problem with real impact? It's right here at home and, if the story holds, of the 16,000 or so total annual nationwide homiceds, with some 30% or almost 5,000 a year, being symptoms of a cultural cancer, well, stay with it Post, stay with it.

Lets give the thugs more attention and the ones that don't know, some more ideas. :smack:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
unixpirate said:
Lets give the thugs more attention and the ones that don't know, some more ideas.
Unix, don't annoy me today. I have a hangover.

Ignoring a problem won't make it go away, nor does awareness of a problem exacerbate it. That was just dumb and you should have to stand in the corner for 10 minutes and think about it.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
vraiblonde said:

Ignoring a problem won't make it go away, nor does awareness of a problem exacerbate it. That was just dumb and you should have to stand in the corner for 10 minutes and think about it.

Thank you. I thought it was me...I was :confused:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Larry Gude said:

Years ago, I read that most handgun deaths resulted from arguments among relatives or friends, road rage, nutcases like Chapman and Berkowitz, and stupid accidents like the one below. As the story went, handgun deaths resulting from muggings or robberies or other premediated crimes were actually far down on the list. What's interesting is that both sides in the gun control debate found vindication in these stats. As I see it, "young, angry and resentful" is part of the pattern above.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/14087251.htm

Why the hell do people leave loaded guns in the reach of kids in the first place?

unixpirate

Pitty Party
vraiblonde said:

:huggy:
*headhanginlow* walking to my corner. Can Sasha sit with me?

I'll have a hangover tomorrow, then I'll be back :smack:
:razz:

unixpirate

Pitty Party
elaine said:
Thank you. I thought it was me...I was :confused:

I'm having a bad day k? I got a headache, my stomach hurts, and my panties are crawling up my.... ah nevermind its no use. :coffee:

Sowry Larry Dude.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Don't be sorry to me...

unixpirate said:
I'm having a bad day k? I got a headache, my stomach hurts, and my panties are crawling up my.... ah nevermind its no use. :coffee:

Sowry Larry Dude.

I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic, serious or what.

I don't have a hangover.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
Larry Gude said:
I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic, serious or what.

I don't have a hangover.

You know if isn't one thing it's another with these thugs. Now we/our children are going to be afraid of joking / saying the wrong thing out in the public? It truly is :bs: that these arseholes :smack: can scare us like that.

That's all.

:peace:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
unixpirate said:
Now we/our children are going to be afraid of joking / saying the wrong thing out in the public?
When it should be that thugs are afraid of beating up people and killing them because they'll go to prison or be executed.

I know my attitude has changed a lot, which is why I stick with groups of people I know and don't venture into public gatherings much. Someone is almost ALWAYS being a jerk and you don't dare say anything to them because who knows how they'll retaliate against you?

It's probably a good thing I don't carry a weapon because I'd be like, yep, you're a nuisance and detriment to society - BANG!

Remember Bernhard Goetz and the way the media eviscerated him for defending himself? And how every single one of those thugs went on to commit other violent crimes (except the one that Goetz shot in the spine and paralyzed)? And how Goetz himself served 8 months in prison for illegal weapons possession AND was sued by the paralyzed kid, who was awarded $40-some million dollars?

It's a damn shame that we've been brainwashed by the liberals and their lawyers to think criminals are the victims and victims are the criminals.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
vraiblonde said:
It's probably a good thing I don't carry a weapon because I'd be like, yep, you're a nuisance and detriment to society - BANG!

Amen! :yay:

Remember Bernhard Goetz and the way the media eviscerated him for defending himself? And how every single one of those thugs went on to commit other violent crimes (except the one that Goetz shot in the spine and paralyzed)? And how Goetz himself served 8 months in prison for illegal weapons possession AND was sued by the paralyzed kid, who was awarded $40-some million dollars?

Money is not going to bring back the use of his limbs. Its ashame.

It's a damn shame that we've been brainwashed by the liberals and their lawyers to think criminals are the :smack: victims and victims are the criminals.
Sucks!