Evaluation of Nationwides Homeowners Insurance.

bcp

In My Opinion
As we may or may not remember, I posted about a tree falling on my house last week.
The insurance adjuster for Nationwide (the on your side people?) came out, looked at the roof from the ground, denied my offer to climb onto the roof and view the damage, and left with a promise to take care of the situation.

the check came in.

now, remember I have broken roof over one section of the house, I have a branch broke through and hanging in my attic, and I lost a skylight. not to mention many damaged shingles across the whole roof.

the insurance check?

thats right, Nationwide, on my side has decided that to replace the skylight and flashing, repair the wood in the two sections of roof, and the various damaged shingles,,,, would cost me 968.00 dollars minus my 250 deductible.

I am now at just over 1000.00 dollars, and have had to do the work myself because I could not find a contractor to provide the services for free, while throwing in the needed material.

just thought you all might like to know this when picking your home owners insurance company.

I am currently looking at other companies to take over my policies.. that would be the home, four cars, the boat.

Pete

Repete
bcp said:
As we may or may not remember, I posted about a tree falling on my house last week.
The insurance adjuster for Nationwide (the on your side people?) came out, looked at the roof from the ground, denied my offer to climb onto the roof and view the damage, and left with a promise to take care of the situation.

the check came in.

now, remember I have broken roof over one section of the house, I have a branch broke through and hanging in my attic, and I lost a skylight. not to mention many damaged shingles across the whole roof.

the insurance check?

thats right, Nationwide, on my side has decided that to replace the skylight and flashing, repair the wood in the two sections of roof, and the various damaged shingles,,,, would cost me 968.00 dollars minus my 250 deductible.

I am now at just over 1000.00 dollars, and have had to do the work myself because I could not find a contractor to provide the services for free, while throwing in the needed material.

just thought you all might like to know this when picking your home owners insurance company.

I am currently looking at other companies to take over my policies.. that would be the home, four cars, the boat.
Have you discussed this with them?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's too bad. Insurance is such a scam - isn't there some way you can contest it or something? I mean, you pay these godawful premiums, you should at least get just payment when you have to make a claim.

I used to have Nationwide years ago, and while Bob Hall was a very good agent and I would recommend him, Nationwide itself had a few class-action lawsuits against them for screwing people out of claims and some other malfeasance.

But all insurance companies suck, in my opinion.

bcp

In My Opinion
Pete said:
Have you discussed this with them?
I will discuss it with them when all the totals are in.

And I expect my time that I have had to spend doing the repairs to be paid also.

MMDad

Lem Putt
bcp said:

And I expect my time that I have had to spend doing the repairs to be paid also.
They will not reimburse your time unless you can prove that the time you spent was a loss. Almost impossible.

When dealing with insurance, call a builder/contractor for a quote right after you call the agent. If they offer one penny less than the quote, fight it right then and there. If they say that the quote is too high, ask them to find you a contractor who will do the job for their price.

bcp

In My Opinion
As luck would have it,
with a broken skylight, and the threat of bad weather on the way, I did not have the option of fighting with the insurance company at this time.

So, I just had to fix it myself.

I hope the adjuster dies in a freak accident that involves chickens and sheep.

Pete

Repete
I think I saw on Judge Wapner once that if you cash their check it is implied that you accept their offered settlement.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Damn, that does suck! :ohwell: I'd definately hold off on cashing the check if you can at all. I think Pete's right (though I'm not sure about Judge Wapner being involved) that once you cash their check, they're free from further responsibility. Hell, I'd let the rain continue to pour on in (protect your valuables, move sentimentals, etc) ... because that's more damage as a result of their failure to respond in an expeditious and thorough manner to your incident. You might be required to make minimal effort to prevent further damage (e.g, put a tarp over the hole), but they oughta get it in gear and fork over the dough to fix it right.

I remember reading/hearing about Nationwide woes after the tornado ripped through there from peeps who'd sustained damage to their homes ... made me glad I wasn't with 'em. :boo:

bcp

In My Opinion
as luck would have it, I did not cash their check. It still sits on my desk here in my room.

I intend to send it back with the final cost and demand that they come up with the difference.

been with those bastards since 86 with no claims, its not like they are losing money on this.

onebdzee

off the shelf
bcp said:
as luck would have it, I did not cash their check. It still sits on my desk here in my room.

I intend to send it back with the final cost and demand that they come up with the difference.

been with those bastards since 86 with no claims, its not like they are losing money on this.

and of course you are going to make copies of all the receipts, the check and the letter that you are composing to enclose with all of the aforementioned items and cc it to the attorney generals office and the BBB, aren't you?

bcp

In My Opinion
onebdzee said:
and of course you are going to make copies of all the receipts, the check and the letter that you are composing to enclose with all of the aforementioned items and cc it to the attorney generals office and the BBB, aren't you?
well now that you mention it...

but not the BBB, I dont hold them accountable for anything at all.
they are a worthless group that has no real power except for the power that the member business gives them.

M

missperky

I had Nationwide when Izzy came through in 03 and totaled our new van, 11 months old. I do not like Nationwide and would never use them again. JMO

onebdzee

off the shelf
bcp said:
well now that you mention it...

but not the BBB, I dont hold them accountable for anything at all.
they are a worthless group that has no real power except for the power that the member business gives them.

:yay:

W

Wenchy

I can't say enough about USAA.

A PVC valve (or something) on my washing machine went up, and the plumbing leaked all through the wall and then under the floors.

Once I saw that my kitchen floor was rippling, and the bathroom wall was wet, I called a plumber, who then told me what happened.

USAA told me to find a contractor, and basically cut the check over the phone.

New flooring, paint and drywall for the affected areas.

I've had my homeowner's and car insurance through them for over 20 years.

True, I haven't had many claims, but they are incredible with their follow-up and my check in hand when I do.

www.usaa.com

I was told when I removed a recently sold vehicle from my policy, that they now consider anybody regardless of a military background or connection.

Check them out.

Last edited by a moderator:

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
bcp said:

the check came in.

the insurance check?

We had a fire at our house, but we handled our insurance a little different.

seems someone was smoking the thanksgiving turkey and didnt realize a charcoal briquet fell onto the deck catching a broom, that was also on the deck, on fire :whistle: .

Insurance adjuster comes out a few days later, but since i'm a geek and dont know much about house repairs, i had a contractor there also. the contractor made sure that everything that needed to be repaired was included and accounted for (including the money it took for the contractor to do the work).

i would definetly recomend for any kind of major repair, to cover your bases and pay $100 for someone to help you cover all aspects of the repair.

The turkey turned out good, the house stank like burnt plastic though (from the siding)

willie

bcp said:

Maybe it is just a lousy adjuster. I've had two claims with Nationwide (within 4 yrs.) and in both cases ended up with money in my pocket. In the Isabel incident, I was treated more than just fairly and the adjuster did it all on the phone. In the first case, it was a tree that fell on a deck. The adjuster was obviously familiar with construction and current prices and even included a reasonable hourly wage. I previously had Allstate with no problems until they raised my deductible to an outrageous amount.

We had a flood in our kitchen and the adjustor came out and gave us an estimate and cut the check. We took their estimate to a local flooring store who promptly said that the estimate would hardly touch the cost of replacing flooring and subflooring so the flooring called the adjustor and provided him with a new estimate which the insurance company is covering.

Get quotes and then call your insurance and tell them what they gave you isn't enough.

kpm

Nationwide scams whenever possible.

I feel for you and thousands of others being scammed by these theives.
We have been with nationwide for almost 20 years. Never submitting a claim for any reason as I had heard about the horror stories.
Unfortunetly we had a terrible storm which caused a large amount of damage to our property.To much for me to contend with. The adjuster sent a check for less then $2000.00 dollars for actual damages exceeding $9000.00. When I contacted them to have the adjuster re evaluate the actual damages as per the contractors written estimates. I was told if I did not except the check they would take action against us. Then the adjuster stated false accusations as a basis for having an investigation. I returned the check and continued to explain the accusations were incorrect and the adjuster was out right liar. Well! guess what. They did not re-inspect the property and initiated an investigation using the dirty liars false accusations to do so. I am unemployed and my wife has disabilities. The adjuster knew this and took the chance we could not afford an attorney to defend ourselves.Needless to say we had to take all our funds and borrow from relatives to make the repairs. To add insult to injury Nationwide contacted us and said if we did not make all the repairs at our expense they would drop us. On top of that they then raised our preminums. All this came at once. We have never failed to pay our preminums and as usual we acted in good faith. Nationwide uses every opportunity to scam and cheat the unemployed and disabled out of their policies knowing very well they can and get away with it. I contacted the state,BBB, Attorney General and everyone that would listen. All said get an attorney. Like beating a dead horse. We pay thousands and millions of dollars every year only to have the very people which are suppose to help us,turn their backs on us. No one wants to mess with the insurance companies. And those that do carry a hefty price. Also the investigator came to our home when I said I would not be there and entered our home without our knowledge or permission.They broke into our house. The state said get an attorney. Something is truly wrong with this country when these low lives can get away with this type of bad faith tactics. Just goes to show you. They have no boundries and will use every means to take advantage of everyone without recourse.Even the diabled and unemployed. Bottom line. Nationwide created fraud in an effort to accuse us of fraud to delay and not pay this claim. These people are the lowest scum on the face of this earth in my opinion. I guess I must have called God and asked him to create a storm ripping the roof off my home and causing extensive damage to the property in an effort to get a couple of bucks from Nationwide. YEA! That must be it.
Nationwide ----Go To Hell ----as I am sure thats where all you low life scum bags are headed anyway. You should be locked up for frauding the people. And you continue to do it regardless the complaints. Your staff will sell their souls for a bonus buck. Kiss My Ass

itsbob

I bowl overhand
bcp said:

http://www.mdinsurance.state.md.us/jsp/Consumer/FileComplaint.jsp10

Get estimates from two or three contractors, showing a price for repair.. the "adjuster" apparently had no clue and did a "SWAG" to come up with the repair bill..

They hope you'll take what you get without complaint, but if you DO complain they will pay what they should of orignally.

Remember, insurance companies are profit making, if they are generous with you that will cut into their profits, and their A++ ratings..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
OH, and get your local friendly agent that sold you this policy involved..

You pay him a LOT in commission, let him show you how much of it he earned. See who he goes to bat for, you or his company...