Fishing newbie...in the St. Mary's river

Gunn317

A couple of years ago I finished building a canoe/kayak hybrid and have had a lot of fun with it. Now, I'm kind of itching to throw a line in the water and attempt to try to catch something (or at least relax trying). However, I've never fished around here...and never have been fishing in anything other than freshwater lakes.

So....what type of fish might I expect to catch? And what should I be looking for to keep? Specifically, I'll be in the St. Mary's river 95% of the time. My daughter and I have caught crab there before with those single fold-open type traps.

Thanks,

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
The best bet for your situation is to bottom fish. Almost anything can be caught this way. Spot, Croaker, and Perch will be your best bet. However I have caught Trout, Flounder and even Rockfish bottom fishing before. You could also try jigging, better chance at a Rock or Trout that way.

Only fish you really want to stay away from are Toad fish and you'll know when you get one up to the boat what it looks like. If you do hook a Toad I suggest just snipping your line close to the hook. They have little teeth and spiny fins that can poke you and make a nasty infection.

For bait try blood worms, peeler crab or squid for bottom fishing and an artifical jig for jigging.

This is just a short summuary to get you started, there really isn't much more to it though.

Mikeinsmd

AK-74me said:
The best bet for your situation is to bottom fish. Almost anything can be caught this way. Spot, Croaker, and Perch will be your best bet. However I have caught Trout, Flounder and even Rockfish bottom fishing before. You could also try jigging, better chance at a Rock or Trout that way.

Only fish you really want to stay away from are Toad fish and you'll know when you get one up to the boat what it looks like. If you do hook a Toad I suggest just snipping your line close to the hook. They have little teeth and spiny fins that can poke you and make a nasty infection.

For bait try blood worms, peeler crab or squid for bottom fishing and an artifical jig for jigging.

This is just a short summuary to get you started, there really isn't much more to it though.
:yeahthat: And have a look here for creel limits & sizes.

Like AK said. Also I've seen schools of Blues and "Rockfish" breaking in the river. That's when you might want to throw a spoon or jig into their midst with a spinning rod. The Tackle Box will help you get set up if you are not familiar with the rigs. Good luck!

Midnightrider

Gunn317 said:
A couple of years ago I finished building a canoe/kayak hybrid and have had a lot of fun with it. Now, I'm kind of itching to throw a line in the water and attempt to try to catch something (or at least relax trying). However, I've never fished around here...and never have been fishing in anything other than freshwater lakes.

So....what type of fish might I expect to catch? And what should I be looking for to keep? Specifically, I'll be in the St. Mary's river 95% of the time. My daughter and I have caught crab there before with those single fold-open type traps.

Thanks,
if you are a lake fisherman, try the St amrys lake, not too far from you, and all the freshwater species you are familiar with are inthere.

I think the water level may be a little lower right now, but it should be good fishing anyway

Midnightrider said:
if you are a lake fisherman, try the St Marys lake, not too far from you, and all the freshwater species you are familiar with are inthere.

I think the water level may be a little lower right now, but it should be good fishing anyway

Probably be a good bet for the type of boat you have, calm waters and since the lake was drained, the fishies are all easier to find. Take some worms and head out to the lake!

Midnightrider

thakidistight said:
Probably be a good bet for the type of boat you have, calm waters and since the lake was drained, the fishies are all easier to find. Take some worms and head out to the lake!
Yes, St Marys, not St Armys

Gunn317

Thanks AK for the great tips and help! And thanks all for the suggestions also. I live along the St. Mary's and paddle about in my kayak there often...hence my reason for wanting to stay put there.

Thanks again,

Gunn317 said:
Thanks AK for the great tips and help! And thanks all for the suggestions also. I live along the St. Mary's and paddle about in my kayak there often...hence my reason for wanting to stay put there.

Thanks again,

Here's a site that'll keep you posted about what kind of fish are being caught around here. The croaker or "hardhead" should be showing up before long and I guess perch are year round.

Mikeinsmd

desertrat said:
Here's a site that'll keep you posted about what kind of fish are being caught around here. The croaker or "hardhead" should be showing up before long and I guess perch are year round.
Pssssttttttt.... :gossip: you forgot the link.