Bettas

EmnJoe

nunya bidnis
czygvtwkr said:
Anyone out there have Bettas?
Did. Had 2 in a split tank with too much water. one jumped the partition and within 3 days both were dead. Might try again soon. My son loves them.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
EmnJoe said:
Did. Had 2 in a split tank with too much water. one jumped the partition and within 3 days both were dead. Might try again soon. My son loves them.

Where did you find a split tank? I have looked all over and can't seem to locate one. I've also been on the hunt for a lily plant to grow on top and nobody seems to have those either.

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
sanchezf said:
Where did you find a split tank? I have looked all over and can't seem to locate one. I've also been on the hunt for a lily plant to grow on top and nobody seems to have those either.

For the split tank, Walmart? I've seen little split tanks there...

Not sure about the lily. Maybe Lowe's? :shrug:

Good luck :huggy:

Toxick

Splat
czygvtwkr said:
Anyone out there have Bettas?

I had one against my will in the early 90's.

I had this whole aquarium setup in my house. It was beautiful, the water had perfect pH and salinity, and all my tropical fish, including angelfish, clownfish, discuss, guppies, mollies, snails...

And my roommate noticed that I didn't have any blue fish in the tank, and decided to help out by introducing a nice beautiful blue betta to the tank.

:smack:

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Toxick said:
I had one against my will in the early 90's.

I had this whole aquarium setup in my house. It was beautiful, the water had perfect pH and salinity, and all my tropical fish, including angelfish, clownfish, discuss, guppies, mollies, snails...

And my roommate noticed that I didn't have any blue fish in the tank, and decided to help out by introducing a nice beautiful blue betta to the tank.

:smack:

Am I correct that Betta's do not get along with any other fish?

Toxick

Splat
sanchezf said:
Am I correct that Betta's do not get along with any other fish?

You are correct.

In fact, another name for Betta is "Siamese Fighting Fish"

They're sold in those little individual fishbowls for a reason.

C

czygvtwkr

Actually Bettas will get along fine with other peaceful fish. But they are extreemly territorial when it comes to other male bettas.

The split tank isn't the best of ideas because the bettas can see each other and will always be in a state of aggression. It also means that if one gets a disease the other will probably get it too. If its the kind of tank where the water is common between both sides. I dont think I have ever seen one where both sides are completely isolated.

I put a mirror in front of mine once and a while to watch him flare up but only for 15 minutes or so cause it tires the little guy out.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
czygvtwkr said:
Actually Bettas will get along fine with other peaceful fish. But they are extreemly territorial when it comes to other male bettas.
That's what I was told too, but it didn't stop my betta from systematically murdering the other fish in the tank over a period of a few weeks. :killingme

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
My mom had one for about a week. It looked a little sick one day and she got so upset that when he got better, she gave him to her BFF so she wouldn't have to go through that again. She sees him on Fridays and every other Wednesday.

He's still alive! :yahoo:

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !
Nickel said:
That's what I was told too, but it didn't stop my betta from systematically murdering the other fish in the tank over a period of a few weeks. :killingme
If I dig a moat around the back lot I could use one has a guard fish. :lmao:

StarCat

We had 2, in a split tank for about 2 weeks. I looked and one of them had died. I took him out, cleaned out the tank, and put the other one back in, then he died that night. I took the partition out and cleaned everything and now have one betta in there. He seems to be doing alright, but he wont eat anything but blood worms. The food they told me to get at Petsmart, he turns his nose up at it. Today, I tried to feed him and he didnt eat, but he was swimming around the tank like he was on speed. Hope he lives :ohwell:

CityGrl

Time for a nap
I used to have one... :killingme

Attachments

• SunnyBlue.jpg
    SunnyBlue.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 162
S

starr

I had one that lived with goldfish for years and he never started a fight.