Hummingbirds

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
are here....Put my feeder up two weekends ago and there was one there this weekend. Get your feeders up!

bestfriend

coal cracker
BS Gal said:
are here....Put my feeder up two weekends ago and there was one there this weekend. Get your feeders up!

Keep it fresh, and don't get discouraged if they disappear for a few weeks while they are raising their young. Believe it or not, the young are only fed insects until they mature. Then they and their young will feed at the feeders. I often see them with insects the whole season. Good luck with your feeders.

R

remaxrealtor

BS Gal said:
Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :howdy:

I just told my father the other day to put his up. He said he read you have to wait until May :rolleyes:. One year he had 8 of them. Interesting little creatures!

oldman

Lobster Land
BS Gal said:

Had an old farmer tell me just yesterday that they usually appear when the dogwood trees come out in blossom - and they are now.

cattitude said:
You're kidding, right? They are fun to watch but they are the nastiest little suckers. :lol:

The dominant ones are nasty (probably the females :lmao: ). They chase off the others from the feeders.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Speedy70 said:
The dominant ones are nasty (probably the females :lmao: ). They chase off the others from the feeders.

Yeah, the females are fussy. I usually run about 5 large feeders and fill them twice a day. I go through sugar at an alarming rate. I guess I'll put up one now until they really get rolling, which is usually in June.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
cattitude said:
You're kidding, right? They are fun to watch but they are the nastiest little suckers. :lol:

I haven't noticed any of them being mean ol biddities toward each other.

cattitude said:
Yeah, the females are fussy. I usually run about 5 large feeders and fill them twice a day. I go through sugar at an alarming rate. I guess I'll put up one now until they really get rolling, which is usually in June.

I can't remember how many feeders my Dad has, but it's probably around 5 or 6. :confused:

Do you put red dye in yours? I've read conflicting stories about using the red dye. Some say it causes cancer in their beaks. My parents don't use the dye and the hummingbirds are fine with that. :shrug:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Speedy70 said:
I can't remember how many feeders my Dad has, but it's probably around 5 or 6. :confused:

Do you put red dye in yours? I've read conflicting stories about using the red dye. Some say it causes cancer in their beaks. My parents don't use the dye and the hummingbirds are fine with that. :shrug:

Nope, no dye.

I love to see them in the spring but by the end of the summer I'm :dead:

And I need to figure out a way to keep my little raccoon buddy from drinking at his favorite feeder. :lol:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Speedy70 said:
What to do about the ants though?

I get the little green things from Wentworths. Can't think what they're called but they're around $5/$6 and they repel the ants. You hang them in between the feeder and the hanger that you hang the feeder on. They work like a charm. :yay:

cattitude said:
I get the little green things from Wentworths. Can't think what they're called but they're around $5/$6 and they repel the ants. You hang them in between the feeder and the hanger that you hang the feeder on. They work like a charm. :yay:

Thanks, I'll let my Dad know!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We got loads of hummingbird-moths... weirdest looking creatures, but they love the dianthus..

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
We got loads of hummingbird-moths... weirdest looking creatures, but they love the dianthus..

I get them around here, too, and think they're cool looking. They definitely love dianthus and all the aromatic flowers.

I finally saw my first hummer today. :yay: One of my clemantis has exploded with blossom openings this weekend and they are loving it.