reptiles

I used to have 2. 1 was a rescue from a previous owner that didn't know how to care for it. The other was bought as a bebe when I was in college. The rescued one only lived for about a month after I got it, it was in rough shape. I sold my other one to a pet shop when it was about 2 years old. As much as I tried to handle it, it still turned mean. Biting and whipping it's tail at everybody.

College roommate and I bought iggys at the same time. His lived for quite a long time. About 8-10 years I believe. His was very gentle.

Eventually I will get another reptile. Not sure if I will get a lizard or a snake. Maybe both?

just.me

huntr1 said:
I used to have 2. 1 was a rescue from a previous owner that didn't know how to care for it. The other was bought as a bebe when I was in college. The rescued one only lived for about a month after I got it, it was in rough shape. I sold my other one to a pet shop when it was about 2 years old. As much as I tried to handle it, it still turned mean. Biting and whipping it's tail at everybody.

College roommate and I bought iggys at the same time. His lived for quite a long time. About 8-10 years I believe. His was very gentle.

Eventually I will get another reptile. Not sure if I will get a lizard or a snake. Maybe both?

I rescued Spike last year. He was kept in really bad conditions. I have learned a lot about igs since then...my son has a ball python. I think snakes are some of the best pets. We also have others but the snake is the easiest....oh, the scorpion is pretty easy too.

onebdzee

off the shelf
just.me said:
Any other iguana owners here?

Got one for my brother about 8 years ago....she's pretty tame

He has her set up in a room of her own in his condo:yay:

At last measurement she was 5ft (with tail)

just.me

onebdzee said:
Got one for my brother about 8 years ago....she's pretty tame

He has her set up in a room of her own in his condo:yay:

At last measurement she was 5ft (with tail)
Spike is about 47 inches head to tail. Do you know if there are any reptile vets in the area? I just wanna get a check up for him to make sure he is ok. He seems healthy enough...and I need an enclosure for him for outside...any ideas, anyone?

StanleyRugg

Lord no, reptiles creep me out. I have had plenty of pets, there was Harley my pet rooster, Orvil my Pet raccoon and a pig named Adam West on account I like the fella that played Batman on TV. I liked when Batman would punch a bad guy and WHAM! and POW! would appear on the TV screen.

Reptiles are just spooky, Momma Rugg says the only good snake is a dead one and I gotta agree. She said reptiles are the devils soldiers and they are just waiting for a chance to either swallow you whole or eat your face right off.

I saw a TV program about Kimodo dragons that live on some Island by New Jersey. Kimodo dragons are huge lizards that eat people and after watchin that show I could not sleep for a week.

Nosiree, wont catch me with no reptiles as a pet. Some things are just not meant to be kept and need to live free. And I wont be going to New Jersey neither.

just.me

cattitude said:

Yeah, he was living in a 55 gal. aquarium when I got him, so I was advised that his growth had probably been stunted so he might go thru a growth spurt. In about 6 months he has grown almost 8 inches.... :yay:
I am trying to figure out a harness/leash system so I can take him out into the yard so he can graze.... :jameo:

Most enclosures I have seen were just a frame of 2x4's with heavy chickenwire over it. Nicest I have seen was about 6'x4'x7' w/ a shelf about 2' down from the top about 2' deep, with a large tree branch going from top to bottom of the cage and it had a branch about 1/2 way up that split off to give the ig somewhere else to lay, it also had a nice "room" on the bottom to let the ig get under cover when needed. Room had a carpeted top and plexiglass sides on it so you could see inside it. They also had a large plastic box (like you'd use to store wrapping paper) in the bottom full of water for the ig to "swim" in. Ig had been trained to use a litterbox, so there was one in there that could be slid out the side of the cage, without having to open the cage to get it.

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
We have Godzilla. A big male. 54 inches long at last measure. (males get to 6 feet!) Peaches our 48 inch (full grown) female died last year. Godzilla has a big cage but we leave it open so he just roams where/whenever he wants to. His favorite place is my bed room window. He likes to lounge in the sun.

We take all of our pets, reptiles included, to St. Mary's Vet.