HOA's and their control

Animals4Life

HOA (Home Owner's Association), get used to that term if you ever try and buy land in a development because you will have to deal with an HOA. My husband and I have had a contract on a piece of property that is over 9 acres to be able to build our dream home but the HOA has denied us because we requested that my horse, pony and 2 miniature horses be allowed also. Anyone had any dealings with an HOA and their discriminating ways? Any thoughts? :war:

slotted

Animals4Life said:
HOA (Home Owner's Association), get used to that term if you ever try and buy land in a development because you will have to deal with an HOA. My husband and I have had a contract on a piece of property that is over 9 acres to be able to build our dream home but the HOA has denied us because we requested that my horse, pony and 2 miniature horses be allowed also. Anyone had any dealings with an HOA and their discriminating ways? Any thoughts? :war:
Look for a different property? :shrug:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
slotted said:
Look for a different property? :shrug:
:yeahthat: When we were buying our house almost every one we looked at that was in a development was either controlled by an existing HOA, or deed restrictions were in place to lay the groundwork for a future HOA. There are pros and cons, but I don't think there's much you can do about it, considering that you don't even live there.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
I have 2 acres, and HOA's wouldnt let me have my Rotti, needless to say, I found 2 acres elsewhere...

HOA is a bunch of BS if you ask me... Aint NOBODY gonna tell me I can't have my Rotti, and aint NOBODY gonna make me cut my grass, or tell me how many cars I can have parked at my house... etc...etc...

F*CUK HOA.......

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Animals4Life said:

Yup. I have been known to call them "Neighborhood Nazis."

Animals4Life

That is my feeling also but we have been looking for over a year and this is the only property in the location we want that was affordable and the right size. My hubby is dead set on this property. I was thinking of just telling the HOA to Kiss my ***!!

HunterJJD

Animals4Life said:

I would want to see it in writing. They need all the by-laws in writing and legal like. If it is writing and with a date before todays, well you are screwed then, send me the address then I am looking for a place to put in a new shooting range. That will make then wish you was there

JD

slotted

Animals4Life said:
That is my feeling also but we have been looking for over a year and this is the only property in the location we want that was affordable and the right size. My hubby is dead set on this property.
Funny thing about life, we don't always get what we want. Sometimes you have to compromise.
I was thinking of just telling the HOA to Kiss my ***!!
I'm sure that's going to help. :sarcasm:

Vince

Nothing but bad experiences with HOA's. Had some moron tell me I couldn't cut a tree on my own property without the HOA's permission. Needless to say about 5 seconds later the tree was on the ground while she watched. I then told her, "iinstead of bothering me about a tree that was already dead, why don't you start enforcing the convenants on keeping junk cars in the yard. I've got a neighbor that now has about 5. Enough is enough.

I have always lived in 'hoods w/ an HOA. When we moved to St. Mary's, our 'hood was brand new. I volunteered to be HOA President to make sure that it did not become a bunch of "Neighborhood Nazis." I want(ed) to make sure that the HOA was as unobtrusive as possible. Only thing we care about is that people do their HOA maintenance (cutting the grass on common area property) and that the fences around the ugly azz stormwater retention ponds are in good repair. I have only had 1 complaint about somebody breaking a rule in 4 years. If you wanted to paint your house dayglo orange and purple, you could do it in my 'hood. You want to put a 4 story addition on your rancher? Have fun.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Softballkid said:
I have 2 acres, and HOA's wouldnt let me have my Rotti, needless to say, I found 2 acres elsewhere...

HOA is a bunch of BS if you ask me... Aint NOBODY gonna tell me I can't have my Rotti, and aint NOBODY gonna make me cut my grass, or tell me how many cars I can have parked at my house... etc...etc...

F*CUK HOA.......
You don't mow lawns? You may be slipping down a rung on my list of possible boy toys. :lmao:

Seriously though, our HOA has never said anything about grass and membership is optional. I just feel guilty if the neighbors on either side mow their lawns and mine is sitting there looking nasty.

misslady67

Nickel said:
:yeahthat: When we were buying our house almost every one we looked at that was in a development was either controlled by an existing HOA, or deed restrictions were in place to lay the groundwork for a future HOA. There are pros and cons, but I don't think there's much you can do about it, considering that you don't even live there.

Speaking as a member of the Board of Directors for my HOA :tap: When you buy a property that has an HOA you should know what you're buying into. Be an informed consumer. If you are totally against HOA's then don't buy a anything in an area that has one. They are set up (for the most part) to help maintain a community, it's surrounding property, and to keep the value of the homes at their best. Can they be annoying...YES. I am on the board to ensure that I know what is going on and make sure I know where my dues are being spent. Playing an active role gives you a better understanding JMO. At least you're finding this out BEFORE you purchase. You'd be surprized at how many people have no clue what bylaws and covenants even mean :lmao: Be thankkful you are wise enough to have the information you need to make your decision now. I would look somewhere else. Bylaws/covenants are NOT easy to change. Good Luck. :howdy:

Ponytail

Vince said:
Nothing but bad experiences with HOA's. Had some moron tell me I couldn't cut a tree on my own property without the HOA's permission. Needless to say about 5 seconds later the tree was on the ground while she watched. I then told her, "iinstead of bothering me about a tree that was already dead, why don't you start enforcing the convenants on keeping junk cars in the yard. I've got a neighbor that now has about 5. Enough is enough.

:lol: Same thing happened to me. Just one more neighbor that I don't have to worry about talking to me ever again. :angel: Though, I AM that neighbor with vehicles parked in the yard, now that I'm not worried about that tree falling on them any more. :lol:

As far as buying acreage in a development...you won't win that one. Sounds like it's gonna be another pricey development, and most folks don't spend that kind of cash to wake up smelling horsechit every morning.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
bresamil said:
You don't mow lawns? You may be slipping down a rung on my list of possible boy toys. :lmao:

Seriously though, our HOA has never said anything about grass and membership is optional. I just feel guilty if the neighbors on either side mow their lawns and mine is sitting there looking nasty.

Depends what kinda lawn hunny :wink:

I mean, I cut my grass, but I do it when I feel its needed, if it hasnt rained in a week, there is no need...it aint happening, I work with alot of people who have HOA's, and they all talk about how they have to all put down fertilizer in "this" time frame, they have to cut grass "atleast" once a week, they can only have 4 cars in their driveway, no dogs over 40lbs, etc..etc...

You might as well rent an apartment instead of owning YOUR home if your going to have to deal with all that kinda crap...

Now granted, there may be some decent places on HOA as 2 of you have stated, but me, nope, never, notta, I wont be there if there is HOA involved

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Softballkid said:
Depends what kinda lawn hunny :wink:

I mean, I cut my grass, but I do it when I feel its needed, if it hasnt rained in a week, there is no need...it aint happening, I work with alot of people who have HOA's, and they all talk about how they have to all put down fertilizer in "this" time frame, they have to cut grass "atleast" once a week, they can only have 4 cars in their driveway, no dogs over 40lbs, etc..etc...

You might as well rent an apartment instead of owning YOUR home if your going to have to deal with all that kinda crap...

Now granted, there may be some decent places on HOA as 2 of you have stated, but me, nope, never, notta, I wont be there if there is HOA involved
Luckily our HOA hasn't been set up yet, and may not even get off the ground. If it does, I'm going to try to make sure I can get on the board so I know what's going on. We do have deed restrictions, supposedly enforced by the construction company that originally bought the land and developed it, but they aren't real strict about it. We asked them about putting up a fence, and they told us to just go for it, as long as it met the deed restrictions we were fine. I think the only thing it says about pets is that they can't be "livestock" or something like that. A house that I loved that we didn't get had a restriction allowing only 2 pets...I thought that was pretty stupid.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I love an HOA. I always picture people who ##### about HOAs as these people who have junk cars in their yard, pitbulls running free, dressing deer in their front yards, etc.

I pay good money to live in a neighborhood where I don't have to deal with the neighbor's weeds fluffing over into my yard. And some day I might want to sell my home, and it won't do to have the house next door with siding falling off and in a state of general disrepair.

moon5leg

It's not easy being green
Animals4Life said:

I think it's only discriminating if they've allowed other folks to have horses and are now turning you down. If not, then it's not necessarily discriminating, it's just rules.

Maybe some of the folks that are in that neighborhood wouldn't want to wake up on a beautiful summer morning, open up their windows and take a nice deep breath of the smell of horseshiat.

I think you're S.O.L. in this case. Covenants rarely (if ever) get changed by anybody other than the current board of directors. The odds of you winning a legal fight against an HOA that doesn't want to change their covenants to suit your own personal preferences are not in your favor.