Celibacy

MMDad

Lem Putt
Let me preface this with the comment that I am not trying to :elaine: , I am just trying to understand what Catholicism is based on.

I am not aware of anything in the Bible that advocates celibacy, by priests or anyone else. In fact, I see "be fruitful and multiply" to be pretty straightforward.

Is there any biblical basis for priests to be celibate?

oldman

Lobster Land
MMDad said:
Let me preface this with the comment that I am not trying to :elaine: , I am just trying to understand what Catholicism is based on.

I am not aware of anything in the Bible that advocates celibacy, by priests or anyone else. In fact, I see "be fruitful and multiply" to be pretty straightforward.

Is there any biblical basis for priests to be celibate?

I am not Catholic and haven't read the bible in many years, but for some reason "Do not your neighbor comes to mind".

Last edited by a moderator:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Priests and nuns are "married" to God and the Church - it is their only loyalty. Sex outside of marriage is obviously out of the question, and they can't get married because they're already "married" to God.

Religious doctrine says that Jesus was chaste, and priests and nuns are supposed to strive to be like Jesus.

CMC122

Go Braves!
I understood the Celibacy actually had to do with property:really: I may be totally wrong about this BUT I recall it as.........

IN the way longa ago past a priest was the property owner of his church, if he were to have a wife the property would then go to her if he were to pass away. In order to keep the property part of the church it was decided that priests couldn't have a wife so the property would then be willed back to the higher ups in the church.

Then again I learned that in my Episcopalian sunday school:jameo: We were the rebels of the Catholic church ya know:lol:

Last edited:

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
I think if the catholic church would relent and let priests marry they'd have a lot less fondling of little boys etc.

Alot of the catholic church doctrine is wayyyyyyyy outdated.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
CMC122 said:
I understood the Celibacy actually had to do with property:really: I may be totally wrong about this BUT I recall it as.........

IN the way longa ago past a priest was the property owner of his church, if he were to have a wife the property would then go to her if he were to pass away. In order to keep the property part of the church it was decided that priests couldn't have a wife so the property would then be willed back to the higher ups in the church.
THIS makes a LOT of sense to me.. and would agree that it was probably more "business" reasoning, then biblical.. Does it make ANY sense that the most holy, the most deserving aren't allowed to propagate?? And then they are the ones you are supposed to seek counsel from for marital problems??

MMDad

Lem Putt
I understand the modern reasons, but is there any biblical basis?

The main problem I have with Mormonism is inventing rules that are not based on the bible. Is there any biblical basis for celibacy?

greyhound

vraiblonde said:
Priests and nuns are "married" to God and the Church - it is their only loyalty. Sex outside of marriage is obviously out of the question, and they can't get married because they're already "married" to God.

Religious doctrine says that Jesus was chaste, and priests and nuns are supposed to strive to be like Jesus.

chaste: pure in thought and act : MODEST

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
MysticalMom said:
I think if the catholic church would relent and let priests marry they'd have a lot less fondling of little boys etc.
I don't think of marriage and fondling little boys as being an either/or type of thing. And not all priests have a problem with their celibacy vows, just the homosexual ones.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
MMDad said:
I understand the modern reasons, but is there any biblical basis?

The main problem I have with Mormonism is inventing rules that are not based on the bible. Is there any biblical basis for celibacy?
The Catholic Church makes up its own rules, too. Sorry, Catholics, but it's true. Purgatory is not in the Bible. And neither is the Immaculate Conception. In fact, Mary has a very small Biblical role.

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
vraiblonde said:
I don't think of marriage and fondling little boys as being an either/or type of thing. And not all priests have a problem with their celibacy vows, just the homosexual ones.

Ahhhhh..good point.

supersurfer

In 1st Corinthians, Paul says that it is good to remain unmarried, but if people can't contain themselves, it is better to marry than burn in hell. It is thought that an unmarried Christian can devote more time and focus on God while not having all of the family issues in your way. The Catholic Church takes this more literal than other churches requiring priests to remain unmarried and celibate.

1 Corinthians 7:8-9 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. V9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

MMDad

Lem Putt
supersurfer said:
In 1st Corinthians, Paul says that it is good to remain unmarried, but if people can't contain themselves, it is better to marry than burn in hell. It is thought that an unmarried Christian can devote more time and focus on God while not having all of the family issues in your way. The Catholic Church takes this more literal than other churches requiring priests to remain unmarried and celibate.

1 Corinthians 7:8-9 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. V9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.
Thanks for the reference.

bcp

In My Opinion
supersurfer said:
for it is better to marry than to burn.

one could have so much fun with this line, yet, on a religion thread I fear that those thoughts that are screaming deep from within me, would not be taken in the best light. So, I must refrain from making any reference to my inlaws or my father in laws plight, as this would be the wrong place to do it.

I will go now and sit in that corner,,, yes, the one right over there, and slap myself for my impure and ignorant thoughts.

camily

Peace
vraiblonde said:
The Catholic Church makes up its own rules, too. Sorry, Catholics, but it's true. Purgatory is not in the Bible. And neither is the Immaculate Conception. In fact, Mary has a very small Biblical role.
What do you mean Immaculate Conception isn't in the Bible? I have to disagree about the small role part too. She was the only person worthy of being Jesus' mother. How can that be a small role?