Hummingbirds and Ants

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
What is the best way to prevent ants from invading an outdoor hummingbird feeder? I'm imagining that using an ant killer near the feeder is a bad idea, as the toxins would inadvertently harm or kill the hummingbirds.

Anyone with ideas, please? I had the most amazing hummingbird visit this afternoon, and I'd love to have her - and some of her beautiful feathered friends - return without the fear of harming them.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Go to Wentworths and get the ant traps made specifically for hummingbird feeders. Work like a charm.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
cattitude said:
Go to Wentworths and get the ant traps made specifically for hummingbird feeders. Work like a charm.
Thank you...

I think I've got BG converted to being a Hummingbird fan!!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
itsbob said:
Thank you...

I think I've got BG converted to being a Hummingbird fan!!

I'm the hummingbird queen of Calvert County. They are amazing and if you start now, by the time the boy is a few years old, you should have a nice little flock for him to enjoy. :yay:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Every year I put up 3 feeders and I get so many hummingbirds, my neighbors are so jealous. I had just got 1 up last weekend and within an hour I had my first. Love to sit and watch them.

Jameo

What?!
I'll have to tell my father to get his feeders out. He sits out on the patio and watches them all time during the summer :yay:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I was in my thirties before I saw my first hummingbird.. was starting to think they were just another snipe!

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
The girls and I hand fed humming birds of all different kinds at a Rocklands Bird Sanctuary in Jamaica. You just hold the little bottle in one hand, and put your other finger up as a sorta perch. They lightly land on your finger to eat. It was a little freaky with those things buzzing all around my head and arms, but soooooooo cool. Quite an experince.

I have some pics somewhere. I'll have to find them and post them.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
khuseman said:
Cooking oil works too if you put it on the string that holds the feeder...the ants get stuck while trying to go to the feeder.. hope you find this helpful :)
Our feeders are stuck on the windows so they have to fly right to us to eat.. one's on the kitchen window and this one little *like he can be anything BUT little* bugger flew up and started eating while I was doing the dishes

Ponytail

I sprayed some motorcycle chain/cable lube (thick nasty chit) on the branch (circumference) on both sides of the strap that's holding the feeder. It's been over a year since the first application and still no more ants. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I've also found a thick ring of Vick's Vaporub or even plain petroleum jelly around the pole or branch stops them dead in their tracks. :yay: But that didn't stop the wasps and insects, so I bought some feeders that are ant and wasp proof. They work great! :clap:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Last year, True Value, I believe had these little cups (round red things) that you hung above the feeder and filled with water. Then you hung the feeder from that. The ants can't get to the feeder because they drown. I get so many hummingbirds at work that it is like an airport when you walk out the front door. I love them.