Tacky women

If you looked absolutely tacky, would you want someone to tell you?

• Yes! Who wants to look tacky?

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • No! It's none of their damn business what I look like.

Votes: 19 40.4%

• Total voters

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There's this woman I know up here - she's not really a friend, but we are friendly and have been to each others' house socially, like that.

She could be really attractive BUT she overtans so she's this weird color - almost a brick red, with blinding white around her eyes. And she wears highly frosted eye shadow and dark brown lipstick, plus she overfrosts her hair so it looks totally Kansas City.

I keep wanting to say something to her. If it were my best friend, I'd simply go, "Look, Janice, the 70's are over and you're to old to pull off 'retro'. Say bye bye to this eye shadow because I'm throwing it away." But I don't know this woman well enough to do that.

So my question is:

If you did your hair/makeup in a way that made you look completely heinous, would you want someone to point it out? Or would you be offended because obviously you like this look or you wouldn't be wearing it?

meangirl

Nice lady!
vraiblonde said:
So my question is:

If you did your hair/makeup in a way that made you look completely heinous, would you want someone to point it out? Or would you be offended because obviously you like this look or you wouldn't be wearing it?

I would want someone to tell me. :yay:

watercolor

yeah yeah
ahh! Mimi at large! LOL! That is what I think of when I think of the eyeshadow stuff.

Nothing useful to say in regards to your post. Just felt like commenting. :lol:

If it were me- I would want someone to say it!

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
There was a Simpsons episode where Homer invented a shotgun that fired makeup. You could adjust the amount of make up from "work", "night on the town" or "whore". He set it on whore and fired it at Marge. It made Mimi look normal. :lmao:

sinwagon

I think I would want someone to tell me but as you stated, I may be offended if it were coming from someone I was not close to. A close friend, no problem I can take it!

My aunt is like that. She will be 50 this year, she is married to a 35 year old man (her daughter is 34) and she went from this barely an Acup boob to a double D! She has a tiny waist, a tattoo and piercing across her mid section, tans constantly. No hair new hair do is ever good enough until she gets it to go right back into that 80's Peg Bundy hump w/ long layers on the side. She recently got her nipple pierced. She still wears tight straight legged pants and wears belly shirts and I always tease her saying that instead of using the black liquid eyeliner, she should just use a sharpy!

She has a nice body and cute face but she does not look 35 well hell I am 32 and don't dress like that. I try to tell her that I don't think she should dress like an "old lady" but atleast get w/ the times!

sushisamba

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr
vraiblonde said:
So my question is:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Unless she's blind too, she sees other women with nicely hightlighted hair and makeup from the 2000s. If she thinks she looks good, we should applaud her nonconformity. :shrug:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
It depends; if it's something that is simply a matter of preference for someone else (they don't like the blue shade of my blouse, or they think you shouldn't wear anything but boots with gauchos), then I don't really care what they think. If it's something serious ("something about mary" hair, or "that time of the month and I chose white pants" syndrome :yikes:), then yea, tell me. :lol:

In the case of your friend who over-tans, I'd approach it with something like, "Ya know, I read in (enter magazine title) that the less-tan look is really 'in' now." She is obviously concerned with what others think if she's tanning the hell out of her body like that, so she'd probably buy what the next "in" thing is. You'd think she'd have been turned off by smelling her body cooking from all that tanning by now. :lol: But other than that, it's really just a matter of personal preference (the extent to which she tans). I'm sure she'll ease up when her skin starts dripping with cancer. :shrug:

vraiblonde said:
So my question is:

I think it's pretty dayum imposing of you to assume she needs to be "rescued"...:lol: She may be tacky and hideous to you, but she may very well be the queen of someone's life who loves her just the way she is and she may be very happy with herself.

I agree with Crabcake that if someone is oblivious to something that is obviously "not right" then it would be appropriate to let them know something is out of order. However, I don't see anything positive being accomplished by busting on someone's sense of style just because it doesn't appeal to you.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
kwillia said:
I think it's pretty dayum imposing of you to assume she needs to be "rescued"...:lol: She may be tacky and hideous to you, but she may very well be the queen of someone's life who loves her just the way she is and she may be very happy with herself.

I agree with Crabcake that if someone is oblivious to something that is obviously "not right" then it would be appropriate to let them know something is out of order. However, I don't see anything positive being accomplished by busting on someone's sense of style just because it doesn't appeal to you.
:clap: Although, you have to admit, she does sound like she could use a makeover. :lol:

Chasey_Lane said:
:clap: Although, you have to admit, she does sound like she could use a makeover. :lol:
Do you ever watch the "What not to Wear" shows? It's a lot of fun watching the transformations.