Suggestions for Teachers Appreciation Week/Day

D

Dixie

For those that appreciate our children's teachers - Teacher's Appreciation Week is officially May 8 - May 12 with Tuesday May 9th designated as Teacher's Appreciation Day.

I was surprised to hear that teachers frequently take money out of their own pockets for classroom supplies and with that in mind would like to get a gift basket of sorts put together with arts/crafts/school supplies for my son's class. Soliciting suggestions from anyone but especially teachers/subs on the forum for something beyond crayons, markers, pencils etc.

L

ladylara

former teacher here...

gift certificates FOR HER would be great!!!!!! yes - teachers do pay for their classroom kids - not just supplies - but extra goodies for behavior rewards and class parties. i used to throw a big popcorn shindig when my kids collectively got 100's on their spelling tests. (talk about motivation!) i also did big fun stuff for class compliments - we always worked on manners and if the kids got 20 good compliments that 'the teacher' heard in front of the kids - we'd have a big blowout! :D

but, back on topic - anything for HER is appreciated. ie: g/c to starbucks, massage, local restaurants, bath and body works, movie tickets, etc.

D

Dixie

ladylara said:
former teacher here...

gift certificates FOR HER would be great!!!!!! yes - teachers do pay for their classroom kids - not just supplies - but extra goodies for behavior rewards and class parties. i used to throw a big popcorn shindig when my kids collectively got 100's on their spelling tests. (talk about motivation!) i also did big fun stuff for class compliments - we always worked on manners and if the kids got 20 good compliments that 'the teacher' heard in front of the kids - we'd have a big blowout! :D

but, back on topic - anything for HER is appreciated. ie: g/c to starbucks, massage, local restaurants, bath and body works, movie tickets, etc.

The only thing I have against gift certificates is the visuals. It's a special education group and well gift certificates aren't very visual. I'm sending in a cake, thank you cards hopefully circulated and I wanted something that the kids could actually give her. Have you ever gotten anything that week that you really appreciated????

L

ladylara

Dixie said:
The only thing I have against gift certificates is the visuals. It's a special education group and well gift certificates aren't very visual. I'm sending in a cake, thank you cards hopefully circulated and I wanted something that the kids could actually give her. Have you ever gotten anything that week that you really appreciated????
i really liked when the kids gave me photo frames with their pics in it! that was sweet. and those gift certificates are super nice! i got tickets to a movie theater and a little gc for dinner out - kind of like a little date for me and hubbie. that was awesome!
you can MAKE it visual - by having your kids decorate a card for the gc. or even plunk it right down in the middle of the icing!

cholo

¡Tengo una tarjeta verde!
Dixie said:

As the spouse of a teacher, I'll tell you that gift certificates are :yay: :yay: :yay: (especially if they are for a car dealership)

You can make it visually interesting for the kids by putting it in an envelope or basket that they decorate.

I always tell the teacher before school starts that if she ever needs anything for the classroom to let me know, and I will get it for her. We do this instead of selling the overpriced crap that the school wants them to sell. I'd rather spend $20.00 on school supplies and have the teacher benefit from the entire $20.00, than spend $20.00 on some 8 oz. cheesecake that is gonna sit in the freezer for 2 years, and the school only gets $4.00 for.

I am thinking that we will send in a box of pencils (as in big box from BJ's), a couple boxes of crayons, some glue sticks and a couple pair of scissors, all in a nice storage box that can be re-used, and also put in a GC for Target/Circut City/Best Buy/Borders.

D

Dixie

ladylara said:
i really liked when the kids gave me photo frames with their pics in it! that was sweet. and those gift certificates are super nice! i got tickets to a movie theater and a little gc for dinner out - kind of like a little date for me and hubbie. that was awesome!
you can MAKE it visual - by having your kids decorate a card for the gc. or even plunk it right down in the middle of the icing!

I have five teachers to buy for that's why I'm sorta shooting for a big basket type thing instead.

L

ladylara

starbucks - starbucks - starbucks!!!! a big basket of some beans and a mug or two and some little g/c's to share among them. if they are anything like the groups i've taught with, one of them has a coffee pot in their room! :)

cdsulhoff

slotted said:
I have no effing clue, I just like watching a good face punch.

OMG!!! That was funny!!! I could not make out what was said but who cares. That woman laid a good one.. :boxing:

cdsulhoff

cdsulhoff said:
OMG!!! That was funny!!! I could not make out what was said but who cares. That woman laid a good one.. :boxing:

white haired lady says - she is
woman who punches says - trash
woman who gets punched says -??? "smoked marijuana together, did you know that honey?" what was said after that ?