Hey Lexi, I was "profiled" this morning.

Pete

Repete
I stopped at a local convenience store for a pack of smokes this morning. Got off the bike, went in, paid for them, came back out and I was putting on my helmet and gloves while a lady pulled in next to me. She got out and started into the store, paused briefly, looked at me, saw the Harley, black leather jacket, chaps and then promptly turned fished her key fob out of her pocket and locked her car then walked the 8 feet into the store.

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
Pete said:
I stopped at a local convenience store for a pack of smokes this morning. Got off the bike, went in, paid for them, came back out and I was putting on my helmet and gloves while a lady pulled in next to me. She got out and started into the store, paused briefly, looked at me, saw the Harley, black leather jacket, chaps and then promptly turned fished her key fob out of her pocket and locked her car then walked the 8 feet into the store.
I hate that!! I do not look like I ride a bike, but when I do I wear a bandana to keep my hair from getting tangled, and wear boots. I get the same thing!! We went on the bike to a restaurant recently where you seat yourself, and no one would sit near us.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
harleygirl said:
I hate that!! I do not look like I ride a bike, but when I do I wear a bandana to keep my hair from getting tangled, and wear boots. I get the same thing!! We went on the bike to a restaurant recently where you seat yourself, and no one would sit near us.
Maybe I should start dressing like a biker.... :coffee:

Pete said:
Yeah, like you'd steal her car and leave the bike. :lmao:

morganj614

harleygirl said:

:lol: A bunch of us were riding in Savannah and I was on the back of my sons bike. I got a good laugh watching this old gentleman grab his wife and pull her back from the sidewalk as we passed :killingme

J

juggy4805

I get that response sometimes when I wear jeans and a dress shirt. :shrug: :ohwell:

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
Pete said:

There is no explanation about that, I could see if you were dressed like a poor person. She obviously doesn't know that your outfit, bike and gear probably cost more than anything she had in that car, if not the car too.

You should have took the opt to go back in the store and tell her that you understand why she might want to have her keyless device checked because a homeless man just opened the passenger door and got in. Then walk off.

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Pete said:

:roflmao: My old man gets that all the time. He can look mean riding up on his Harely in his leather jacket, chaps and head rag thingie. Especially with the stern look he wears.

mainman

Set Trippin
Pete said:
Good one...:roflmao: :killingme

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
LexiGirl75 said:
There is no explanation about that, I could see if you were dressed like a poor person. She obviously doesn't know that your outfit, bike and gear probably cost more than anything she had in that car, if not the car too.

You should have took the opt to go back in the store and tell her that you understand why she might want to have her keyless device checked because a homeless man just opened the passenger door and got in. Then walk off.
:killingme And here I thought you empathized with the struggles of those trying to work their way up and out...

I think I found a perfect emoticon for you! ~~~> :confused:

:lmao:

all in fun :razz:

Toxick

Splat
LexiGirl75 said:
There is no explanation about that

Sure there is.

The explanation is: She doesn't know him. Based on what she saw he's a "biker". She probably doesn't know many bikers and people fear the unknown. Especially when the media paints bikers as hostile criminals.

Ignorant? Maybe.

But IMO it's even more ignorant to blithely wonder through life pretending to trust everyone (or even worse: actually trusting everyone) for the sake of political correctness.

I lock my car whenever I go in somewhere - If there happens to be bikers (or skinheads, or yakuza, any put-upon ethnic group) nearby, I don't much care if they think I'm locking it against them. I AM locking it against them - right along with everyone else. I'll be damned if I'm going to leave my stuff unguarded so that it looks like I'm a trusting, tolerant and enlightened.

Pete: I wouldn't take it personally. You know that if she knew you, she'd've fallen back with her legs up in the air.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Pete said:

It probably had to do with you not wearing anything BUT chaps and a leather jacket. :shrug:

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
virgovictoria said:
:killingme And here I thought you empathized with the struggles of those trying to work their way up and out...

I think I found a perfect emoticon for you! ~~~> :confused:

:lmao:

all in fun :razz:

Good one... Yeah, I pretty much said that wrong. :smack: > bad Lexi.

What I meant to say, :clearsthroat: is that I can see if he was dressed like a homeless or a crack head. Everyone is suspicious about them (whether it's right or wrong). And yes, I pretty much watch my valuables like everyone else when it comes to potential theft. Unlike the lady I would have locked my door without a 2nd thought regardless of who was around.

Pete

Repete
Toxick said:
Sure there is.

The explanation is: She doesn't know him. Based on what she saw he's a "biker". She probably doesn't know many bikers and people fear the unknown. Especially when the media paints bikers as hostile criminals.

Ignorant? Maybe.

But IMO it's even more ignorant to blithely wonder through life pretending to trust everyone (or even worse: actually trusting everyone) for the sake of political correctness.

I lock my car whenever I go in somewhere - If there happens to be bikers (or skinheads, or yakuza, any put-upon ethnic group) nearby, I don't much care if they think I'm locking it against them. I AM locking it against them - right along with everyone else. I'll be damned if I'm going to leave my stuff unguarded so that it looks like I'm a trusting, tolerant and enlightened.

Pete: I wouldn't take it personally. You know that if she knew you, she'd've fallen back with her legs up in the air.
:yay: :killingme