Newbie requesting info on So. MD "attractions"

fat&happy

Hi. A friend is visiting from back home in June. He's never been to this part of the country. He doesn't want to do the usual tourist things - doesn't want to go to DC at all.

He writes, "I want to see whatever little roadside attractions there are, and eat the local greasy burgers and great fried chicken...."

Anywhere in So. MD will do -- have guest, will travel. Thanks for your suggestions. :howdy:

Edit: this could read like I'm just looking for locals to laugh at. That's not the case at all. I've lived here five years and I love it. I just don't get out much. I know about Twin Kiss, the big swap meet in the tobacco barns way down on Route 5, and that's about it.

Last edited:
K

Kain99

Love your name! St, Mary's City is a must! Point Lookout - De Artistes even though it doesn't scream St. Marys! :huggy:

fat&happy

Kain99 said:
Love your name! St, Mary's City is a must! Point Lookout - De Artistes even though it doesn't scream St. Marys! :huggy:

Believe it or not, St. Mary's City is one place I have been to! And it is on our agenda. Thanks for the suggestions, Kain. :howdy:

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
Take him to the farmers market in Charlotte Hall on Saturday. Don't forget Budd's Creek racetrack. And of course just about any nite of the week there are softball games to go to. Stop by Toots and have a 10oz. beer!

Shannie0308

:shrug: Maybe Bert's 50's Diner in Mechanicsville. That's definately casual and fun. GREAT ice cream! You could rent a boat in Solomons and go fishing. (which I havent done in along time, but i wouldn't think that has changed much.)

Hmmm ... Getting some great crabs at a local restraunt would be good. I'm not sure where you live, but there are tons all over the tri-county area. If I think of anything else I will be sure to post it.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
fat&happy said:
Hi. A friend is visiting from back home in June. He's never been to this part of the country. He doesn't want to do the usual tourist things - doesn't want to go to DC at all.
Drink some 10 oz., cruise the backroads, and spend the night at the Leonardtown Motel. :yay:

'SkinsFan

Some suggestions: Visit Sotterley Plantation and take a boat over to St. Clements Island (1st landing of English colonists in Maryland) and the museum in Colton's Point (the boats leave from the museum) down in the 7th District--all three in St. Mary's County. The Calvert Marine Museum in Solomons is incredible! It's worth the trip over the Johnson Bridge--now crossing that bridge--that is an event in itself. Also, the Dr. Mudd house in Waldorf might be a good place for some local history.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Try to find Tippity Wichity Island. And if you want to burn a whole day take the cruise to Smith Island.

bcp

In My Opinion
and after all else is done, and all of the really good ideas given here have been used.

you just cant beat that good ol southern style evening entertainment that only a 10 dollar crack ho can give you...

wait a sec,, that was supposed to go on the what to do in Annapolis thread..

sorry.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
The Amish area is always nice to drive through if he hasn't seen that. I was totally perplexed, amazed and in awe of them when I saw them. Take him down Friendship School Road. I still slow down and watch and I've been here 22 years. I went to one of their houses on that road one day to look at their crafts. It's amazing how simply they live. It's something you don't forget.

mudpuddle

Why not go for a nice long hike at Calvert Cliffs. I have fallen in love with that place since moving here...another good one is Flag Pond. The view is beautiful, and the hike isn't as long as Calvert Cliffs. But I also love Flag Pond...I found it amazing to go far out into the Bay at only knee-deep water and so clear...pack a picnic lunch to take with you....you'll enjoy :)

Hope you have a wonderful, stress-free visit :)

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Go to Point Lookout...stop at Buzzy's Store on the way to have a beer and listen to the local fish tales.

Beware the VERY large St. Bernard. Her name is Bruno #7 and she drools.