Riding Lawnmower Recommendations

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The old one has bit the dust and I need to buy a new one because I sure am not push-mowing it. :lol: Any specific brands to look for? Any specific store/dealer you can recommend?

TIA!

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
jazz lady said:
The old one has bit the dust and I need to buy a new one because I sure am not push-mowing it. :lol: Any specific brands to look for? Any specific store/dealer you can recommend?

TIA!
Sears :yay:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
If it's a lot of yard, consider one with cruise control and a cup holder for the spare. :yay: :cheers:

I had a troy-bilt and loved it; no problems/complaints. Ironically, I just sold it about 2 weeks ago b/c I don't have a need for a riding mower anymore.

John Deere from Gardiner Outdoor Products in Waldorf!

We just bought one from there last week and it's nice. :yay:

If you do happen to buy a John Deere, make sure it's from a JD dealer (not somewhere like Lowe's). If you need service on it, Lowe's cannot help you, the JD dealer can.

My Dad bought a Craftsman several years ago. He's had to work on it several times. :junk:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
crabcake said:
If it's a lot of yard, consider one with cruise control and a cup holder for the spare. :yay: :cheers:
It's not a lot of yard, but I have a trail to mow and it's all pretty bumpy. I think I need a seat belt more than a cup holder. :lol:

I had a troy-bilt and loved it; no problems/complaints. Ironically, I just sold it about 2 weeks ago b/c I don't have a need for a riding mower anymore.
Well, it would have been a long way to ride it back from NC as I don't have a truck to haul it. :lmao: I've had/still have Troy-Bilt tillers and love them, but didn't know how good the quality of their mowers. I've seen them sold at Lowe's so I'll have to check them out. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Speedy70 said:
John Deere from Gardiner Outdoor Products in Waldorf!

We just bought one from there last week and it's nice. :yay:

If you do happen to buy a John Deere, make sure it's from a JD dealer (not somewhere like Lowe's). If you need service on it, Lowe's cannot help you, the JD dealer can.

My Dad bought a Craftsman several years ago. He's had to work on it several times. :junk:

Waldorf is a bit far for me since I live in St. Mary's, but somebody told me to check out Carroll's Equipment in Dameron for a John Deere. I didn't think Lowe's would be able to service it but I know of a few good repair shops around that probably could.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Jazz - Price out an Ariens from Guy Brothers Marine. My last Ariens riding mower lasted 25 years. Right now I'm using one I was given (can't beat free) but when it dies, I'll get another Ariens.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
bresamil said:
Jazz - Price out an Ariens from Guy Brothers Marine. My last Ariens riding mower lasted 25 years. Right now I'm using one I was given (can't beat free) but when it dies, I'll get another Ariens.

I'd like free, too, but I don't think that will happen. :lol: Where is Guy Brothers Marine located?

Last edited:

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
You might want to checkout the Pennysaver. I think my roommate mentioned a couple days ago that someone was giving one away for free.

bcp

In My Opinion
Cub Cadet.

I figure they are ok since my brother in laws last one made it about 25 years before it crapped out on him.
Motor still ran but all the bushings wore out and you could not steer it.... so he bought another Cub Cadet.

My next one will be a cadet also.

or,, look at gravely, they have some really nice machines that will turn on a dime, great for around trees and gardens.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
jazz lady said:

TIA!
Johm Deere from Carroll's Equipment.. the Lowes Aren't "real" John Deere.. A little bit more money, but weill worth it, Carrolls has an awesome service dept.. will come and pick up and deliver for services.. They'll point you to the right size tractor that you need, and JD's last FOREVER!! We get ours serviced two times a year from them, and never have had a complaint. The bill is usually considerably less then we expected.

Lowes knock off JD tractors have to be putting a hurt on our local business, and it's a shame, people are thinking they are getting the same quality and the same service, and they aren't. Support your local businesses.

OH, and you can get the WAY cool, 4 wheel steering on their new tractors..

Last edited:

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
bresamil said:

I may be wrong but I don't think they sell Ariens anymore...On another note...If you say your yard is small, why not just get someone to cut it for you...You don't kave to worry about it and the price you are going to pay for a John Deere you could probably have it cut for 3 years or more...You wouldn't need to worry about gas, service, your time etc etc etc....

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
jazz lady said:
The store in Wildewood or do you go to one up the road?
The store in Wildwood. See Bruce and tell him I sent you. I've had my Sears for three years now and am very happy with it. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it mows great, isn't loud, and has a bagger for leaves. Replacement parts are available at Sears. I got the 18 hp automatic and love it! If you decise to go there send me a PM and I'll get in touch with my contact.

Last edited:
jazz lady said:
Waldorf is a bit far for me since I live in St. Mary's, but somebody told me to check out Carroll's Equipment in Dameron for a John Deere. I didn't think Lowe's would be able to service it but I know of a few good repair shops around that probably could.

I mentioned Gardiner's because I have a relative that works there. :lmao:

Seriously though, John Deere may be a bit more pricey. But in this case, you get what you pay for!

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
jazz lady said:

TIA!

I bought a Murray at Wal-Mart (yuck) about 12 years ago and it's still going strong. I like it because it's easier to get parts for than a Craftsman (Sears) or a John Deere. I hate to recommend Wal Mart but I do recommend a Murray.

If you have a bumpy/rough trail to cut, make sure you get a mower with a solid cast iron front axle. My Craftsman LT1000 has a stamped sheetmetal front axle (2 stampings that are then welded together), and it has split on one end. The "garden" tractors @ Sears are really nice. Much heavier duty than the LT series. I have no complaints about my mower (can't complain about the busted weld on my axle with the way I abused my tractor over the last 3 years cutting my hilly, bumpy azz yard). I would buy another.

Railroad said:
I bought a Murray at Wal-Mart (yuck) about 12 years ago and it's still going strong. I like it because it's easier to get parts for than a Craftsman (Sears) or a John Deere. I hate to recommend Wal Mart but I do recommend a Murray.
The Murray tractors and Craftsman tractors are both made by AYP (American Yard Products). Same for the Bolens and Yard Machine and I believe the John Deere (at Lowes, NOT at a JD dealer).