Tar & Chip Driveway

OrneryPest

lower life form
Karkuny said:
Can anyone recomend a company that installs a tar & chip driveway?
Yeah, tar and chips might be a pretty nice snack (sorry, wrong thread).
Do you think tar and chip would be better than asphalt? Real asphalt at perhaps a buck and a half or so per sq-ft would be much more solid than tar & chip. I think there are a coupla recent threads about asphalt contractors.

Karkuny

OrneryPest said:
Yeah, tar and chips might be a pretty nice snack (sorry, wrong thread).
Do you think tar and chip would be better than asphalt? Real asphalt at perhaps a buck and a half or so per sq-ft would be much more solid than tar & chip. I think there are a coupla recent threads about asphalt contractors.

Well, I really like the look of it brown like the pictures - and it's supposed to be durable, and you don't have to reseal it like asphalt. I did see the threads to the asphalt, which are helpful. But I do hope I can find someone to give me one of these...

http://www.askthebuilder.com/457_Tar_and_Chip_Driveway_Update.shtml

Fenrir51

Cons of Tar and Chip Driveways:
# Difficult to find contractors for installation.
# Unlike asphalt, can only be installed during hot, dry weather.
# Snow removal is a problem.

Lol, sorry cant help.

Pros of Tar and Chip Driveways
* Attractive.
* Cheaper than asphalt.
* No maintenance.
* Great for a slope, as the rough surface affords traction.

OrneryPest

lower life form
Karkuny said:
Well, I really like the look of it brown like the pictures - and it's supposed to be durable, and you don't have to reseal it like asphalt. I did see the threads to the asphalt, which are helpful. But I do hope I can find someone to give me one of these...

http://www.askthebuilder.com/457_Tar_and_Chip_Driveway_Update.shtml
That looks a lot like a driveway in Grand Island Nebraska that my father put in back in about 1951 or thereabouts. He roto-tilled the area, had the chipped stone gravel hauled in and spread out, and then re-roto-tilled it and then had it rolled down. He thought it was pretty cool and neat and groovy at the time, but it seems to me that the total cost was awful high for the final result.

MMDad

Lem Putt
St. Mary's county uses tar and chip to resurface the county roads, so the materials have to be available here. I'd bet the Trading Post could do it for you.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Tar and chip might be cheaper but when the heat kicks in and the tar starts bubbling you will get it on your shoes and in your house and it will also get slung by your tires along the side of your car. You might want to think twice before going this route.

T

tikipirate

I've never even heard of 'tar and chip'. Just mentioning 'tar' sounds sucky.

I would rather lay (and evenly compress) a bed of sand, place a layer of pea gravel, and top it with bluestone. Keep it all well-behaved with treated wood, bricks, or some of the stone treatments available at Lowes.

Of course, if you have a mile of driveway, that's when you make arrangements, leave a big pack of cash in your mailbox and... In the year 2230, your pre-stressed rebar concrete driveway will still be there.

willie

The only advantage of Tar & Chip is that it is cheaper initially. Weeds will grow through it, it can be messy in high heat and after a year or two, is ugly. If you have an erosion problem in that area, it is wasted money.

baswm said:
I would go with Asphalt millings.
:yeahthat: I had 2 loads of millings delivered last fall, and spread them myself w/ father-in-law's tractor. They are a HUGE improvement over the crappy gravel driveway I had before. I tamped them down w/ a vibrating plate tamper from the rental place in the Park. Once we get to the hot HOT part of summer, I am gonna have them drop off a roller and I will roll the driveway to get it REALLY compacted. I am quite pleased with how it has turned out so far, not bad at all for < $500.00 including tamper rental.