PLEASE! Not another useless hearing

Y

yornoc

MSNBC just reported that some senators on Capitol Hill are calling for hearings into what President Bush knew about “possible ” terrorist attacks prior to September 11...

This, in my opinion, is a gross waste of time and taxpayers’ money.

I did not vote for Bush but I still don’t think he, or any other sitting president, would have information of that magnitude and do nothing to protect the nation. Why the heck don’t the Capitol Hill idiots use the money for something constructive (like funding the diminishing school programs) rather than waste it on useless hearings? Worst of all, the hearing most likely will result in absolutely NOTHING being achieved (like the Clinton hearings).

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Well I agree. It does lead me to think we're back to "normal". It reminds me of those old skits where the two guys are being chased by a monster, and when they reach a door, they argue repeatedly about who should go *first*.

Thing is. I watched all the shows on the weekend about this. Again and again it was brought up that these kinds of threats and dangers have been known (although it seems to escape the notice of many that quite a lot of these reports were brought to the White House in '99 and 2000 - before Bush was even there).

Cheney mentioned as an example, that back in the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, most of their sources were sure he would NOT invade, that he was just testing the resolve of the West. But there were one or two who said differently. Afterwards, someone could say "why didn't you listen to that guy?" and the answer was, even though he got it right, the overwhelming majority thought differently. What's more - they get so many of these reports, the very idea that one of them actually happened is comparable to the story he gave - just how many of the leads do you chase down? A lot of them are just wrong, and they get a LOT of them.

I can't figure what the point is of all this. I mean, for one - how many of us are already hearing "attack likely this weekend" and think "yeah right". We don't believe it. I can't see why the need to blame someone.

I'm sure if the same levels of security were put in place BEFORE 9-11, and Americans were told "because of a credible threat of an attack by Al-Quaeda using hijacked airplanes as bombs", they would never have put up with it.