Above gound & in-ground pools

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
We're having Kayak come out tomorrow to give us some quotes and discuss our options. I've seen some negative consumer reports regarding the company, so I have started searching elsewhere.

Who here has an above-ground pool and can offer their recommendations? Anyone we should avoid? What should we look out for? How negotiable are their prices? What questions should we ask?

Any and ALL information is greatly appreciated!!

camily

Peace
Chasey_Lane said:
We're having Kayak come out tomorrow to give us some quotes and discuss our options. I've seen some negative consumer reports regarding the company, so I have started searching elsewhere.

Who here has an above-ground pool and can offer their recommendations? Anyone we should avoid? What should we look out for? How negotiable are their prices? What kind of questions should I ask?

Friends of ours got one last year and are really happy with the pool but it ended up costing about $10,000 by the time they were done. Nice pool, but the one they offer really cheap in the ad is"really cheap" so they talk you into the upgrade and offer a discount if you take pics of the set up and finished product and let them use the pics I believe. At least they say that but it is probably the regular price but they make you think your getting a deal. Anyhow, it is a nice pool though! We are wanting to get one of those one piece pools that they bring in and drop into a hole. They seem nice. My husband can do the hole himself since he used to run a backhoe. We'll just have to rent one.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
camily said:
Friends of ours got one last year and are really happy with the pool but it ended up costing about $10,000 by the time they were done. Nice pool, but the one they offer really cheap in the ad is"really cheap" so they talk you into the upgrade and offer a discount if you take pics of the set up and finished product and let them use the pics I believe. At least they say that but it is probably the regular price but they make you think your getting a deal. Anyhow, it is a nice pool though! We are wanting to get one of those one piece pools that they bring in and drop into a hole. They seem nice. My husband can do the hole himself since he used to run a backhoe. We'll just have to rent one.

San Juan pools? That's what we wanted...well, not the pool. We wanted the large spa, but with leveling the back yard, digging the hole and getting the pool ordered/shipped/hauled into the yard (probably over the house) it was going to cost well over 18k, which we didn't think was reasonable. Needless to say, we didn't get the spa. :ohwell:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
camily said:
They seem nice. My husband can do the hole himself since he used to run a backhoe. We'll just have to rent one.
My coworker wanted to get one of those last year, but the price was over $17K. At least that was the quote she received. I've been looking online and have seen some nice on-ground pools for $6K, but of course that does not include the decking, which we will do ourselves.

camily

Peace
elaine said:
San Juan pools? That's what we wanted...well, not the pool. We wanted the large spa, but with leveling the back yard, digging the hole and getting the pool ordered/shipped/hauled into the yard (probably over the house) it was going to cost well over 18k, which we didn't think was reasonable. Needless to say, we didn't get the spa. :ohwell:
You can rent a backhoe for about $300 or so a weekend and I know someone who will dig the hole cheap :whistle: Then you just have to have the spa delivered and hooked up.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
camily said:
You can rent a backhoe for about $300 or so a weekend and I know someone who will dig the hole cheap :whistle: Then you just have to have the spa delivered and hooked up.

I'll certainly keep that in mind. Do you know how I'd go about ordering directly from the company and who I'd hire to hook it up?

camily

Peace
elaine said:
I'll certainly keep that in mind. Do you know how I'd go about ordering directly from the company and who I'd hire to hook it up?
I'm assuming that my husband can hook it up as well. He is planning on doing ours. He's done that sort of thing before, plus, he's one of those guys that can do anything like that. He was talking about a company in North Carolina he saw on our way to the vacation house last year. I'll ask him what the name is and get back to you.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
camily said:
I'm assuming that my husband can hook it up as well. He is planning on doing ours. He's done that sort of thing before, plus, he's one of those guys that can do anything like that. He was talking about a company in North Carolina he saw on our way to the vacation house last year. I'll ask him what the name is and get back to you.

Thanks!

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
10 years ago we bought our 18 ft round above ground pool from Sears or Pennys, cant remember, anyway, for around 650.00 and installed it ourselves. Cant see 10 grand for an above ground pool. My pool is still standing and working great.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
baileydog said:
10 years ago we bought our 18 ft round above ground pool from Sears or Pennys, cant remember, anyway, for around 650.00 and installed it ourselves. Cant see 10 grand for an above ground pool. My pool is still standing and working great.
How deep is your pool?

slik

Chasey_Lane said:

Who here has an above-ground pool and can offer their recommendations? Anyone we should avoid? What should we look out for? How negotiable are their prices? What questions should we ask?

I had a Kayak pool installed. Unfortuntely, 2 weeks after we did an F5 tornado plotted our house into it. Believe it or not even as bashed up as it was the basic pool was intact and full of water. They are constructed reall well.
The guys that came down to install it were from Ohio and did a great job.

Only issue I had is, to go to an 8 foot depth would have cost a fortune.

I didn't beleive the "we'll discount the pool if you let us show it" ad, but at the same time I never did get a chance to let them show it.

It was impressive enough that the corporate people sent people down to take pictures of our pool after the tornado.

We ultimately decided to go with an in-ground pool when we rebuilt.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Chasey_Lane said:
How deep is your pool?

4 ft. Attached the deck to it and we were good to go. Many years of enjoyment. If I were to do it agin, Id do it the same only get a 24 round thats like 4.5 or 5 ft deep. Ive enjoyed having the pool. And its not that much to care for and the electric bill only goes up maybe 10 bucks.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
baileydog said:
4 ft. Attached the deck to it and we were good to go. Many years of enjoyment. If I were to do it agin, Id do it the same only get a 24 round thats like 4.5 or 5 ft deep. Ive enjoyed having the pool. And its not that much to care for and the electric bill only goes up maybe 10 bucks.
I was hoping for at least 5'. Just enough to be almost submerged and enough room to lounge on a raft. :cool:

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
Kayak builds a nice pool.. Its semi on ground as they usually go down a couple feet to get a nice level spot. Gonna be pricey prolly in the 10k range for one of their pools. Or you can order an above ground Oval or round pool from NC and put it together your self for around 4k.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
FastCarsSpeed said:
Kayak builds a nice pool.. Its semi on ground as they usually go down a couple feet to get a nice level spot. Gonna be pricey prolly in the 10k range for one of their pools. Or you can order an above ground Oval or round pool from NC and put it together your self for around 4k.
I've been looking online for above-ground kits, but I'm a dummy when it comes to pools. I don't know what material is better, which companies I should stay away from, and what length I want. :banghead: We definitely want a deck around the pool and I'm thinking it would be easy to do ourselves, right?