Baby Furniture

Went to Babies R Us this weekend to look around and I got to thinking about the babys room furniture. Is it worth it buy the whole set of a convertible crib with the dressers? Any specific brands or places you purchased from have any good/bad experiences?

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
workin hard said:
Went to Babies R Us this weekend to look around and I got to thinking about the babys room furniture. Is it worth it buy the whole set of a convertible crib with the dressers? Any specific brands or places you purchased from have any good/bad experiences?

It is my recommendation that you not worry about the covertible idea. As soon as my daughter turned 2 we tore down the crib and bought her a twin. We put the mattress and the box spring on the floor (so it was still low enough) and bought a safety side rail from Wally World. She loved it and seemed to sleep better with the extra room.

My friend bought the whole set from BRU and it's already falling apart. Her son's only 2. It looked to be a nice set, just very cheaply made.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Do you plan to have more children anytime soon?

If so you'll probably want to recycle the crib and then will need extra furniture for baby #2.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
It is amazing to realize how little you really need when it comes to having a baby. I bought an inexpensive crib that, despite the price, is pretty darn sturdy.

You didn't ask for the information, but I'll toss it out there anyway. This is strictly my opinion, and I"m sure that many other mothers have differing oinions. Keep in mind, too, that Bubba is very likely to be my one and only child, so I didn't feel a huge need to spend big bucks on an item- such as a crib - that I'd only be using once. If you plan on having more children, certainly, invest in better quality stuff that will last through the additional children and through the years.

I definitely get lots of use out of the mini-co sleeper (it afixes to the bed so that you can breastfeed or tend to the baby in the middle of the night without getting up out of bed.) Because having it adheared to the bed makes it difficult to just get out of bed without having to club around the c-sleeper, I never hooked it up to the bed. I do, however, have it in the bedroom, so Bubba is handy to tend to when he's hungry, needs a diaper change, or just wants to snuggle. He is almost at the weight limit and size where he will soon migrate to his crib.

Crib - I'd skip the four-in-ones (crib, toddler bed, daybed, and full-sized headboard). Seriously, by the time that you'd go through all the stages of possibilities with that piece of furniture, you'd be sick of seeing it. Also, unless you spend high-dollars, none of the other options other than the crub is very sturdy.

For future use, I did purchase a Captains bed. It is a twin bed that sits rather high off the floor, but it has a twin trundle bed underneath, and also a row containing three drawers. I figured that the drawers would have some useful storage space, and that the trundle bed would serve as Bubba's toddler bed when he grew into it. And when he ultimately grows in to his top bed (it is so high that it will require a small step stool), the trundle bed would make a great place for overnight friends to sleep.

Changing Table - I never had one, nor felt a need to have one. The min co-sleeper that I have serves also as my changing area. I also purchased four extender legs that raises the co-sleep up an ectra four inches, so it makes it easier on the back when I change Bubba.

I did get an un-finished armoire that I painted white to match the crib and other bedroom items. This armoire holds his toys, medicine, and the drawers below hold extra sheets and blankets. And the top is also a great place to store photos and stuffed animals that wouldn't be smart to put into the crib with a small baby.

I have a tall white bookcase that has tons of baby and toddler books for both baby and me, as well as holds some of his cute toys and some photos.

On another note, I am discovering that all the wonderful things that I registered for are not nearly as used as I thought they'd be. I never use the diaper genie. I rarely used the heated wipes holder, although I did use it when Bubba was teeny and the weather particularly cold. I bought an almost $300 dual electric breast pump that I should never have bought. I have a Boppy pillow that I've used maybe three times. I wish that I had thought a little more about how the baby would fit into my life, and not just about the cool doo-dads that are for sale that look cool and have all kinds of claims. Truthfully, I wish that I had registered for more diapers, wipes, and baby formula - the things that DEFINITELY get used.

Another thing that I'd recommend is that you keep the original packaging that most of your items comes in. I kept most of mine, with the original user's manual, so that I can pack up what it is good working order and still looks great and sell it either on e-Bay or at the consignment store in Lusby.

Another thing: plastic tubs are GREAT for separating the clothes that you get. I have six tubs in Bubba's closet that are marked for sizes 0-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12, 12-18, and above. For my showers I received 77 onsies, and took back many that I knew that I'd never need. You'd be surprised to find that you don't need nearly as many clothes as you think you do.

Last edited:

BabyGurl1978

Gone Crazy
BadGirl said:
It is amazing to realize how little you really need when it comes to haviang a baby. I bought an inexpensive crib that, despite the price, is pretty darn sturdy.

You didn't ask for the information, but I'll toss it out there anyway. This is strictly my opinion, and I"m sure that many other mothers have differing oinions. Keep in mind, too, that Bubba is very likely to be my one and only child, so I didn't feel a huge need to spend big bucks on an item- such as a brib - that I'd only be using once. If you plan on having more children, certainly, invest in better quality stuff that will last through the additional children and through the years.

I definitely get lots of use out of the mini-co sleeper (it afixes tot he bed so that you can breastfeed or tend to the baby in the middle of the night without getting up out of bed.) Because having it adheared to the bed makes it difficult to just get out of bed without having to club around the c-sleeper, I never hooked it up to th bed. I do, however, have it in the bedroom, so Bubba is handy to tend to when he's hungry, needs a diaper change, or just wants to snuggle. He is almost at the weight limit and sixe where he will soon migrate to his crib.

Crib - I'd skip the four-in-ones (crib, toddler bed, daybed, and full-sized headboard). Seriously, by the time that you'd go through all the stages of possibilities with that piece of furniture, you'd be sick of seeing it. Also, unless you spend high-dollars, none of the other options other than the crub is very sturdy.

For future use, I did purchase a Captains bed. It is a twin bed that sits rather high off the floor, but it has a twin trundle bed underneath, and also a row containing three drawers. I figured that the drawers would have some useful storage space, and that the trundle bed would serve as Bubba's toddler bed when he grew into it. And when he ultimately grows in to his top bed (it is so high that it will require a small step stool), the trundle bed would make a great place for overnight friends to sleep.

Changing Table - I never had one, nor felt a need to have one. The min co-sleeper that I have serves also as my changing area. I also purchased four extender legs that raises the co-sleep up an ectra four inches, so it makes it easier on the back when I change Bubba.

I did get an un-finished armoire that I painted white to match the crib and other bedroom items. This armoire holds his toys, medicine, and the drawers below hold extra sheets and blankets. And the top is also a great place to store photos and stuffed animals that wouldn't be smart to put into the crib with a small baby.

I have a tall white bookcase that has tons of baby and toddler books for both baby and me, as well as holds some of his cute toys and some photos.

On another note, I am discovering that all the wonderful things that I registered for are now nearly as used as I thought they'd be. I never use the diaper genie. I rarely used the heated wipes holder, although I did use it when Bubba was teeny and the weather particularly cold. I bought an almost $300 dual electric breast pump that I should never have bought. I have a Boppy pillow that I've used maybe three times. I wish that I had thought a little more about how the baby wold fit into my life, and not just about the cool doo-dads that are for sale that look cool and have all kinds of claims. Truthfully, I wish that I had registered for more diapers, wipes, and baby formula - the things that DEFINITELY get used.

Another thing that I'd recommend is that you keep the original packaging that most of your items comes in. I kept most of mine, with the original user's manual, so that I can pack up what it is good working order and still looks great and sell it either on e-Bay or at the consignment store in Lusby.

Another thing: plastic tubs are GREAT for separating the clothes that you get. I have six tubs in Bubba's closet that are marked for sizes 0-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12, 12-18, and above. For my showers I received 77 onsies, and took back many that I knew that I'd never need. You'd be surprised to find that you don't need nearly as many clothes as you think you do.

I pretty much agree with all that; in my case I bought all new stuff for 3rd baby and as I said above the crib, swing or bouncy seat or anything was barely used - it was a waste of a lot of money.

STL_RAMS

I don't know if they sell this particular brand or not but I have a crib from http://www.babysdream.com/ (if you go to the link you can see where to buy it locally).

It was given to me by my SIL. It's the "crib 4 life" crib and matching armour (spelling??). She bought it in 1996 when her daughter was born. They bought her daughter a new bedroom set last year but she had used that set until then. (the crib turned into a toddler bed, then full size bed). It is still in great shape and I just had to buy a new mattress for it and clean it up w/ a little pledge from being stored in the basement. I called the company that makes it and they sent me all new hardware (because some of the brackets were bent) w/o charging me anything.

I know others say its not worth it, but in this case its definatly worth it. It seems to be very sturdy and my cat certainly likes it so far. I am not due for a couple weeks but hopefully the baby will like it also.

You people have got me thinking now because what I was thinking about doing is just buying a new set (after making sure it was sturdy, well made, and lasting) for each one. So that way I only have to buy furniture once for them.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
workin hard said:
Go cheap, unless you plan on having 18 kids.. A crib doesn't need to last 18 years, or be handed down to your grandkids. you don't need to spend $600 on it..

We went to a babystore in Annapolis where they had strollers that cost over $800.. What's the point?? A $100 stroller from Wal-Mart has the same conveniences, is just as comfortable, and will last as long as the baby will need to use it.

Cribs for $1000?? Why, so you can sell it at a yardsale in 2 years for $75??

I can just see the mommies at a playdate.. snubbing some Mother because they have the CHEAP stroller.. talking up how much money they spent on their RECARO, or McClaren stroller..

itsbob said:
I can just see the mommies at a playdate.. snubbing some Mother because they have the CHEAP stroller.. talking up how much money they spent on their RECARO, or McClaren stroller..
Chasey told Day if she pops one out for him, she expects no less than a Coach diaper bag. :ohwell:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Like BG said. there are a LOT of things stores sell that they want you to feel like if You DON"T buy it, you're a bad parent.. There are a LOT of baby things out there you DON'T need..

Changing table?? Waste of money..

Diaper thingamajig.. WASTE of money...

ANYTHING in a baby specialty store.. WASTE of money..

marianne

workin hard said:
You people have got me thinking now because what I was thinking about doing is just buying a new set (after making sure it was sturdy, well made, and lasting) for each one. So that way I only have to buy furniture once for them.

You never know what's going to happen so I would not suggest getting an expensive "crib for life", especially if you think you'll have more than one child.

We bought convertible crib/toddler beds for our girls. While we figured we would have the girls in different rooms, each with their own furniture, it turned out they hated being separated. We ended up giving away the crib/toddler beds and purchasing bunk beds that we eventually bunked for more space in the room.

endsville

STL_RAMS said:
I don't know if they sell this particular brand or not but I have a crib from http://www.babysdream.com/ (if you go to the link you can see where to buy it locally).

It was given to me by my SIL. It's the "crib 4 life" crib and matching armour (spelling??). She bought it in 1996 when her daughter was born. They bought her daughter a new bedroom set last year but she had used that set until then. (the crib turned into a toddler bed, then full size bed). It is still in great shape and I just had to buy a new mattress for it and clean it up w/ a little pledge from being stored in the basement. I called the company that makes it and they sent me all new hardware (because some of the brackets were bent) w/o charging me anything.

I know others say its not worth it, but in this case its definatly worth it. It seems to be very sturdy and my cat certainly likes it so far. I am not due for a couple weeks but hopefully the baby will like it also.

at this point in time I'd say stay away from the "crib 4 life" series (or any other from baby dream" as I purchased a crib 4 life 6 years ago... at the time, I guess I didn't think ahead, but not, it seems to be pretty much impossible to find the conversion rails to make it into a twin bed for my now 6 year old son... I've called them and left messages (no reply in 2 weeks) tried all of the local baby furnature dealers (no luck) etc... as for a crib goes, it was great but the conversion process leaves a lot to be desired... besically I spent way more than I needed to just for a crib it seems... I just want to know, "crib 4 life" well, who's life? Not my sons.. they are still in business so not theirs... lol

greyhound

endsville said:
at this point in time I'd say stay away from the "crib 4 life" series (or any other from baby dream" as I purchased a crib 4 life 6 years ago... at the time, I guess I didn't think ahead, but not, it seems to be pretty much impossible to find the conversion rails to make it into a twin bed for my now 6 year old son... I've called them and left messages (no reply in 2 weeks) tried all of the local baby furnature dealers (no luck) etc... as for a crib goes, it was great but the conversion process leaves a lot to be desired... besically I spent way more than I needed to just for a crib it seems... I just want to know, "crib 4 life" well, who's life? Not my sons.. they are still in business so not theirs... lol

Here's some info on the rails. They suggest they be purchased at the same time you purchase the crib.

http://www.babysdream.com/Service/FAQs/faq4.htm

workin hard said:
I've got a crib w/ mattress I'll sell ya. Original cost was about $350.00. Still have the bedding set too. Very pretty. Original cost on that was $150.00. $200.00 gets it all.

GeezLouise

tired and content....
I bought the 4 in one convertible crib for Little Man. I really don't think that we will use it because we have talked about getting him a toddler bed pretty soon since he escaped from his crib last month. I do like my changing table though....thats just me, I just thought it was convenient. I bought his crib and changing table from Babies R Us. His crib is holding up really well, however the changing table that we got from there isn't. The drawers don't fit in right.

huntr1 said:
I've got a crib w/ mattress I'll sell ya. Original cost was about $350.00. Still have the bedding set too. Very pretty. Original cost on that was $150.00. $200.00 gets it all.

We've already purchased all the furniture and waiting for the bedding to come in.

Thanks though!

GeezLouise said:
I bought the 4 in one convertible crib for Little Man. I really don't think that we will use it because we have talked about getting him a toddler bed pretty soon since he escaped from his crib last month. I do like my changing table though....thats just me, I just thought it was convenient. I bought his crib and changing table from Babies R Us. His crib is holding up really well, however the changing table that we got from there isn't. The drawers don't fit in right.

We got everything from JC Penney's and I've had it for a good month or so. I'm waiting for my room to get painted so he can put the furniture up. :)