When someone tells you..

PJay

they'll pray for you..does that offend you? If so, why? If not, why?

To the people that say this.. what is your meaning in doing so?

sushisamba

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Homesick said:

Doesn't offend me. If they think it'll work, what do I have to lose? :shrug:

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
It doesn't offend me--but then, I have thick skin when it comes to things like that. I do find it a bit presumptuous, but so long as it's said with kindness in mind (as opposed to "You Godless heathen, I'm going to pray for your Hellbound soul..."), I generally just smile and say thanks as I would for any other meaningless nicety.

citysherry

I Need a Beer
Homesick said:

Personally, I don't mind it because I pray and I would pray for anyone that wanted/needed it.

What I don't think is professional is at work on the phone when people say at the end of a conversation "have a blessed day" or anything to that affect. Being Christian I'm fine with it, however my direct boss is Jewish and he finds it very offensive.

J

JPC, Sr.

The Wizard!

Homesick said:

:larry: I do not like that kind of praying at all, with a few exceptions only.

It is much equivolent to saying / praying , "God help them because we certainly are not going to do anything ourselves to help you."

And praying in the scriptures does not anywhere support the concept that the more prayers then the more effective the praying. Only one person with faith is all that is needed. Plus the selfish prayers that most people do (and they do it loudly) is just give them - give them - give them this - give them that, and so they pray , "God help that person because we sure are not going to."

I find that any real praying must be backed up by action. Like pray to feed the hungry then go out and start feeding hungry people so then the action is the prayer. If one wants to stop any wrong or wants a right to happen then Christ said to take up thy own cross and not to pray for God to carry the cross for us.

IMO. :howdy:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
JPC said:
:larry: I do not like that kind of praying at all, with a few exceptions only.

It is much equivolent to saying / praying , "God help them because we certainly are not going to do anything ourselves to help you."

And praying in the scriptures does not anywhere support the concept that the more prayers then the more effective the praying. Only one person with faith is all that is needed. Plus the selfish prayers that most people do (and they do it loudly) is just give them - give them - give them this - give them that, and so they pray , "God help that person because we sure are not going to."

I find that any real praying must be backed up by action. Like pray to feed the hungry then go out and start feeding hungry people so then the action is the prayer. If one wants to stop any wrong or wants a right to happen then Christ said to take up thy own cross and not to pray for God to carry the cross for us.

IMO. :howdy:
I'm praying for you to let Jesus take your wheel to the Baynet and leave us alone. And for the library to close. That's all.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't have many people say they'll pray for me because they think I'm a hellbound heathen. Typically it's because I'm having an issue and they mean it as trying to help. I think it's a nice gesture.

tirdun

staring into the abyss
It would depend on the intent.

Don't Mind:
ME: Yeah, me and the kids got that stomach flu that's going around.
THEM: Ow, sorry to hear it. I'll pray for you.

Do Mind:
ME: And that's why I believe that. I think you are wrong.
THEM: I don't believe you. You're hopeless, and I'll pray for you.

The second is a dismissal with a haughty claim of superiority via religious belief.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I pray for people I care about, and if I think it'll help them to know I plan to pray for them (as in praying for the folks with the stomach flu or other problems), I'll say so. For people who aren't Christians, I still pray for them if I care about them, but most of the time I don't mention it to anybody.

Some folks say they'll pray for people and don't mean it - for them it's a nice thing to say, and that's all. I can't think of a situation in which "I'll pray for you" really has a negative intent, except in the example Tirdun used.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
tirdun said:
Do Mind:
ME: And that's why I believe that. I think you are wrong.
THEM: I don't believe you. You're hopeless, and I'll pray for you.
And we've seen people do that right here on this forum! :jet:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
I'll take all the prayer anyone wants to give. I see prayer as a way of caring and giving love.

I pray for family, friends, acquaintances, believers, non-believers, and myself. When I pray for someone, most of the time, I do not pray for specifics but that God will do His will, provide comfort, wisdom, and guidance. When I pray for non-believers, I pray for God to make Himself real to them in an unmistakable way.

camily

Peace
I like it. With my daughter being sick I have come across alot of people that tell me they are going to pray for her. I think it's wonderful. Sometimes they want detail of her condition so they can be specific in their prayer. Those people I know mean it in their heart. I had a lady tell me once she was going to "take her to the alter" with her on Sunday. That meant alot to me just in the words she used.

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
I don't pray because I'm an athiest, but I don't mind if someone says they will pray for me. It won't affect me either way.