Atheists

PJay

I ask this out of serious curiosity: why talk so much about someone you don't believe exists?

fttrsbeerwench

Isn't it the ones who should STFU, most often the ones who have the most to say?:shrug:

For the record... I'm not an athiest. I'm a naturist and a minor feminist who maintains some old fashioned ideals while also having an open mind.
:blahblah:

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
Homesick said:
I ask this out of serious curiosity: why talk so much about someone you don't believe exists?

Isn't that the point of a "discussion board" - especially in a section called "Religion"?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I find religion fascinating. It's our history and part of our cultural heritage. I think the Bible should be required reading, regardless of your faith.

PJay

wxtornado said:
Isn't that the point of a "discussion board" - especially in a section called "Religion"?

Yes Sir. And is why I started this topic... for discussion.

Are you going to answer my question?

vraiblonde said:
I find religion fascinating. It's our history and part of our cultural heritage. I think the Bible should be required reading, regardless of your faith.
Exactly my view too. My brother and sister are athiest, yet never stop reading books, magazines and other material on the subject of religion. Religious beliefs and devotions have been the driving force of many events throughout history. Why wouldn't we be interested in furthering our knowledge base and discussing it with folks of varying point of views...:shrug:

tomchamp

vraiblonde said:

You have to be the most non-conservative/conservative I have ever met or read. :howdy:

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
The widespread belief (whether or not a particular individual subscribes to it) in a higher power is an ingrained part of our Western Culture; particularly with regard to the Christian God. Why do Christians talk about Zeus, Hercules, or Aphrodite? They don't believe they exist, do they? Still, such names and mythologies are studied for their cultural impact, and revered as part of our human history. Most educated Atheists (the rabid ones who have something to prove aside) are very appreciative of the holy beliefs held by religious people around the world.

tomchamp said:
You have to be the most non-conservative/conservative I have ever met or read. :howdy:
Tom, why would her being a "non-believer" make her non-conservative in your eyes...:confused: One can be a moral, conservative, law abiding person even if one does not follow the Bible.

tomchamp

kwillia said:
Tom, why would her being a "non-believer" make her non-conservative in your eyes...:confused: One can be a moral, conservative, law abiding person even if one does not follow the Bible.

You came to her defense based on how you feel...I was just picking On Vrai as she often expresses herself as a conservative, but with liberal beliefs. I don't think that the Bible should be reguired reading..

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
Homesick said:
Yes Sir. And is why I started this topic... for discussion.

Are you going to answer my question?

Absolutely! I find the topic fascinating, plus I like to listen to other folks POV on the subject.

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
Club'nBabySeals said:
The widespread belief (whether or not a particular individual subscribes to it) in a higher power is an ingrained part of our Western Culture; particularly with regard to the Christian God. Why do Christians talk about Zeus, Hercules, or Aphrodite? They don't believe they exist, do they? Still, such names and mythologies are studied for their cultural impact, and revered as part of our human history. Most educated Atheists (the rabid ones who have something to prove aside) are very appreciative of the holy beliefs held by religious people around the world.

Good post. Just as Zeus, Isis, Osiris, and many others were Gods to folks for thousands of years, so shall the present-day God. And folks thousands of years from now will be talking about this mythological god called Jesus, just as we talk about Zeus today.

PJay

Club'nBabySeals said:

Thank you. For I am really trying to understand.

supersurfer

I'm about out the door and may come back to this later. There are many reasons that I talk about "someone that I don't believe exists".

1. It's part of my past
2. It's a common belief throughout society, believing in a higher power.
3. Where would all the fun be if we agreed on everything?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Club'nBabySeals said:
That was an excellent post :yay:

supersurfer

Club'nBabySeals said:
Most educated Atheists (the rabid ones who have something to prove aside) are very appreciative of the holy beliefs held by religious people around the world.
I have to disagree with this. Most Atheists, educated or not, might be tolerant of believers but not appreciative.

You must be looking at the people over at positive atheism.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I'm not atheist, however, my understanding of an atheist is one who seeks knowledge and applies logic to their lives instead of believing in the unknown. So why wouldn't an atheist be will educated on the subject of religion(s) and be able to hold forth logically debate and discussion?

I'm not Christian, yet I have read the bible and other books pertaining to it's history.

I'm not Muslim, however, I have read the Quran and other books pertaining to Islam.

I'm not Buddhist, however I have read their doctrines and studied their teachings and learned meditation.

I'm not Hindu, however I have learned their dharmas, deities and history.

I'm not Jewish, however I am currently studying Quabbalah (and have been for a few years now, intensely fascinating).

I have discovered in my limited experience, that nobody refuses anybody the knowledge about their religion or faith. And that true believers of any faith, allow strangers to form their own opinions and ask their own questions to reach their own answers. There is never any pressure from them to hurry up and believe.

I have to say, I know some who come on here find fault with 2nd Amendment for whatever reason, yet I know for a fact that he has never refused to answer a question logically and as factually as he possibly could when I presented it to him.

Do you know the phrase "seek and ye shall find"? It's very true. Allow others the opportunity to seek and find and knock on the right doors.

supersurfer

Homesick said:
Cause we got a God-shaped hole in out heart that we are all desperately trying to fill. :sarcasm: :rolleyes:

PJay

supersurfer said:
I'm about out the door and may come back to this later. There are many reasons that I talk about "someone that I don't believe exists".

1. It's part of my past
2. It's a common belief throughout society, believing in a higher power.
3. Where would all the fun be if we agreed on everything?

Looking forward.

This is your chance to explain your belief. Just don't let us attack one another and think of one another as being crazy. Mature conversion and thoughts are most welcome.