Scientology

MMDad

Lem Putt
I've read at least ten of L. Ron's books, but I haven't read Dianetics. I just don't understand what they believe. Can anyone summarize what scientology is?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I can't answer your question, but I've been interested in reading Dianetics for awhile now, but I'm afraid that people will think I'm weird. :lmao:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Nickel said:
I can't answer your question, but I've been interested in reading Dianetics for awhile now, but I'm afraid that people will think I'm weird. :lmao:
too late.

J/K :lmao:

tirdun

staring into the abyss
Dianetics is the foundational book of Scientology. It suggests that the human mind is divided into a reactive (emotional) and processive side. The reactive side is animalistic, it responds rashly to events around it without logic and stores painful memories called engrams. Scientology says that if you removed those engrams and used your processive mind instead of your reactive side, something they call "clear", then you become something like a perfect human being.

Scientology claims it can then remove those engrams in a process called "auditing" which uses an electronic device called an e-meter. It looks like a pair of tin cans connected by wires to a box. It measures electronic resistence in sort of a lie detecter as an auditor does a session of questions or goes through a set of steps to unblock your engrams.

Problem 1 is that they've yet to produce a real "clear". The founder of Scientology (Hubbard) changed the rules and extended the steps. Lots of people get very expensive diplomas that say "clear" on them, but they can't do any of the telekinesis or perfect memory drills that they're supposed to be capable of.

There are a lot more problems, stuff you don't get to find out until you're deeply invested in the religion. Reincarnation, aliens, and more show up very late in the very expensive path to clear.

Oh, and dianetics reads like stereo instructions. Written in japanese and translated into german and translated into English.

Somdmommy

:Jeepin' in NC:
MMDad said:
I've read at least ten of L. Ron's books, but I haven't read Dianetics. I just don't understand what they believe. Can anyone summarize what scientology is?

:lalala: Scientology does teach that many of our problems are caused by the spirits of space aliens that are stuck to our bodies.

L. Ron Hubbard writes that, 75 million years ago, the head of the Galactic Federation, made up of 76 planets, was a being named Xenu. Faced with an overpopulation problem, he brought beings to this planet, blew them up with hydrogen bombs, and packaged them. Their spirits now infest our bodies: he says "One's body is a mass of individual thetans stuck to oneself or to the body." Scientologists at this level try to rid themselves of these thetans (spirits) by helping each one to remember the painful experiences of being blown up like that.

:boo:

Toxick

Splat
MMDad said:

This is the most comprehensive and objective page I've ever read about scientology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

Also I think I should point out that you don't have to be a Scientologist to subscribe to Dianetics. I know a few people who are Dianeticists, but do not buy the Xenu history.

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
"As a Level VII Operating Thetan for the Church of Scientology, Tom Cruise can heal disease, communicate with plants and animals, and control people's thoughts."
:killingme

maylinduplantis

gunslinger
i first about Scientology a few years back... before the Tom Cruise ruckus... before the South Park ruckus... and then I thought it was the biggest pile of crap EVER written and practice...

Scientology is a cult... is a scam... and has no scientific, educational, or even spiritual backing... Hubbard was a science fiction writer... but I won't stand on my soap box for long... read it for yourself...

Operation Clambake... the truth and inner secrets of Scientology

the website isn't hate or propaganda... it's the truth, written by people who were there, who fought (and lost) and is in respect and honour to all victims, and those who dare to stand up for them...

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
This is from Liveprayer's devotional posted by permission.

excerpt from DAILY DEVOTIONAL SATURDAY MAY 27 said:
Scientology has always appealed to people in Hollywood. People like Cruise, Travolta, Alley, Presley are visible Scientologists. Sadly, these people have bought into a lie from the pits of hell, and like all who follow this lie, they will spend eternity separated from God if they do not turn from the lie of Scientology and to the Truth of God's Word. Scientology appeals to the Hollywood crowd as well as successful people for 3 reasons. First, like all people they are looking to fill that spiritual void only the God of the Bible can fill. Second, Scientology has a financial structure in place that basically allows you to be as god-like as you want depending on the amount of money you have. For those who are successful and can afford it, they are able to buy their god-status. Third, like all cults and false religions there is no personal accountability, no right and wrong. You are basically free to live your life however you want, decide for yourself what is right and wrong, and live without any consequences. This is obviously appealing to people since nobody likes to be confronted with that nasty word...sin.

Midnightrider

2ndAmendment said:
This is from Liveprayer's devotional posted by permission.
gee, i wonder what the scientologists think, and have to say about christianity? Bet its just about as flattering.

Toxick

Splat
Midnightrider said:
gee, i wonder what the scientologists think, and have to say about christianity? Bet its just about as flattering.

Actually, Scientologists fancy their religion as a non-exclusive religion. That is, you can be a scientologist AND a christian (although, there are tenets of scientology that conflict with christianity - such as reincarnation) - or a Scientologist AND a Hindu, etc.

So they probably don't say anything about Christianity, or else they may alienate some of their own.

Midnightrider

Toxick said:
Actually, Scientologists fancy their religion as a non-exclusive religion. That is, you can be a scientologist AND a christian (although, there are tenets of scientology that conflict with christianity - such as reincarnation) - or a Scientologist AND a Hindu, etc.

So they probably don't say anything about Christianity, or else they may alienate some of their own.
well thats cool, i was just pointing out that a christian sermon doesn't really shed any light on scientology, just clouds the issue.

Pete

Repete
Midnightrider said:
well thats cool, i was just pointing out that a christian sermon doesn't really shed any light on scientology, just clouds the issue.
Yea, I was really wanting to hear more about Xenu and the Intergalactic Goobers and how many volcano's were used. I wonder if there is a Christian preacher out there who can comment on that?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Midnightrider said:
All I was doing was answering
MMDad said:
... Can anyone summarize what scientology is?
from what I believe to be a Christian point of view.

Pete

Repete
Come to think of it, I just may have to throw caution to the wind here and invent my own pseudo religion to go along with my own holiday.

"Peteyology" Have an elaborate financial structure so you can buy position. All I need is to talk 1 loon bag Hollywood type into believing it is real, WHAMO those lemmings will be lining up to buy "5th Degree Grand Poobah Bishop of Divine Clarity" titles. I could get some surplus meggers from the government cheap and tell them they are "Kismet cleansers" and that the more intense the shock the closer to their primal eye their true torment resides within their Zorg. Within 5 years I can be rich AND have the added bonus of making people pee their pants from electric shock during "treatments".

maylinduplantis

gunslinger
Pete said:
Come to think of it, I just may have to throw caution to the wind here and invent my own pseudo religion to go along with my own holiday.

"Peteyology" Have an elaborate financial structure so you can buy position. All I need is to talk 1 loon bag Hollywood type into believing it is real, WHAMO those lemmings will be lining up to buy "5th Degree Grand Poobah Bishop of Divine Clarity" titles. I could get some surplus meggers from the government cheap and tell them they are "Kismet cleansers" and that the more intense the shock the closer to their primal eye their true torment resides within their Zorg. Within 5 years I can be rich AND have the added bonus of making people pee their pants from electric shock during "treatments".

Where do I sign my name? :lmao:

Pete

Repete
maylinduplantis said:
Where do I sign my name? :lmao:
May,

I am going to have to ask you remove the Peteyology title of "1st degree Grand Poobah Bishop of Divine Clarity" from your siggy until I receive your payment of $2,000.00. If paying by check, please make it out to "Repository of International Peteyology - Organizational Funding and Finance" (RIP - OFF for short). After your check clears you will be shipped your Official Peteyology 1st Degree GPBDC robes and a printed certificate and as a new member you will have a star named after you. If you wish to use paypal please PM me for details.

TIA

His Supreme Excellency, Potentate and Emperor of all Land, Sea and Air "Pete"

tirdun

staring into the abyss
Pete, seriously man:

1- That is not crazy enough by half to compete with Scientology.
2- You can't just go giving away the goods at the front door. Set up some inner circles! With toll booths between them!
3- One word: Pagentry! I think crowns are in order. Large crowns.

maylinduplantis

gunslinger
Pete said:
May,

I am going to have to ask you remove the Peteyology title of "1st degree Grand Poobah Bishop of Divine Clarity" from your siggy until I receive your payment of $2,000.00. If paying by check, please make it out to "Repository of International Peteyology - Organizational Funding and Finance" (RIP - OFF for short). After your check clears you will be shipped your Official Peteyology 1st Degree GPBDC robes and a printed certificate and as a new member you will have a star named after you. If you wish to use paypal please PM me for details.

TIA

His Supreme Excellency, Potentate and Emperor of all Land, Sea and Air "Pete"

Have done Supreme Excellency... the check is in the mail... the fun part is, you can cash it then watch it bounce all the way to the bank :lmao: win win situation! i get robes to walk around in the neighborhood with and you get a new rubber toy! :yay: