Jail/Prisons & Insanity.

J

JPC, Sr.

:coffee: Reports say that there are over 2 million persons (male and female) are imprisoned in the USA, and some 32,000 in the State of Maryland system, and a daily average of 308 inmates in the St. Mary's County Detention Center (SMCDC), and our SMCDC is only designed to hold 245 inmates so our's is abusively over full.

The condition of prisoners is mostly kept unknown to the outside free citizens except when some event happens like a famous person gets incarcerated or an inmate death or a riot at a facility or an inmate hunger strike or other such big event, but for the rest of the time the happenings and conditions of jails and prisons are kept rather secret behind the walls.

Important to remember is that our founding fathers purposely wrote into the U.S. Constitution's Bill of Rights, that the law can not impose any cruel or unusual punishment.

Very many inmates of jails and prisons have big debilitating mental illnesses and those prisoners need treatment and some need medications and or therapy and the punishment of only confinement is not the right solution. Many mental illnesses come from childhood abuses called punishments.

The ideal is that citizens are sent to jail as punishment and not sent to jail and then be punished again in the jails.

Overcrowding is one of the biggest and most common abuse of prisoners (in the USA) and it is particularly abusive to those with mental illnesses and to those housed in the same cell with the mentally ill. The requirement is that each individual person needs at least 55 square feet of living space, thus based on that number the jail / prison cells are made to the size of 55 square feet. That is 5.5 feet X 10 feet, or 6 X 9, which is a standard size jail cell. But then to make the prisoners permanently uncomfortable the gov put into the small cell a set of bunk beds with one bed over top of the lower bed so then it houses 2 inmates in a one person room. Subsequently as a result of this double bunking there are many more fights and suicides and homocides and pervertions and diseases and more.

Right now in our SMCDC it is designed for 245 inmates (based on the double bunking) and it is averaging 308 daily and it swells higher with as many as 380 on some days - particularly weekends. See link below,

SMC Sheriff 2005 Annual report, scroll half way down page to Corrections Division, last sentence.

Exposing the wrong is the first step in any reform. :howdy:

oldman

Lobster Land
If we could get people to pay their child support and not spray paint government buildings perhaps they wouldn't be so overcrowded, ya think?

J

JPC, Sr.

The Wizard!

oldman said:
If we could get people to pay their child support and not spray paint government buildings perhaps they wouldn't be so overcrowded, ya think?
:larry: Not at all, parents in jail right now for child support are deadbroke. They are in jail and have nothing to pay. And they can not work on a job because of being in jail. And it costs tax dollars in the many thousands to keep people in jail that are poor and did not commit an act of violence.

As for the guy spray painting the gov buildings - he knew he was going to jail and nothing could have kept him out.
:whistle:

MMDad

Lem Putt
JPC said:
Right now in our SMCDC it is designed for 245 inmates (based on the double bunking) and it is averaging 308 daily ...
If you'd just go back where you belong, it'd average 309. Bubba's waiting for you. Stop resisting the temptation.

Meet me at Lowe's tomorrow. I'm buying. Any color you want. Can't you hear the courthouse?

"Paint me James, you can get back with Bubba. Please James, paint me. Don't worry, we'll give you more roid surgery after Bubba breaks you back in. Paint me James..."

fttrsbeerwench

So, is this rant about freeing all his abused brothers, or about improving conditions at the jail pending his inevitable return???

I'm still hearing :blahblah:

oldman

Lobster Land
JPC said:
:larry: Not at all, parents in jail right now for child support are deadbroke. They are in jail and have nothing to pay. And they can not work on a job because of being in jail. And it costs tax dollars in the many thousands to keep people in jail that are poor and did not commit an act of violence. :whistle:

So you're saying all those in jail for non-payment had been working but the court ordered them to give all their earnings to the child/children or perhaps they were all afflicted with a disability just as the judge ordered them to pay. You've certainly opened my eyes because I had always thought they were just deadbeats to begin with but now I understand. After all, nobody would just go around making babies knowing they couldn't or wouldn't support them. Yep that's it, they had good intentions but the legal system got them down.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
JPC said:
The condition of prisoners is mostly kept unknown to the outside free citizens...
You make it sound like it's some kind of secret society. Probably the reason the average citizen does not hear much from within the system is that there is rarely anything valuable to pay attention to. Most inmate complaints are along the lines of, "I want more peanut butter," or "My pillow isn't fluffy enough!"

JPC said:
Very many inmates of jails and prisons have big debilitating mental illnesses and those prisoners need treatment and some need medications and or therapy and the punishment of only confinement is not the right solution. Many mental illnesses come from childhood abuses called punishments.
Previously you have stated they judged you mentally stable. Is this an obscure admission/retraction?

JPC said:
Exposing the wrong is the first step in any reform.
Yes, you're wonderfully informative. But where is your proposal for reform?

Given that you want to deflate a large percentage of St. Mary's' tax base, I can't imagine that you want to build a new incarceration facility. Perhaps you believe that once you have successfully deflated the aforementioned tax base there won't be many people left to commit crimes.

Or maybe you simply wish to release the poor, abused mentally fragile folks to roam free with impunity. Then they can run for public office and join you in running St. Mary's into the ground! :rolleyes:

hvp05

JPC said:
As for the guy spray painting the gov buildings - he knew he was going to jail and nothing could have kept him out.
So you hold the position that, as long as you're going to jail anyway, why not get a few extra low blows in.

I sure hope JPC, Jr. realizes how lucky he is that daddy wasn't around for most of his childhood.

MMDad

Lem Putt
hvp05 said:
I sure hope JPC, Jr. realizes how lucky he is that daddy wasn't around for most of his childhood.

Can you imagine how it was for that kid? A four year old, suddenly asking "Where's daddy? Why doesn't he love me any more?" No matter what Mom could say, Daddy didn't come back until 11 years later. When Mom was on her death bed, and Dad saw his chance.

I have a four year old. I cannot imagine leaving him. How could anyone be so cowardly as to leave their child?

hvp05

MMDad said:
I have a four year old. I cannot imagine leaving him. How could anyone be so cowardly as to leave their child?
It's beyond me. My dad wasn't the greatest... but at least he tried. I can not imagine walking away, even if the child is unexpected, or even if the parents despise each other.

Pandora

hvp05 said:
It's beyond me. My dad wasn't the greatest... but at least he tried. I can not imagine walking away, even if the child is unexpected, or even if the parents despise each other.

I couldn't imagine walking away from my children either, but many women do it these days too. My nephew's real mom walked out of his life when he was 4. She ran off with another man, and he has hardly heard a word from her since.

He is 18 now.

She missed out and she will never get that time back. It is gone.

Last edited:

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Pandora said:
I couldn't imagine walking away from children either, but many women do it these days too. My nephew's real mom walked out of his life when he was 4. She ran off with another man, and he has hardly heard a word from her since.

He is 18 now.

I don't get it either. I could never walk away from my girls. I didn't know the capacity my heart had for love until I had my children. Leaving them would be like leaving little pieces of my heart.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Pandora said:
I couldn't imagine walking away from my children either, but many women do it these days too. My nephew's real mom walked out of his life when he was 4. She ran off with another man, and he has hardly heard a word from her since.

He is 18 now.

She missed out and she will never get that time back. It is gone.

My dad later in life sorely regretted his decision to remove himself from his kids' lives. All the things he missed out, as we kids did too, and learned you can never recapture what had been lost. A very hard life lesson indeed. :ohwell:

Flipside

Don't do it !
JPC said:
:larry: Not at all, parents in jail right now for child support are deadbroke. They are in jail and have nothing to pay. And they can not work on a job because of being in jail. And it costs tax dollars in the many thousands to keep people in jail that are poor and did not commit an act of violence.
WRONG! Deadbeat Dads are put into the work release program, then their pay checks are regulated by the Sheriffs department. Get your facts straight before opening your pie hole.

There is a major issue with the SMCDC. When the building was designed it was designed with the only ventilation being the AC, which means no opening windows.
The AC has never worked properly, as matter of fact the only parts of the building that has proper ventilation is the Correctional Officers pods and the offices.
The fact is, the air is unhealthy air and if it was any other private building that had that high of occupancies, the heath department would condemn it until proper ventilation was provided.
Furthermore SMCDC would not be over crowded if the county didn't take on a contract from the I.N.S. Immigration and Naturalization Services.
Thats right SMCDC house approximately 80 Immigrant criminals.
Another fact is the county can't ask for more money if it isn't keeping it's jail full, thus the petty DWI arrests, paraphernalia charges and my personal favorites seeds on the floor and dust in baggy .
Jails are big business, this is why some corporations of the private sectors are getting into the prison business. The Federal government gives the county something like $35 a day per inmate and $80 a day per INS inmate.(not sure on those figures) look em up yourself.
Bottom line is we all know how the State Government works, each county is alloted a certain amount each year for police, jails and juridical system.
Now if they don't spend it all, they will get less than the year before, but the idea is to make it look like they need more so they can keep expanding.
This is why you see all the petty arrestees you read in the St Mary's Today. Do you really think all these idiots are giving the Police permission to search their cars when they know damn well they got something in the car. NOT!
Anyway, this is why the county keeps the jails full.
There are two question we can ask?
1. Is it greed, because fact is, if this county is receiving what it doesn't need ,counties that are in need are suffering.
2. Did our county leaders have the insight to over built it's police force and juridical system to detour real criminals and the influx of them coming to our county.
So on one hand we have allot of our young adults doing jail time and getting undeserved permanent records for very petty offenses.
So which choice does one make? I wouldn't want to be in any of the leaders of our community's shoes, too many lies need to be told, too many fingers being pointed and too many scapegoats are needed.

Just remember..Counties that are under powered in the juridical department are all most always over run with criminals and their activities.

Last edited:

Flipside

Don't do it !
Flipside said:
WRONG! Deadbeat Dads are put into the work release program, then their pay checks are regulated by the Sheriffs department. Get your facts straight before opening your pie hole.

There is a major issue with the SMCDC. When the building was designed it was designed with the only ventilation being the AC, which means no opening windows.
The AC has never worked properly, as matter of fact the only parts of the building that has proper ventilation is the Correctional Officers pods and the offices.
The fact is, the air is unhealthy air and if it was any other private building that had that high of occupancies, the heath department would condemn it until proper ventilation was provided.
Furthermore SMCDC would not be over crowded if the county didn't take on a contract from the I.N.S. Immigration and Naturalization Services.
Thats right SMCDC house approximately 80 Immigrant criminals.
Another fact is the county can't ask for more money if it isn't keeping it's jail full, thus the petty DWI arrests, paraphernalia charges and my personal favorites seeds on the floor and dust in baggy .
Jails are big business, this is why some corporations of the private sectors are getting into the prison business. The Federal government gives the county something like $35 a day per inmate and $80 a day per INS inmate.(not sure on those figures) look em up yourself.
Bottom line is we all know how the State Government works, each county is alloted a certain amount each year for police, jails and juridical system.
Now if they don't spend it all, they will get less than the year before, but the idea is to make it look like they need more so they can keep expanding.
This is why you see all the petty arrestees you read in the St Mary's Today. Do you really think all these idiots are giving the Police permission to search their cars when they know damn well they got something in the car. NOT!
Anyway, this is why the county keeps the jails full.
There are two question we can ask?
1. Is it greed, because fact is, if this county is receiving what it doesn't need ,counties that are in need are suffering.
2. Did our county leaders have the insight to over built it's police force and juridical system to detour real criminals and the influx of them coming to our county.
So on one hand we have allot of our young adults doing jail time and getting undeserved permanent records for very petty offenses.
So which choice does one make? I wouldn't want to be in any of the leaders of our community's shoes, too many lies need to be told, too many fingers being pointed and too many scapegoats are needed.

Just remember..Counties that are under powered in the juridical department are all most always over run with criminals and their activities.
Freedom is not and never will be free, the question is whats the cost?