Goat needs help

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
I need a farrier that will clip a goats hooves. BAD!!
She is down on her knees :bawl: and I just can't master this for some reason.
Happy I know you tried to learn me but some things I just ain't good at and that's one of them.:ohwell:
Could ya'll drop some farriers names and numbers?

PrepH4U

river rat said:
I need a farrier that will clip a goats hooves. BAD!!
She is down on her knees :bawl: and I just can't master this for some reason.
Happy I know you tried to learn me but some things I just ain't good at and that's one of them.:ohwell:
Could ya'll drop some farriers names and numbers?
Your goat is on it's knees? :shrug: How long has it been since they were trimmed?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
PrepH4U said:
Your goat is on it's knees? :shrug: How long has it been since they were trimmed?

I know how to do it, did it with the sheep. Do you have trimmers? She could have hoof rot, especially with all of this water. She really needs medical attention if she's not standing.

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
cattitude said:
I know how to do it, did it with the sheep. Do you have trimmers? She could have hoof rot, especially with all of this water. She really needs medical attention if she's not standing.

I am quite sure she needs medical attention too, she is using her knees to walk, she was out walking some before this rain, she is resaponsive and eating but her hooves are a mess. You wanna help?? I do have clippers too
I have the kind that looks like pruners and the scissor style.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
river rat said:
I am quite sure she needs medical attention too, she is using her knees to walk, she was out walking some before this rain, she is resaponsive and eating but her hooves are a mess. You wanna help?? I do have clippers too
I have the kind that looks like pruners and the scissor style.

I can't do it tomorrow, have to take Biscuit to the vet for his recheck for his groundhog bite. She really, really needs help asap. You really don't need a farrier, just somebody that can trim the hooves. Will they be still? We used to just sit the sheep on their butts, sort of on their back and it immobilizes them or a stand of some sort..not too high and something that will hold their head.

Get her on dry ground as soon as you can. Keep her out of the the wet area.

Let me see what I can do. Here is a link that is very informative. Look at all the pictures and it will show you exactly what to do to trim them and also what to do if she has rot. The rot can spread to the other goats' hooves.

http://www.goatworld.com/articles/feet/footcare.shtml

If I get out of the vet in time tomorrow, I can try to get over there. Dems..will you be around tomorrow so I can get in touch with you?

PrepH4U

PrepH4U said:
:whistle: How long has it been since they were trimmed? I think you should be calling a vet for a house call.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
nomoney said:
People like this shouldn't even own animals :duh:

I had sheep at one time. I loved them to death but I learned that they really need a lot of space and their feet really need to be taken care of on a regular basis. They need room to roam and dry land. If they don't have that, it's really not fair to them. As much as I hated to part with mine, I found them a nice home on a farm.

The sheep were my son's 4-H project and I just fell in love with them. That's where I learned to how shear them and take care of their hooves, etc.

nomoney

cattitude said:
I had sheep at one time. I loved them to death but I learned that they really need a lot of space and their feet really need to be taken care of on a regular basis. They need room to roam and dry land. If they don't have that, it's really not fair to them. As much as I hated to part with mine, I found them a nice home on a farm.

and that is exaclty why people like you should own animals. They know how to care for them, and they know that when it comes to a point that they're no longer able to care for them-they do the right thing.