Tomatoes won't ripen

SamSpade

If my damned tomatoes would ever turn red, I'd have a bumper crop - but they're staying green! It's driving me crazy. I had the same problem last year with all but the cherry tomatoes. What's wrong? Can't be the amount of water.

Last edited:

Vince

:shrug: Mine are getting ripe. Just picked my first one a couple days ago and have 3 more almost ready. Usually mine are coming ripe all at once and I've got tomatoes coming out of my ears. Got peppers going crazy this year.

SamSpade

cattitude said:
Not enough sun?

Normally - that'd be my guess. But this year I purposely planted the tomatoes in the sunniest part of my garden, which admittedly, still only gets full sun in the early afternoon until evening.

However, last year, my cherry tomatoes ripened just fine, and they didn't get anywhere near as much.

Still, that might be it - should I just pick a lot and let 'em ripen in the sun, off the vine?

Mikeinsmd

Mikeinsmd said:
The red color of tomatoes won't form when temperatures are above 86oF.

So, if you live where the summers get quite hot, leaving tomatoes on the vine may give them a yellowish orange look. It's probably better to pick them in the pink stage and let them ripen indoors in cooler temperatures.

http://www.garden.org/foodguide/browse/veggie/tomatoes_harvesting/374
Tomatoes need warmth, not light, to ripen, so there's no need to put them on a sunny windowsill. Place them out of direct sunlight -- even in a dark cupboard -- where the temperature is 65 to 70F.

greyhound

Tomatoes are getting to much water this summer.

I say pick the green ones, lightly flour and fry. They are the best!!!!!

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
SamSpade said:
If my damned tomatoes would ever turn red, I'd have a bumber crop - but they're staying green! It's driving me crazy. I had the same problem last year with all but the cherry tomatoes. What's wrong? Can't be the amount of water.

SUN!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SamSpade said:
If my damned tomatoes would ever turn red, I'd have a bumber crop - but they're staying green! It's driving me crazy. I had the same problem last year with all but the cherry tomatoes. What's wrong? Can't be the amount of water.
Pull them off the vine put them into a brown paper grocery bag (no plastic does NOT work).. fold it closed, and put them under the sink in the kitchen.. wala ripe tomatoes..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
greyhound said:
Tomatoes are getting to much water this summer.

I say pick the green ones, lightly flour and fry. They are the best!!!!!
Isn't it hard to fry a round object. or are we missing a slicing step in there somewhere..

SamSpade

Vince said:
You didn't plant "Late Keepers" did ya? :confused:

Nope - Big Boys, Better Boys, Beefsteaks, Romas, Lemon Boys, some cherry tomatoes and Yellow Pear - which *are* ripening, albeit slowly. Little tomatoes are turning out ok, and the garden is yielding peppers, zucchini, and especially jalapenos with ease.

If I'd only planted just jalapenos, I could LIVE on the amount coming out. I get a small bagful every single day, and I only have about eight or nine plants.

Vince

SamSpade said:
Nope - Big Boys, Better Boys, Beefsteaks, Romas, Lemon Boys, some cherry tomatoes and Yellow Pear - which *are* ripening, albeit slowly. Little tomatoes are turning out ok, and the garden is yielding peppers, zucchini, and especially jalapenos with ease.

If I'd only planted just jalapenos, I could LIVE on the amount coming out. I get a small bagful every single day, and I only have about eight or nine plants.
Yeah, I've got peppers of all shapes and sizes coming out of the garden. Did some Mexibells this year. :yikes: :yikes: HOT! HOT! HOT!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
nomoney said:
my father in law's are rotting on the vine before they even turn red.....I have no clues either.

If they're rotting on the bottom, it's blossom end rot and is caused by a calcium deficiency in the soil usually caused by excessive rain. You can pick up a spray from any store or nursery specifically for this problem. They contain calcium chloride which is applied to the plants and quickly fixes the problem on any fruits currently without the problem. It will not fix those that already show signs of blossom end rot. :ohwell: