Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Off of vrai's-HELP my 3 year isn't listening!

Thank-you all of you for your help! He's going to school in Aug. so maybe things will change! I hope! Thanks again!
    If ya don't like it, too bad!

Blog Entries
    I think Sharon's right - you need a break. The only thing that kept me from Yatesing my son when he was little was my downstairs neighbor. She'd take him for about an hour every other day or so to play and I'd use that time to goof off - no housework or cooking. Bless that woman's heart!
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Vrai did you come up with "Yatesing" or did you hear it somewhere?? If I had a nickel for every time I wanted to "Yates" my daughter, I'd be rich, baby!! :D

Missi maybe he's ADHD or obsessive/compulsive...or maybe he's just incredibly active! Pull up this site (http://www.psychologynet.org/dsm.html) on the web and you will find more info on Attention Deficit, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, and Autism. If it sounds like he's got some clinically significant behaviors happening, it's worth having it diagnosed and treated early! (My daughter has been on meds since grade 2...and they can make a HUGE difference!)

Also enlist as much help as possible until he's in school you need frequent breaks just to "re-energize!" Do you have a friend or neighbor who you can share little child care breaks with? Is there a teenager you can call to come over and play with him for an hour or two while you relax? How about a mom or relative?

My daughter was the same at that age, and it is mentally and physically EXHAUSTING! She gave up naps at 23 months! It was AWFUL because if she took a nap, she wouldn't go to bed until 10...if she didn't take a nap, she'd go to bed at 8:30, but was a total grouchy BEAR the last few hours of her day...

Some of the things my daughter LOVED at age 3: play-doh, "making stuff" (keep a box of scraps of colored paper, yarn, fabric, cardboard boxes, yogurt containers, etc. handy!), legos, big cardboard boxes you can fit in, costumes, puppets, and playing with water (let him sit outside in old clothes and play with water in pots, measuring cups, and with old paint brushes he can "paint" the deck or outside walls with water!), sidewalk chalk is GREAT! so are bathtub body paints and crayons!

Good luck! May the "force" be with you!

Wheres the dad in all of this?

So does the dad yell at the kid too? Are there family problems at home. My g/f's 3 year old GIRL mind you is a nut too lol, but she don't ant to listen to her, BUT I GUARENTEE they will listen to me.

My guess is your going about it wrong maybe. Try a different apporach. Someone told me u can't sit a kid down for more then 5 minsutes. Bull####. The kid writes all over the walls for instance the 2nd time, I will beat their ASS. yell and ensure they are in bed for a while. I'll tell ya what I noticed. Her kids listen to me much better.

Call it out of fear or what...but they are listening.

But...kids behaviors also reflect the parents. the g/fs' father is an ass, and they reflect on that situation. So take it as you can.

Jaime
    ~Rot in you know where~

Sierra,
    Thank you for the web site. I will check it out! The things you listed, are what he loves to play with! He does like play dough, and going out side. I try to take him out as much as I can, but it has to be when my youngest is sleeping. If I take both of them out at the same time, they go in different directions! My youngest takes off down the street, and I have to chase him, that leaves the oldest by him self. And because of past reason's, I can't leave him by him self. It's hard with two! I thought it would be easy! HAHA!! Any way! Thanks!

sgtsprout,
    Daddy is a farmer, and is out all day untill sunset. He hates to yell at him as soon as he walks through the door, but he will sometimes. Useally he can't because my youngest is all over him. But in his defence, he is a very good, loving father! Thanks!
    If ya don't like it, too bad!

Missi -
    Have you met my 3 year old? Cuz you have described him to a T!
    I know what you are going through and I agree with the others that you need a break! A few months ago I thought I was going to go nuts in a totally serious way - when I got assigned to represent my department at work at a conference on the other side of the country. I was gone for 6 days and by the time I came back a lot had changed.
    Not only did I miss my kids and husband terribly but they missed me. My two boys both agreed to help out more and the husband too! Suddenly they all realized just how much they needed me!
    "Don't recite other people's opinions. I hate quotations."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 things,

1. Let Dad take him for awhile to work on the farm, kids like that sort of thing.

and

2. Don't call him BABY, he is not a baby, he is 3. Let him know that he is to behave as a 3 year old.

My daughter likes all that stuff too, and bubbles, she could play with them for hours! She also likes to ride her tricycle and help Daddy water the garden and she has her own rake so when he is outside working the garden, she can "help". She also sits down and helps wrech on his Harley's...grease and all.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.