Calvert curbside trash pickup

bdh802

Bob
I just moved to Calvert County in December. I love it here but one thing that was a shock was the fact that Calvert County doesn't have trash pick up. I've lived in several counties in MD and VA and have spent time in many areas of the country, some very rural. This is the first place I've seen w/o trash pick up. For those who live by themselves and drive by a compactor site on the way to work, I'm sure this is a good thing. It's cheaper. For those of us who have larger families, a busy lifestyle, no pick up truck, have to drive 10 miles out of the way to get to a compactor site AND have racoons and other critters digging through the trash, it's nasty. The smell and maggots are no fun either. I will be hiring one of the trash companies to pick this up (if they call me back), but I was wondering what the old timers of Calvert County really think about this issue. I was also surprised to see a $103 fee in my Calvert County tax bill for Solid waste. In Anne Arundel County, I think I was paying about $300 a year give or take and it was well worth it for the TWICE a week trash pick up. We had three trucks drive by. One for trash, one for recycle and one for yard waste. I could put mounds of trash out to the curb, and they'd always take it.
It doesn't make sense to me the way trash is handled in Calvert County but that is just my opinion. How do you feel? Have there been attempts to get trash pick up in the past? Am I beating a dead horse?

greyhound

We all own trucks and take our trash to the dump or to a compactor site. You can hire a trash service to pick it up for you.

Last edited:

bdh802

Bob
I certainly didn't move here to change things. If Calvert County residents like things the way they are, then I'll adapt. As I said, I like it here. Calvert County does offer a lot. Better schools, more parks, etc. Heck, we even get a discount at the water park. Kids love that! I wouldn't move back to AACo or PG county or anywhere else at this point. I am just offering my 2 cents. I've lived with and without trash pickup and can really see the BIG advantage of having pick up. Paying $103, buying a pick up truck, old or new, putting gas in the truck, sitting in line, loading the nasty garbage, spending time to do all this doeesn't compare to wheeling the cans to the curb twice a week. If this is the only thing that I don't like here, then I'll certainly survive. It's not that big of a deal but I can certainly suggest that it's a whole lot nicer having trash pick up. It's like when you bought your first microwave or got that keyless entry thing for your new car. You don't realize how nice it is until you have it.

greyhound

bdh802 said:
I certainly didn't move here to change things. If Calvert County residents like things the way they are, then I'll adapt. As I said, I like it here. Calvert County does offer a lot. Better schools, more parks, etc. Heck, we even get a discount at the water park. Kids love that! I wouldn't move back to AACo or PG county or anywhere else at this point. I am just offering my 2 cents. I've lived with and without trash pickup and can really see the BIG advantage of having pick up. Paying $103, buying a pick up truck, old or new, putting gas in the truck, sitting in line, loading the nasty garbage, spending time to do all this doeesn't compare to wheeling the cans to the curb twice a week. If this is the only thing that I don't like here, then I'll certainly survive. It's not that big of a deal but I can certainly suggest that it's a whole lot nicer having trash pick up. It's like when you bought your first microwave or got that keyless entry thing for your new car. You don't realize how nice it is until you have it.

You can have a trash service pick up your trash. Here are a few:

http://www.calvertchamber.org/c/52/201

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
bdh802 said:

Of course, Becky Tice could probably offer some advice also. :razz:

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
SEABREEZE 1957 said:
I think WM is a big rip-off in St. Mary's County. Just my 2 cents worth. :rolleyes:

I've heard a horror story from someone who moved within St Mary's County and the charges they would incur if they didn't take the trash cans with them or needed to order new ones. The monthly fee on the green cans alone is too much for me. Plus, they won't take your trash if it isn't in one of those cans even if your can is WAY better than the one they rent you.

To the thread starter, maybe you will get in good with one of your neighbors who might not mind taking your trash up for you for a really small fee. :yay:

bdh802

Bob
Does this mean I need to get up at 4:45 to put the can out or can I put it out the night before? I have a septic system, too. I've given it some thought and I think I can save some money if I dip the sludge into a bunch of big gulp cups and drive it 10 miles to a compactor site about a 100 times in my mini-van. That sure beats having to pay someone to empty it and be here at at 5:00 am or whenever when it's convenient to them.
I respect your opinion and if you like it the way it is, than that's cool. Stop by, I'll drink a beer with you! I still don't quite understand how it's easier to drive my trash 10 miles out of way, wait in line, puke, and drive back to the house when it could be a matter of getting off the couch, slipping on the flip flops and dragging the trash cans 15 feet to the street. If you do the math, it's actually a lot cheaper. No gas, no time, NO GAS, no black trash bags, NO GAS, no wasted Saturday mornings, NO GAS. Have a great weekend!

R

residentofcre

SEABREEZE 1957 said:

I tie up the bag, give it to my husband and clean up the trashcans while he takes it to the Appeal Landfill.... he goes in the morning on the way to work or on Saturday.

I'd really have to research it.... the HOA I work at in St. Mary's uses Waste Management... they have a clause about fuel costs and it's a killer... everytime the fuel prices go up ... so do the costs so you pay for GAS anyway.... I'd have to research it... if I made it to the Board...

Meanwhile... I just count on my hubby and the back of his truck cause trash in my car is not an option I would want to deal with. :lmao:

bdh802

Bob
Hey Buddy, thanks for the offer. I'll think about it and get back to you with an answer in a couple of years. If you find any takers at that rate, let me know. We'll go in to business together. Have a great week.

garyt27

INAFJ
Cans and Trash

SEABREEZE 1957 said:
I don't know if Becky will offer advice or not, but we don't have to worry about trash cans and the stuff that comes out of them when the people overfill them or do not use lids, then the animals eat the poisons, then the crap blows all over the neighborhood, etc: etc: etc: By the way, Your avatar describes YOU well I'll bet.

bdh802

Bob
garyt27 said:
I don't know if Becky will offer advice or not, but we don't have to worry about trash cans and the stuff that comes out of them when the people overfill them or do not use lids, then the animals eat the poisons, then the crap blows all over the neighborhood, etc: etc: etc: By the way, Your avatar describes YOU well I'll bet.

Now that you've brought this back up, I do have one more question for my new Calvert County neighbors.

Is there anyone who has moved here from an area that had trash pick up and find this system in Calvert (Compactor sites) better?

I know I'm going to hear the "quit wining" and i"diot" comments but what the heck. That seems to be what makes this forum so interesting. I'm almost looking forward to them. Not really, just answer my question if you please.

R

residentofcre

bdh802 said:
Now that you've brought this back up, I do have one more question for my new Calvert County neighbors.

Is there anyone who has moved here from an area that had trash pick up and find this system in Calvert (Compactor sites) better?

I know I'm going to hear the "quit wining" and i"diot" comments but what the heck. That seems to be what makes this forum so interesting. I'm almost looking forward to them. Not really, just answer my question if you please.

Gets really ripe in the summer!

I have to admit [sadly] I don't take out the trash or mow the lawn. I'm such a klutz that I would make big mess taking out the trash or cut my foot off mowing. I'm glad my husband takes care of that for me.

The key is regular small trips tho. If you wait too long to take it to the compactor then you have a really stinking job.

OrneryPest

lower life form
I haul my own trash to the transfer station, which is about four and a half miles from my place. A bit inconvenient, but tolerable. I can definitely see how this would be unacceptable if you live ten miles or more from the nearest trash depository, or don't have a suitable vehicle.

There are commercial trash haulers, which I've never bothered to check out. I think they cost a whole bunch.

bdh802

Bob
bdh802 said:

Oh, no. I hope the Grammar Police aren't on duty tonight. I made a few mistakes. lol. :jameo: The maggots crawling up my arms after cleaning up the trash again must have distracted me. Just kidding. I did that yesterday.