Garden ponds

I've decided I want a small garden pond in our yard. I just purchased a pond kit from Lowe's. Hopefully, hubby and I should be able to set it up this weekend.

What I'd like to know, if I put goldfish in it, what do I do with them in the winter? I've heard some people say they will kind of hibernate to the bottom, but the guy at Lowe's said I have to remove the fish during the winter.

What do you do with yours? Also, any special advice for a first time pond-person?

greyhound

Speedy70 said:
I've decided I want a small garden pond in our yard. I just purchased a pond kit from Lowe's. Hopefully, hubby and I should be able to set it up this weekend.

What I'd like to know, if I put goldfish in it, what do I do with them in the winter? I've heard some people say they will kind of hibernate to the bottom, but the guy at Lowe's said I have to remove the fish during the winter.

What do you do with yours? Also, any special advice for a first time pond-person?

Do you contract out? I would like a pond in my yard too.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Yep, fish do fine in the winter. Hope you don't have a hungry racoon. My brother has a hard time keeping fishies in his pond. :lol:

greyhound

cattitude said:
Yep, fish do fine in the winter. Hope you don't have a hungry racoon. My brother has a hard time keeping fishies in his pond. :lol:

I worked with a girl who came home to find a Heron in her yard pond. She had to put netting over it to keep him out.

oldman

Lobster Land
Speedy70 said:

I'm not an expert by any means but I would think it depends on the size of your pond. My landlord has a very small one and takes his fish in during the winter and I've known others that have larger ones that leave them out year round. Goldfish are very nice but I'd also consider Koi. You'll need a good bubble machine to keep air in the water which will also help keep the water from freezing. As with any pet you just gotta read up on it and decide what fits your desires best.

BlackSheep

Pond thoughts-

A couple of friends and I put in a 10 x 26 hand dug pond about 5 yr. ago. Just lined it with a flexible rubber pond liner (polyvinyl chloride-PVC), edged it with stones and filled er up. Ponds are a beauty and a joy-BUT, they are work and you have to get the water just right for plants and critters to survive in it. I put in some fantails, shebunkins, and 6 Koi. Eventually I ended up w/frogs. Had a snapper, egrets, geese and ducks stop by as well-what a MESS! I put a fine black net over the entire pond to keep out leaves, debris and "visitors" out. I also put in lots of lilies, cattails, arrowhead and some but not many, water hyacinth.

Remember: a natural pond is not a swimming pool and too much cleaning can do more harm than good! For safety issues-locate the backyard pond where it is unlikely to attract unattended children.

If you plan to use a pump to recirculate water, use a filter, or light the area, be sure electrical service is available. Equip outdoor outlets with a ground-fault circuit interrupter. There will be less maintenance if your pond is not under trees. Most aquatic plants will grow better in full sun.

Ponds truly are relaxing and mesmerizing-enjoy and good luck.

greyhound

BlackSheep said:
A couple of friends and I put in a 10 x 26 hand dug pond about 5 yr. ago. Just lined it with a flexible rubber pond liner (polyvinyl chloride-PVC), edged it with stones and filled er up. Ponds are a beauty and a joy-BUT, they are work and you have to get the water just right for plants and critters to survive in it. I put in some fantails, shebunkins, and 6 Koi. Eventually I ended up w/frogs. Had a snapper, egrets, geese and ducks stop by as well-what a MESS! I put a fine black net over the entire pond to keep out leaves, debris and "visitors" out. I also put in lots of lilies, cattails, arrowhead and some but not many, water hyacinth.

Remember: a natural pond is not a swimming pool and too much cleaning can do more harm than good! For safety issues-locate the backyard pond where it is unlikely to attract unattended children.

If you plan to use a pump to recirculate water, use a filter, or light the area, be sure electrical service is available. Equip outdoor outlets with a ground-fault circuit interrupter. There will be less maintenance if your pond is not under trees. Most aquatic plants will grow better in full sun.

Ponds truly are relaxing and mesmerizing-enjoy and good luck.

Black Sheep...kinda sounds as though...hummmm....you install ponds?

W

WildHorses

greyhound said:
I worked with a girl who came home to find a Heron in her yard pond. She had to put netting over it to keep him out.

We put a Heron fountain in our pond and it seems to keep everything away. :howdy: The koi are as happy as clams. :lmao:

BlackSheep

greyhound said:
Black Sheep...kinda sounds as though...hummmm....you install ponds?
Ahhhhh no...sorry.
Like once we started digging, had to keep going to get around roots, rocks and stuff, next thing ya know it's 10 X 26. It's the best, very relaxing and soothes the soul. :yawn:

camily

Peace
My husband built this pond for a friend. Very nice pond. It wasn't quite finished in the pics but you get the idea. He used a vinyl liner too but dug the hole with a backhoe.

Attachments

• new 002.jpg
    new 002.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 211
  • new 003.jpg
    new 003.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 208

greyhound

camily said:
My husband built this pond for a friend. Very nice pond. It wasn't quite finished in the pics but you get the idea. He used a vinyl liner too but dug the hole with a backhoe.

That's very beautiful

camily said:

Wow, that's huge! Makes mine look like a speck!

I'm just afraid to go too big because I don't know how much time and work I'll have to dedicate to it. I figured the smaller the pond, the easier for me. :yay:

BlackSheep

camily said:
Saweet! :yay:

camily

Peace
Speedy70 said:
Wow, that's huge! Makes mine look like a speck!

I'm just afraid to go too big because I don't know how much time and work I'll have to dedicate to it. I figured the smaller the pond, the easier for me. :yay:
Like I said, that was for a friend. Mine is a speck too. :lol:

camily

Peace
Thanks for the compliments on the pond. I am making him a portfolio so I am trying to document all his "projects". He is out tonight finishing a screened in porch for a lady in Indian Head.

camily said:
Thanks for the compliments on the pond. I am making him a portfolio so I am trying to document all his "projects". He is out tonight finishing a screened in porch for a lady in Indian Head.

Does he build decks?