anyone use Skin So Soft for insect repellant

spellbound

I've heard in the past that Skin So Soft works as a repellant for biting insects. I was wondering if any of you have used it? And what your analysis is.

SeaRide

I am sure you are talking about using it against those no-see-ums, gnats, mosquitoes, deer flies, horseflies and dew flies, right?

I have use it for as along as I remember. Good for fishing around Wachapreague and kayaking around Chincoteague / Assateague. My family have use it for years.

My family has a 2nd home at Chincoteague so that's how we learned what the locals use for as a insect repellant.

somd whisper

spellbound said:
I've heard in the past that Skin So Soft works as a repellant for biting insects. I was wondering if any of you have used it? And what your analysis is.

I used it, worked pretty good, sad thing is I also used it as a shiner for major appliances such as the stove top and refrigerator. When I was in Florida and we went to buy a new stove the sales person told me to use that to keep it shiny and new looking and it works.

Not sure if there can be any repercussions from using it in that fashion but none so far.

greyhound

When I was a kid Skin so Soft was the only thing we used to keep bugs away. Our beach was on the river and there was a large marsh behind the beach. The gnats and flies were aweful. It seemed to work. As did Adolf's Meat Tenderizer, when we were stung by a bee or jellyfish.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Do you mean the SSS Bug Guard?

I don't like regular SSS, it's greasy. :boo:

I'll use Skintastic or Deep Woods Off. :yay:

changeling

spellbound said:

We've used it for years. Because it's a little greasy it does attract dirt but it does keep the bugs off.

Lilypad

I put a couple of ounces in a sprayer bottle-fill w/H20 and spray my dogs down wid it...keeps their fur shiny, skin-ever so soft and pesky the bugs stay away... :yay:
Works on humans too!

We use skin-so-soft at work for when someone accidentally uses permanent marker on the dry erase board. :lol: It cleans it right off!

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
:jameo:
changeling said:
Nah, we've been mainly sticking to the equestrian center this year. Besides it's :faint: HOT :faint: out there.

:faint: Excellent reply!!!!! Rode earlier and it was fine while I was in the woods but when we hit the road and the sun it was time to come home!
Wish we had luck with Skin-so-soft but it's pretty useless around here.

W

WildHorses

HorseLady said:
:jameo:

:faint: Excellent reply!!!!! Rode earlier and it was fine while I was in the woods but when we hit the road and the sun it was time to come home!
Wish we had luck with Skin-so-soft but it's pretty useless around here.

I just made a batch with H20 for the yearling yesterday and it seems to be working fine. :flowers: I didn't want to use anything strong with the young one because he likes to lick himself a bit. :killingme

W

WildHorses

WildHorses said:
I just made a batch with H20 for the yearling yesterday and it seems to be working fine. :flowers: I didn't want to use anything strong with the young one because he likes to lick himself a bit. :killingme

My young one is a horse, it's a yearling. :killingme

Lilypad

A suggestion or 2-

**Remember to check with your vet before putting anything on your equine friends.**

When using citronella in a recipe, be SURE to use only 100% PURE Citronella oil.

Fly Repellent 1:
Combine ingredients and use in spray bottle.
2 cups white vinegar
1 cup water
1 cup Avon Skin So Soft
1 Tablespoon eucalyptus oil

Fly Repellent 2:
2 cups mineral oil
½ cup lemon juice
2 tsp. Citronella oil
2 teaspoon eucalyptus oil
2 teaspoon lemon dish detergent

Fly Repellent 3:
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup water
1 oz citronella oil
2 oz Avon Skin So Soft

Fly Repellent 4:
Mix one part citronella oil with seven parts water.
If the flies are particularly bad, mix four parts water to one part citronella oil.

Fly Repellent 5:
Combine ingredients and use in spray bottle
2 Tablespoons dish soap
2 cups water
½ cup white vinegar

Fly Repellent 6:
15 oz water
5 oz commercial fly spray
5 oz vinegar
2 oz dish soap
2 oz vegetable oil

Fly Repellent 7:
Add six ounces of Skin So Soft to spray bottle full of water.

OK, the horse is taken car of, now what about those flies bombing you every time you walk into the barn?
Try out this nifty fly catcher-
Fly Catcher:
3 cups of water
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup white vinegar
Fill a quart jar with mixture and punch holes in the lid.
Leave jars where flies are annoying!

PrepH4U

spellbound said:
I was mostly curious about how well it works on horses.
I have found that when the normal fly spray doesn't work, I doctor it with a little SSS and some citronella oil. I find that it helps a bit as the oils allow the pesticide to stick to the hair shafts easier and doesn't seem to sweat off as easy. The bugs don't like the smell either. I was told the new duraguard (orange bottle) was the best this year, well not for my flies. :lol: I have found that switching sprays every other time helps also :shrug:

PrepH4U

Lilypad said:
**Remember to check with your vet before putting anything on your equine friends.**

When using citronella in a recipe, be SURE to use only 100% PURE Citronella oil.

Fly Repellent 1:
2 cups white vinegar
1 cup water
1 cup Avon Skin So Soft

Fly Repellent 2:
2 cups mineral oil
½ cup lemon juice
2 tsp. Citronella oil

Fly Repellent 3:
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup water
1 oz citronella oil
2 oz Avon Skin So Soft

Fly Repellent 4:
If the flies are particularly bad, mix four parts water to one part citronella oil.

Fly Repellent 5:
2 Tablespoons dish soap
2 cups water
½ cup white vinegar

Fly Repellent 6:
15 oz water
5 oz vinegar
2 oz dish soap
2 oz vegetable oil

Fly Repellent 7:

OK, the horse is taken car of, now what about those flies bombing you every time you walk into the barn?
Fly Catcher:
3 cups of water
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup white vinegar

I have used the various mixtures above, but also add tea tree oil & SSS instead of dish soap or veg oil. I have found adding the above ingredients to a bottle of bronco (cheapest) makes two bottles of a more natural fly spray. The vinegar works good but they sure smell like a pickle factory! :lol:

W

WildHorses

PrepH4U said:
I have found that when the normal fly spray doesn't work, I doctor it with a little SSS and some citronella oil. I find that it helps a bit as the oils allow the pesticide to stick to the hair shafts easier and doesn't seem to sweat off as easy. The bugs don't like the smell either. I was told the new duraguard (orange bottle) was the best this year, well not for my flies. :lol: I have found that switching sprays every other time helps also :shrug:

I think the new duraguard was best for the manufacturer, not the end user. :killingme Too pricey and it didn't work on the horses but have to admit it made a great stall spray, go figure. :whistle: Just came back from spraying the young one again, even if the SSS doesn't work as well as some others, he's starting to love being sprayed, he smells great and he stands without a lead or halter so I can spray to my heart's content. :howdy:

Last edited by a moderator:

changeling

Lilypad said:

Fly Repellent 1:
2 cups white vinegar
1 cup water
1 cup Avon Skin So Soft

Fly Repellent 2:
2 cups mineral oil
½ cup lemon juice
2 tsp. Citronella oil

Fly Repellent 3:
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup water
1 oz citronella oil
2 oz Avon Skin So Soft

Fly Repellent 4:

Fly Repellent 5:
2 Tablespoons dish soap
2 cups water
½ cup white vinegar

Fly Repellent 6:
15 oz water
5 oz vinegar
2 oz dish soap
2 oz vegetable oil

Fly Repellent 7:

Fly Catcher:
3 cups of water
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup white vinegar

I can't wait to try these. Thanks. :howdy: