My puppy found a nest of yellow jackets......

onebdzee

off the shelf
She is approximately 6 months old and was in the yard about 5 minutes ago and apparently sat down on a yellow jacket nest and yelped 4 times....I am going to assume that she was stung once for ever yelp

What should I look for as far as an allergic reaction to the stings?

If your dog gets stung, here are some suggestions on what to do:

1. Possible allergic reaction - get veterinary help immediately

- has difficulty breathing
- has difficulty swallowing
- hyperactivity such as barking possibly followed by fainting. Bee sting reactions can sometimes mimic seizures.
- swelling spreads beyond the sting area

2. No allergic reaction

- Remove the stinger. Scrape the visible portion with a card, fingernail or other thin and rigid object. Pulling on the stinger could cause it to break or even push more venom into the skin.
- If you cannot reach the stinger, leave it as it should eventually be shed.
- Place some meat tenderizer into a bowl with a small amount of water and mix it into a paste. Apply this to neutralize the venom which will help relieve pain and swelling. Keep it on for at least 30 minutes. You may have to wrap gauze or cloth around the area to prevent licking. Afterwards, you can simply rinse it off.
- Alternatively, you can place an ice cube on the site for a few minutes to relieve the pain.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
kwillia said:

- hyperactivity such as barking possibly followed by fainting. Bee sting reactions can sometimes mimic seizures.

2. No allergic reaction

- Remove the stinger. Scrape the visible portion with a card, fingernail or other thin and rigid object. Pulling on the stinger could cause it to break or even push more venom into the skin.
- Place some meat tenderizer into a bowl with a small amount of water and mix it into a paste. Apply this to neutralize the venom which will help relieve pain and swelling. Keep it on for at least 30 minutes. You may have to wrap gauze or cloth around the area to prevent licking. Afterwards, you can simply rinse it off.
- Alternatively, you can place an ice cube on the site for a few minutes to relieve the pain.
:huggy: If you have a bendryl pill, give her a lil piece of it.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Locate the nest, then after the sun goes down dump about a gallon of kerosene down their hole.
They don't fly at night and you won't have a problem with the nest anymore.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I'm an expert in this area. Really, Mily is VERY allergic to bees!

You can give a pup 1mg of Benadryl per lb of body weight for a "normal" allergic reaction. For a "severe" allergic reaction you can double that dose to 2mg per lb. Benadryl is very safe and it's very hard to over dose on it.

Mily's signs are hives, not just at the sting sight (which is usually the mouth since she chases them as if they're play things) but all over her body. Raised hives, almost like mosquito bites and they usually develop very quickly after a sting. I'd say within 15-20 minutes. The sting site swells huge as well. She's mostly white and her pink belly skin turns very red as well.

But all this being said. I'd consult a vet first. If you can't be seen and you think she's having an allergic reaction then take the above steps. :yay: I hope for the best for you and the pup. :huggy:

onebdzee

off the shelf
pixiegirl said:
I'm an expert in this area. Really, Mily is VERY allergic to bees!

You can give a pup 1mg of Benadryl per lb of body weight for a "normal" allergic reaction. For a "severe" allergic reaction you can double that dose to 2mg per lb. Benadryl is very safe and it's very hard to over dose on it.

Mily's signs are hives, not just at the sting sight (which is usually the mouth since she chases them as if they're play things) but all over her body. Raised hives, almost like mosquito bites and they usually develop very quickly after a sting. I'd say within 15-20 minutes. The sting site swells huge as well. She's mostly white and her pink belly skin turns very red as well.

But all this being said. I'd consult a vet first. If you can't be seen and you think she's having an allergic reaction then take the above steps. :yay: I hope for the best for you and the pup. :huggy:

It's been almost an hour since she was stung....if she was going to have an allergic reaction....she would've showed signs by now, right?

Nest located and marked....getting gas in a little while....Thanks Aps :yay:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
onebdzee said:
Kerosene, not gas. I doesn't evaporate as quickly. No need to light it.

Of course if you use gas, it's looks cool it you light it off at night (don't stand to close) :yikes:

onebdzee said:
It's been almost an hour since she was stung....if she was going to have an allergic reaction....she would've showed signs by now, right?

If they are yellow jackets they don't leave the stinger in so you don't need to worry about that. I would think she'd be showing signs by now if she was going to. In a day they are really going to itch though so you might want to get some anti itch medication to keep her from scratching. Be careful with the gas! Don't you have kerosene?

jbooty

onebdzee said:

My lab was stung before by a nest of yellow jackets. I was cutting grass at the time and didn't know what had happened until I went to put the tractor away. She looked pitiful. Her whole body was full of welts and she was doing lots of panting.. I rushed her to the vet and the first thing they did was check her gums to make sure they were still "pinkish".. they took her in the back room and gave her a shot of something and within 10 minutes, they brought her back out and all of the swelling was gone..

Good luck! :huggy:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
onebdzee said:

If it's been an hour and she hasn't started swelling up then you're probably in the clear. If she starts scratching the stings later in the day you can give her the lower dose of Benadryl to take the edge off. :yay: I roll the pills up in a ball of peanut butter for Mily.

onebdzee

off the shelf
desertrat said:
If they are yellow jackets they don't leave the stinger in so you don't need to worry about that. I would think she'd be showing signs by now if she was going to. In a day they are really going to itch though so you might want to get some anti itch medication to keep her from scratching. Be careful with the gas! Don't you have kerosene?

Vet was called....No swelling....gums are still the same color as always....benadryl will be given if she starts to itch....she's "pro-wrestling" with my other dog(usual morning routine) as I type :yay:

Kerosene is being brought over from the shop this afternoon and dumped down into the nest later on tonight

Thanks for all the help guys! :huggy:

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
kwillia said:

2. No allergic reaction

I wish you were my Mommy... :smooch: