cost to have doors replaced

joedancer

bookman
I am having doors replaced in my home. Can anyone give me an estimate for how much it costs, excluding the price of the doors, and not installing new frames?
Thanks!

willie

I believe both Home Depot and Lowes have the installed price posted on the doors for sale.

joedancer

bookman
Lowes inflates installation prices. I am wanting to know what private contractors charge. Thanks for your reply.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I'm replacing a patio door (pulling out a slider; installing a french patio door), and the price quoted me by private contractors for installation wasn't any different than Lowes. I've decided to stick with Lowes because I know they'll be there in a year if something goes wrong with the door whereas John Doe installer may not. :ohwell:

DO NOT USE THE LOWES IN WALDORF FOR INSTALLATION!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad Experience #1: Friend has Lowes install new french doors in livingroom. 1 year and 4 (or is it 5?) sets of doors later, he STILL does not have a correctly installed and working set of doors. He has been fighting both Lowes of Waldorf and JeldWin for over a year.

Bad Experience #2: Friend (different one) custom orders a set of french doors from Lowes of Waldorf. Had to custom order due to needing deeper jambs due to brick exterior on back of house. Wanted to match the jamb depth of replaced doors. He did not realize until he got them home and was ready to install them that Lowes had ordered the wrong jamb depth. Had no choice but to install them and do a jamb extension on them since the old door was already removed. Waiting to see what kind of refund Lowes will be giving him.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Lowes doesn't install doors themselves; they have contractors in the area who come out and perform the installation. If your friend had a detail done by the Lowes contractor (where they come out, measure, inspect the frame area, etc.), it should be on them (Lowes and the installer) to rectify the situation; not the manufacturer (Jeldwin). If he ordered the door and didn't get a detail done, it's on him vs. Lowes. :shrug:

It's a small price to pay ($35) to ensure you get the right size you need, and remove yourself from the error equation if something does go wrong.

mandylee

Ha Ha Ha

Lowes is one of the worst companies to evey have anything installed, my hubby owns AJK HOME IMPROVEMENTS AND WHAT THEY CHARGE THEIR IS REDICULOUS..For instance it cost's 125-150$ for a Storm door, he chages 55 and has it installed in less than 30 minutes, compared to lowes all day. If you want good quality and very resonalble prices call him. :howdy: BTW The agricopia Neighbor hood in La Plata is where 75% of his business has been in the PAST 2YEARS! So that might tell you something. Check out his site and see how many ither contractors have a site up, Instead of the old photo book other contractors will hand you, Plus he's a No bull, stright forward and honest person. :buttkick: .