I've got wood!

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I've decided to replace the carpet in the family room with hard wood flooring. The rest of the downstairs has 2 1/4" x 3/4" red oak w/a satin finish. I want to do something different in the family room, but the existing wood floors butt up to this room, so both will be visible to eachother and connect (if that makes sense).

Given the family room has the fireplace, I'd like to redo it in a cozy, lodge feel. I'm looking at a darker, handscraped oak floor (smaller of two dark samples); a darker, handscraped bamboo sample (bigger dark sample); and an australian cypress that is lighter, but makes for a damn beautiful floor. Both the dark flooring types are in 5 inch wide planks, and the cypress is in a 4-inch wide plank; all are solid and also 3/4" thick so the floors will all be on the same level.

My concerns are:

1) Is a darker flooring (regardless of whether it's oak or bamboo) too 'drastic' a contrast from the red oak; therefore, maybe go with the cypress?

2) If I do go with the darker option, which product would you recommend -- the oak or the bamboo (they're comparable in price, so that's not an issue)?

Thoughts? Opinions? :tap:

Attachments

• hw-floor.gif
    hw-floor.gif
    74.1 KB · Views: 188
  • hw-floor2.gif
    hw-floor2.gif
    61.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Family room.jpg
    Family room.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 178

joedancer

bookman
We just put bamboo through much of our house. Whatever color you go with, note that you can get it online for around $2.50 a square foot. We bought ours from ifloors.com. Flat $99 shipping no matter how much you buy. The local flooring places charge $7.50 a square foot. We love our floors!
Joe

crabcake

Thanks for the suggestion (ifloor.com), but for what I'm looking at, their prices aren't any better than who I'm getting it from locally.

Lilypad

Went from w2w carpeting in home I purchased to oak flooring, no laminated stuff-I'm thrilled!
The dogs love it too-you should see em peel wheels!
Good luck with whatever choice you make-you're gonna love it! :yay:

Nanny Pam

I like the lighter wood too. I think it shows less dust, scratches, etc. Then accent with your darker / brighter area rugs.

Nanny Pam

Nanny Pam said:
I like the lighter wood too. I think it shows less dust, scratches, etc. Then accent with your darker / brighter area rugs.
Also, the lighter color floor will make the room appear bigger.

crabcake

I'm leaning more toward the lighter of the samples as well. I'm afraid of the dark/light contrast once it's down. I love the handscraped look/texture, but wish it came in a lighter color. :ohwell:

And I definately won't go with laminate flooring. I hate the hollow feeling and sound you get when walking on it ... the floor just doesn't feel solid. And Lily, you're right; it's fun watching the dogs and cat try to get grip when they're flying through the kitchen and around corners. :lol:

CMC122

Go Braves!
I love the look of the dark wood:jet: But I don't think it's probably the look your going for so go for the light:yay:

crabcake

Lumber Liquidators has the best internet prices on hardwood flooring that I've found. :yay: I like the Bruce flooring, but Bellawood offers a 50-year warranty on their finishes, so it's hard to not go with them.

Nanny Pam said:
:clap: :yay: That's beautiful!!

:huggy: Thank you! He really is doing a great job! Here is what it looks like. This was a picture of the baby crib that I have used for my two little ones. It has been in the family for over 50 years. My husband slept in it as a baby and so did his mother.

Last edited:

crabcake

CableChick said:
:huggy: Thank you! He really is doing a great job! Here is what it looks like. This was a picture of the baby crib that I have used for my two little ones. It has been in the family for over 50 years. My husband slept in it as a baby and so did his mother.

That looks great! I love the beadboard in there as well. :yay: