How can I prevent spreading Ivy?

mdgirlie

Back at it again! I live in a townhome community. A fence separates my back yard from my neighbor's. My neighbor has a ton of ivy in their back yard that is now spreading uncontrollably into my yard. I've killed most of the roots, but it keeps coming back with a vengeance. Is there a type of border or something that I can place on my fence to prevent the ivy from growing on my property?

Lilypad

mdgirlie said:
Back at it again! I live in a townhome community. A fence separates my back yard from my neighbor's. My neighbor has a ton of ivy in their back yard that is now spreading uncontrollably into my yard. I've killed most of the roots, but it keeps coming back with a vengeance. Is there a type of border or something that I can place on my fence to prevent the ivy from growing on my property?
I take it you are talking about English ivy?

Manual, mechanical and chemical control methods are all effective in removing and killing English ivy. Employing a combination of methods often yields the best results and may reduce potential impacts to native plants, animals and people. The method you select depends on the extent and type of infestation, the amount of native vegetation on the site, and the time, labor and other resources available to you.

PSA

USE PESTICIDES WISELY: ALWAYS READ THE ENTIRE PESTICIDE LABEL CAREFULLY, FOLLOW ALL MIXING AND APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND WEAR ALL RECOMMENDED PERSONAL PROTECTIVE GEAR AND CLOTHING. CONTACT YOUR STATE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE FOR ANY ADDITIONAL PESTICIDE USE REQUIREMENTS, RESTRICTIONS OR RECOMMENDATIONS.

NOTICE: MENTION OF PESTICIDE PRODUCTS IN MY THREAD DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ENDORSEMENT OF ANY MATERIAL.

Have you talked to your neighbor about this? :shrug:
United you stand-divided you fall!

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
dig a trench 18" deep 6" wide and fill it in with concrete.
this will keep the roots from running into your yard.
then when the vine sneaks in go ahead and treat the leaves with woody roundup, this will kill the plant that those leaves belong to.

mdgirlie

Nanny Pam said:
Try "Primatol" (sp) I use it to kill the stuff on the other side of the fence.
It kills everything.

I would try that, but I don't want to destroy something that doesn't belong to me. I acutally tried Roundup and it killed most of the stuff, including the roots, but more vines keep coming across. I am looking for more of a Peventative method. Thanks for your help!

mdgirlie

bcp said:
dig a trench 18" deep 6" wide and fill it in with concrete.
this will keep the roots from running into your yard.
then when the vine sneaks in go ahead and treat the leaves with woody roundup, this will kill the plant that those leaves belong to.

Thank you, I will definitely try this. I assume that can purchase some concrete from Lowe's. I do believe that 18" is pretty deep for me, and may be pretty costly.

oldman

Lobster Land
How about wearing a condom while out in your yard. The AMA says it helps keeping down the spread of a lot of things?

Cowgirl

If it is spreading under the fence, try using one of those garden/flowerbed borders that you hammer into the ground.

mdgirlie

Cowgirl said:
If it is spreading under the fence, try using one of those garden/flowerbed borders that you hammer into the ground.
This is what I actually removed. It grew underneath the border.

mdgirlie

oldman said:
How about wearing a condom while out in your yard. The AMA says it helps keeping down the spread of a lot of things?

How about you wear a condom cause you're acting like a di(k. :howdy: