Birdfeeders: A very unwelcomed visitor!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Not a deer, squirrel, cat, or predatory bird this time. :burning:

This morning when I looked over at my birdfeeder all was well. A little while later I went outside and noticed something stuck in the wire cage around the feeder tube. I thought it was a tree branch that had falled from the trees, nothing unusual about that. Then I realized it was a snake and it had caught one of my songbirds. :bawl:

I was mad :mad: and sooo tempted to go over and kill it. But, I know it wasn't a "bad" snake. It ate the whole thing and then I made it go away.

Attachments

• snakebird.jpg
    snakebird.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 354
  • snakebird2.jpg
    snakebird2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 318

Nanny Pam

I wish I had a "kinder, gentler side" when it comes to snakes. I don't.
I hate them with a passion and I would have shot it.
I will not go see that movie with planes & snakes, either! :yikes:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Nanny Pam said:
I will not go see that movie with planes & snakes, either! :yikes:

I want to see that when it's on TV (or paymore). I saw a piece of a preview where a snake fell out of one of the lights and then there was screaming! :lol:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Sharon said:
I want to see that when it's on TV (or paymore). I saw a piece of a preview where a snake fell out of one of the lights and then there was screaming! :lol:
My worst fear growing up on the farm was a snake falling out of the rafters of the barns:jameo:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
CMC122 said:
My worst fear growing up on the farm was a snake falling out of the rafters of the barns:jameo:
One of my worst fears, at any time, is finding a snake in the toilet (a real one, you goobers :lmao:). :faint:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
CMC122 said:

I can understand that. :lol:

After a long day of moving into my house in Calvert, I finally caught a break. I saw down in one of the chairs to rest for a minute. Then, something thumped me in back of the head. I looked around and didn't see anything so I reached up to my head and grabbed something strange & wet :yikes: and threw it to the floor. It was the first tree frog I'd ever seen. :lmao:

Before I came back to read this thread, I was looking outside and a hummingbird was chasing a black-capped chichadee around the yard. The BCC flew inside the wire cage of the birdfeeder (in the pic) for safety sake. The hummer flew off for a second and was back around in pursuit of another chickadee. Weird bird day.

Vince

Nickel said:
One of my worst fears, at any time, is finding a snake in the toilet (a real one, you goobers :lmao:). :faint:
Never found a snake in the toilet, but I did have a seal in the toilet. In the Antarctic the outhouses were over holes in the ice and I was on the sitting on the seat one day and a seal came up through the ice right under the sh!tter. :yikes: Needless to say the toilet was all his.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Vince said:
Never found a snake in the toilet, but I did have a seal in the toilet. In the Antarctic the outhouses were over holes in the ice and I was on the sitting on the seat one day and a seal came up through the ice right under the sh!tter. :yikes: Needless to say the toilet was all his.
:snort:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Vince said:
That would be very startling. :lmao:

jackoholic

T.O.-less and happy!
Sharon said:

This morning when I looked over at my birdfeeder all was well. A little while later I went outside and noticed something stuck in the wire cage around the feeder tube. I thought it was a tree branch that had falled from the trees, nothing unusual about that. Then I realized it was a snake and it had caught one of my songbirds. :bawl:

I was mad :mad: and sooo tempted to go over and kill it. But, I know it wasn't a "bad" snake. It ate the whole thing and then I made it go away.

you maybe, should have gotten a hold of that snake and dumped it down the road. I think he's found his new hunting ground. It's gonna eat a few more of your birds. I had a neighborhood cat do the same thing with my feeders until a car ran over it.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Vince said:

What are the odds of this happening? And how do you tell that story........"yea, there I was just minding my buisness and........ :lmao:

SoftballCrazy

Sharon said:

When squirrels would get on my Dad's bird feeders (the kind w/ the pole in the ground, bird feeder on top of the pole), he'd grease the pole, the squirrels would try to climb/jump on it, and then the squirrells would slide back down...I don't know if that would work for snakes or your type of feeder...quite comical w/ squirrels though.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
SoftballCrazy said:
When squirrels would get on my Dad's bird feeders (the kind w/ the pole in the ground, bird feeder on top of the pole), he'd grease the pole, the squirrels would try to climb/jump on it, and then the squirrells would slide back down...I don't know if that would work for snakes or your type of feeder...quite comical w/ squirrels though.
My feeders hang from a thin coated-steel-wire attached between two trees. I've tried almost everything I can think of as a deterrent, it's a regular circus around here. Once a day I implement my "last resort" :whistle: though no squirrels are permanently damaged.