Granite counter tops

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Any suggestions/tips from those who have them? Pros? Cons? I was only going to have a new counter put in the bathroom, but I'm getting a good deal/quote on putting new counters in the kitchen too, so I'm searching for a reason not to do it. I'm already aware of the sealing issue. Anything else? :shrug:

Pete

Repete
I have never been a fan. Glass v. Granite is not a matchup I like. Very hard, no rebound, if it is breakable and you drop it it will break on granite.

MMDad

Lem Putt
crabcake said:
Any suggestions/tips from those who have them? Pros? Cons? I was only going to have a new counter put in the bathroom, but I'm getting a good deal/quote on putting new counters in the kitchen too, so I'm searching for a reason not to do it. I'm already aware of the sealing issue. Anything else? :shrug:
Your mother already told you what to do. Listen to her. She's kinda smart.

http://forums.somd.com/showpost.php?p=1660768&postcount=47

crabcake

Pete said:
I have never been a fan. Glass v. Granite is not a matchup I like. Very hard, no rebound, if it is breakable and you drop it it will break on granite.

My counters currently have ceramic tile, which is just as unforgiving with glass as granite. I always thought I'd like tiled counters, until I have them. Now I want them gone. The grout is a PITA to keep clean. :boo:

crabcake

MMDad said:
Your mother already told you what to do. Listen to her. She's kinda smart.

http://forums.somd.com/showpost.php?p=1660768&postcount=47

At the price I'm being quoted, I could still get a boob job after the granite if I wanted. :lol: Seriously, it's a great price, or I wouldn't even consider redoing the kitchen, as there's nothing wrong with my counters in there (they're less than 5 years old). I just hate the maintenance of the tile/grout.

Pete

Repete
crabcake said:
My counters currently have ceramic tile, which is just as unforgiving with glass as granite. I always thought I'd like tiled counters, until I have them. Now I want them gone. The grout is a PITA to keep clean. :boo:
My parents wanted tile and I was like :confused: Who the hell wants a shower wall for a counter?

crabcake

Pete said:
My parents wanted tile and I was like :confused: Who the hell wants a shower wall for a counter?

I'm not sure really why I wanted it; I guess I thought it'd make for easier clean-ups, but damn was I wrong. Any and EVERYthing that spills on it stains the grout. I'm good about quickly cleaning up spills, but it's kinda gross now to think about it being porous, and how even if you wipe up a spill, some of it still seeps down into the grout ... and the first thing I think about is chicken juice. :barf:

The appeal of solid surface counters becomes even more appealing when you think about it like that, as well as when I want to make something like home made spaghetti/pasta. I can use the entire counter top surface, wipe it up right into the sunken sink, nothing will penetrate it (because it'll be sealed) and voila! :yay:

I'm moreso trying to think of the possible cons to having it ... kind of like how I didn't think about the grout issue with tile. :ohwell:

crabcake

Those with taste are invited to provide their input on colors ...

Here is the kitchen and some of the colors I'm looking at. A couple more colors to follow ...

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 183
  • kitchen2.jpg
    kitchen2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 143
  • baltic peach.jpg
    baltic peach.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 107
  • emerald pearl.jpg
    emerald pearl.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 112
  • blue pearl.jpg
    blue pearl.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 127

crabcake

And the others ... the tiles I have now are a terra-cotta color, so I'm liking the peachy colored one, but given the appliances are stainless and black, I like the dark green irridescent one (middle of previous post) a lot. I'm leaning toward a stainless steel backsplash as well, if that helps any.

Attachments

• vernecian gold.jpg
    vernecian gold.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Red Rose.jpg
    Red Rose.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 87
  • giallo fiorito.jpg
    giallo fiorito.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 95
  • blue ice.jpg
    blue ice.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 94

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
:yay: I love the emerald pearl selection. The others had too much color in them for my taste, especially the baltic peach one - it looks way too orange to me. :ohwell:

crabcake

Frozenpl said:
Look at Silestone, requires no sealing and very durable. We had Home Depot install and it was less than Granite.

http://www.silestoneusa.com/

I looked at Silestone and I like it, but I know of two people who have 8+ week long horror stories related to having it installed via Home Depot. For what I'm being quoted for the granite, Silestone would be more expensive by about $1300, and after hearing their horror stories, I'm not taking the chance. :nono:

If I was just doing the bathroom counter, perhaps ... I've been without use of that bathroom for several weeks now, so it wouldn't be a big deal to be without it a few more. But if I am going to get the kitchen done too, I am going with another product/company for install. And as I mentioned earlier, what I'm being quoted for the granite is a steal compared to other higher-end counter products.

crabcake

BadGirl said:
:yay: I love the emerald pearl selection. The others had too much color in them for my taste, especially the baltic peach one - it looks way too orange to me. :ohwell:

That's what I'm leaning toward as well. I think it'd tie the kitchen together nicely. Of course, the issue remains with the bathroom. I'll probaby go with a different color for up there.

Here's a pic of the new cabinet color that I'll be getting for that bathroom, as well as a pic of it as it is now (under construction). It WILL be repainted a different color, depending on what I go with for the counter.

Attachments

• cabinet color.jpg
    cabinet color.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 90
  • bathroom2.gif
    bathroom2.gif
    63.6 KB · Views: 122

Nanny Pam

crabcake said:
And the others ... the tiles I have now are a terra-cotta color, so I'm liking the peachy colored one, but given the appliances are stainless and black, I like the dark green irridescent one (middle of previous post) a lot. I'm leaning toward a stainless steel backsplash as well, if that helps any.
I like the "red rose" from this selection. I think it will go nicely with your HW floors

crabcake

Nanny Pam said:
I like the "red rose" from this selection. I think it will go nicely with your HW floors

You don't think that'll be too "matchy matchy"? :confused: I like that one too, but was afraid it was too similiar to the color I already have in the terra-cotta tiles.

Oh, and check your email re: what you sent me earlier. :wink:

Nanny Pam

crabcake said:
You don't think that'll be too "matchy matchy"? :confused: I like that one too, but was afraid it was too similiar to the color I already have in the terra-cotta tiles.

Oh, and check your email re: what you sent me earlier. :wink:
OK....done. It's no problem.

I'd go find a nice, bold yellow for an accent color. It will all pull together.

crabcake

Nanny Pam said:
Or just go get the boob job. :shrug:

LYMI

:smack: Biatch! And to think, I was gonna ask for your counter measurements for your secret spongecake Christmas present! :bubble: :nono: