Mattress Sets

D

dems4me

OK, its been about 15 years since I bought my last mattress set, boxspring frame and all... Its now squeekly, lumpy and a some springs sticking out... not conducive to a good nights rest. I'm looking again but all I keep thinking of is Matress Discounters and I looked them up and they seem to be very pricey! :shocking: What else is out there? I remember when I got my bed, headboard, nightstand and dressers back in the day all for 200.00 it was a "room sale" from a Carolina Company or something or other... something tells me I won't find that kind of bargain ever again. Where are some other places to buy a bed - something nice and will last but not something that will break the bank? I'd like something the sooner the better - something I can drive home with me, not have delivered. Any suggestions? :flowers:

dems4me said:
OK, its been about 15 years since I bought my last mattress set, boxspring frame and all... Its now squeekly, lumpy and a some springs sticking out... not conducive to a good nights rest. I'm looking again but all I keep thinking of is Matress Discounters and I looked them up and they seem to be very pricey! :shocking: What else is out there? I remember when I got my bed, headboard, nightstand and dressers back in the day all for 200.00 it was a "room sale" from a Carolina Company or something or other... something tells me I won't find that kind of bargain ever again. Where are some other places to buy a bed - something nice and will last but not something that will break the bank? I'd like something the sooner the better - something I can drive home with me, not have delivered. Any suggestions? :flowers:
I spent the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend shopping for a queen size set and new bed frame for my daughter... the absolute best deal and best folks to deal with were at the mattress place on 301 a few places down from the Applebee's..... Mattress Mart.

We it Carolina Furniture, mattress discounters, and quite a few other places, but they were all :boo:

D

dems4me

kwillia said:
I spent the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend shopping for a queen size set and new bed frame for my daughter... the absolute best deal and best folks to deal with were at the mattress place on 301 a few places down from the Applebee's..... Mattress Mart.

We it Carolina Furniture, mattress discounters, and quite a few other places, but they were all :boo:

Thanks! I'll look to see if they have a website :huggy: I'm surprised the cost of a bed is soo much! Guess I havn't really been looking either.... it may just be easier to saw off the springs sticking up and break out the duck tape. :lol:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Pete said:
I want to try a sleep number thingy.
My dad has a pinched nerve in his back from a few slipped disks and my step-mom has some kind of disease where she's really achey all the time. They had the hardest time trying to find a bed. They recently bought a sleep number bed and both love it.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Pete said:
I want to try a sleep number thingy.

So do I. I've been looking into mattreses for months. They aren't cheap.

I found a mattress set I liked at Mattress Corner in PF. It's $699 for a set for a double. It's a Sealy set, with the pillow top. That's not a bad price either but it's not the sleep number.

dems4me said:
Thanks! I'll look to see if they have a website :huggy: I'm surprised the cost of a bed is soo much! Guess I havn't really been looking either.... it may just be easier to saw off the springs sticking up and break out the duck tape. :lol:
Don't bother with a website. You cannot pick the mattress/box spring that will work for you over a website. You really need to try them out in person. My daughter was very particular of the feel that she wanted and knew immediately what would work and what wouldn't.

I can't say enough good things about my experience with Mattress Mart. The sales guy listened to us describe what we wanted and did not try to push any particular line. We even bought a new headboard from them and he talked my daughter out of getting a footboard giving his opinion that it makes it harder to make the bed and takes up "navigation room" in a room. He could have easily kept his mouth shut which would have adding hundreds to the total cost. When I asked about mattress covers.. he said that in his opinion I could get a good quality cover at Walmart for much less. He didn't have to say that... he could have let me buy a high dollar cover from them. He was right... I found a really good, high quality cover at Walmart for much less than what one would pay in a mattress store.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
kwillia said:
Don't bother with a website. You cannot pick the mattress/box spring that will work for you over a website. You really need to try them out in person. My daughter was very particular of the feel that she wanted and knew immediately what would work and what wouldn't.

I can't say enough good things about my experience with Mattress Mart. The sales guy listened to us describe what we wanted and did not try to push any particular line. We even bought a new headboard from them and he talked my daughter out of getting a footboard giving his opinion that it makes it harder to make the bed and takes up "navigation room" in a room. He could have easily kept his mouth shut which would have adding hundreds to the total cost. When I asked about mattress covers.. he said that in his opinion I could get a good quality cover at Walmart for much less. He didn't have to say that... he could have let me buy a high dollar cover from them. He was right... I found a really good, high quality cover at Walmart for much less than what one would pay in a mattress store.

What did you end up getting? Cost?

cattitude said:
What did you end up getting? Cost?
I will forward you the PMer I just sent to Dems... :lol:

My daughters bed set is without a doubt the BEST bed in the house. Let me go PMer you...

Pete

Repete
kwillia said:

I have an aversion to buying anything that costs more than $5 at a store with "Mart" in the name. :lol:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
When we moved B and I got a new bed and mattress. We went for a platform bed with slats and a foam mattress (no boxspring needed with the slats). I LOVE it. The honking butt expensive regular mattress I was sleeping on before was no wear near as comphy. I have neck/shoulder issues so I'm pretty particular.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
pixiegirl said:
When we moved B and I got a new bed and mattress. We went for a platform bed with slats and a foam mattress (no boxspring needed with the slats). I LOVE it. The honking butt expensive regular mattress I was sleeping on before was no wear near as comphy. I have neck/shoulder issues so I'm pretty particular.
:howdy: We have the same setup. Platform bed and memory foam mattress. We absolutely love it, and it was way cheap.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
pixiegirl said:

Pix, honey, this makes my brain hurt.

:lmao:

Pete said:
I have an aversion to buying anything that costs more than $5 at a store with "Mart" in the name. :lol:
I had that mindset too... that was why I shopped several furniture stores, Mattress Discounters and a couple other places first...:lol:

I can say that it wasn't a total waste of time hitting those other places though because I knew what the other places had to offer and immediately recognized the deal Mattress Mart could make couldn't be beat and they were selling the same stuff every other place was selling.

One more benefit I'd like to note regarding Mattress Mart. They had a very good selection ALREADY IN STOCK. All other places said that I would have to order/pay up front and then wait a minimum of 7-10 days before it would come in. :dead: I was able to purchase the headboard, (frame was included free with the mattress set purchase), mattress, and box spring and take it home immediately! :cartwheel

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
cattitude said:
So do I. I've been looking into mattreses for months. They aren't cheap.

I found a mattress set I liked at Mattress Corner in PF. It's $699 for a set for a double. It's a Sealy set, with the pillow top. That's not a bad price either but it's not the sleep number.

If you get a pillow top mattress, make sure the pillow top is removable. The pillow top on my set got lumpy and worn out after about 5 years and I had to toss it out and buy a foam topper. I would of been screwed if it didnt come off.

D

dems4me

Nickel said:
:howdy: We have the same setup. Platform bed and memory foam mattress. We absolutely love it, and it was way cheap.

Please explain, I've never ehard of a platform bed... do you have pictures? a website link or something? If its cheaper and not quite an airmattress... I may be interested.