New Kitchen new appliances...how much to spend?

Ponytail

Ok, as you may already know, I am in the middle of a kitchen renovation and I am at a crossroad.

I'm shopping for kitchen appliances to go in my new kitchen. I need an alectric freestanding range, a fridge, microwave and dishwasher. BAsic stuff.

How much of the cost of the appliances can I expect to re-coup from selling the house?

If I get cheap stuff expecting not to get any of it back, the kitchen will LOOK cheap, and make the house more difficult to sell. But If I spend the extra $$$, get nice stuff with nice features that will add that little extra spark to the kitchen, will I get any of it back? I've seen figures ranging from 75%-98% return on kitchen renovations, but I'm not sure if that includes the price of appliances. Some folks like to take their appliances with them when they move. The less that I have to move, the better...unless the house that I move into needs the stuff that I have and has space to fit it properly.

Any advice?

TIA

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Ponytail said:
Ok, as you may already know, I am in the middle of a kitchen renovation and I am at a crossroad.

I'm shopping for kitchen appliances to go in my new kitchen. I need an alectric freestanding range, a fridge, microwave and dishwasher. BAsic stuff.

How much of the cost of the appliances can I expect to re-coup from selling the house?

If I get cheap stuff expecting not to get any of it back, the kitchen will LOOK cheap, and make the house more difficult to sell. But If I spend the extra $$$, get nice stuff with nice features that will add that little extra spark to the kitchen, will I get any of it back? I've seen figures ranging from 75%-98% return on kitchen renovations, but I'm not sure if that includes the price of appliances. Some folks like to take their appliances with them when they move. The less that I have to move, the better...unless the house that I move into needs the stuff that I have and has space to fit it properly.

Any advice?

TIA

Are you saying that you are soon to be needing a new, larger home? :eyebrow:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Splurge on a NICE 'Fridge... Buy a decent dishwasher since it will be quieter. Microwaves are disposable anymore, so buy whatever matches. And I have no clue about ranges but I imagine one of those flat/glass top models would be a good choice.

PT, IMO, if I didn't like the appliances in a house I was considering... it would be a deal breaker and I'd look elsewhere. I don't think you have to go "top of the line" but I wouldn't go with the low end products either...:shrug:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
kwillia said:
PT, IMO, if I didn't like the appliances in a house I was considering... it would be a deal breaker and I'd look elsewhere. I don't think you have to go "top of the line" but I wouldn't go with the low end products either...:shrug:
I think that's very much true. IMO, kitchens and bathrooms sell a house! :yay:

Ponytail

Chasey_Lane said:
I think that's very much true. IMO, kitchens and bathrooms sell a house! :yay:

But is a $1500 range over the top? 5-7 element ceramic top with convection oven, bottom warming drawer and controls are on the front panel instead of in the back.

or should I spend a 1/3rd of that and go with a more conventional one? There ARE ranges that go $2500 and more for the same size.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Ponytail said:
But is a $1500 range over the top? 5-7 element ceramic top with convection oven, bottom warming drawer and controls are on the front panel instead of in the back.
I wouldn't pay that much for one, but if it is what YOU want and can afford it, I say absolutely go for it! I know it would look beautiful and you'd be happy with it in your home. :smile:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
When I had my house built, the builder gave me an allowance of about $3k for the appliances. I wound up spending about $2,400 and got nice but not top of the line products. Gas cooktop, electric wall oven, large side-by-side fridge, washer and dryer, and a microwave. I already had a new dishwasher so that saved about $400.

I don't see where the fancy appliances would gain you anything when selling the house unless the rest of the house is comparable. Nothing worse than stuffing a Viking stove into a tiny galley kitchen in a little rambler. :lol:

Ponytail

jazz lady said:
When I had my house built, the builder gave me an allowance of about $3k for the appliances. I wound up spending about $2,400 and got nice but not top of the line products. Gas cooktop, electric wall oven, large side-by-side fridge, washer and dryer, and a microwave. I already had a new dishwasher so that saved about $400.

I don't see where the fancy appliances would gain you anything when selling the house unless the rest of the house is comparable. Nothing worse than stuffing a Viking stove into a tiny galley kitchen in a little rambler. :lol:

I understand that and I'm not going for the million dollar package stuffed into a $2 bag. I'm limited to size due to the cabinets, but even with that, the choices are mind numbing.

On a slightly different note, anybody have a ceramic top range and wish they got conventional coils instead?

Ponytail said:
I understand that and I'm not going for the million dollar package stuffed into a $2 bag. I'm limited to size due to the cabinets, but even with that, the choices are mind numbing.

On a slightly different note, anybody have a ceramic top range and wish they got conventional coils instead?

I have a ceramic top and love it vs conventional coils. The only thing that I don't like is that the top is black and shows every little thing burnt on there that can't be scraped off. I am definatly going for a different color top next time.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
workin hard said:
I have a ceramic top and love it vs conventional coils. The only thing that I don't like is that the top is black and shows every little thing burnt on there that can't be scraped off. I am definatly going for a different color top next time.
My Mom has one too and swears by the magic erase sponges to clean hers.