Solomons Firehouse carnival - with a rat?

Took my little boy to the cheesy carnival that was held over Memorial Day weekend at the Solomon's Vol. firehouse.

Anyone here see the game of chance that used a live rat? People would place their bets to win a crappy prize that you wouldn't pay a quarter for at a yardsale, and the carny would spin a wheel and release a live rat. Whichever colored hole the rat escaped to, won a prize.

Gave me an icky feeling.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
:eek: OMG - I am dying here. I went on Thurs - saw it was open on my way home from work and grabbed my neighbor and made him go with me. He had a horrible time, but I had a ball - but when I saw the rat crawling around on that guy's shoulder- UGH - when we were standing in line for the swings - that was a yucky feeling. I remember that! When does a "real" carnival/fair come to the area?

bknarw

Attire Monitor
The Calvert fair is in the fall, but Prince Frederick also has a cheesy fair that comes in around the fourth.

Just toss a little bit of food into one of the holes when the carny isn't looking, and then bet on that color!

G

giggles04

Hey migtig

There will be two worthwhile carnivals coming soon for ya!
There is the Hollywood carnival around the end of July and the Ridge carnival in August! Don't think all of your carnival experiences are going to be like that one!

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Thanks bk & giggles - I will be looking for the signs :) However I know where all those places are except "the Ridge" - can ya give me a heads up? TIA

G

giggles04

Its the Ridge volunteer fire department carnival. Its usually the second and third weekend in August. Its south of Lexington Park... just 15min on Route 5... its hard to miss.. might seem kinda small.... but its a good time... lots of good food... good rides... and its just a Ridge good ol' time:)

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
You all are going to have to let me know when things like this are going on (and give me directions) in the future - so I don't miss out!!!

G

giggles04

Hey joeyinlexpark

I was there!:) There's nothing better than fireworks in Ridge:) I live right around where Monks is... so I do all Ridge things too. At least this year there wasn't as many wild fireworks. Last year one almost hit one of the band-aid boxes!

G

giggles04

Hey Migtig... I'll tell ya anything I know thats coming up....:) I usually know everything going on in at least the Southern half of the county!

G

giggles04

Hey Joey...

I probably saw you! I was all over the place down there Saturday night! Which team do you play on?

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Breezy Point and Chesapeake Beach are also good for fireworks at various times of the year, by the way...

G

giggles04

Yeah... and Dennis Point too.... when they do them.... almost right on the St. mary's River when the do they during the River Concert Series

G

giggles04

Thats cool:) An interesting group of guys on that team.... a good friend of mine played on it last year.... I'm sure you have fun! Maybe I'll see you play... and you'll never know:p

shammy

Ridge... aka hicksville!

Haha, I've lived in Ridge my whole life. My fiance and I went to the fireworks saturday night also. They were pretty good! I hadn't been in a couple years. I usually swing by the carnival once or twice at least for some fabulous cardboard pizza... Mmmm Mmmm Good! Carnival pizza is by far the best!

G

giggles04

Hahahaha Shammy! Ridge is not hicksville!!!!!!! ha. who am I trying to kid... I know that it is!!!!!! I'm like the queen! I'm even involved with the fire department... well at least half of my friends are members!

Yeah, you've got to love the cardboard pizza. It never changes... its always the best. The thing I love about the carnival though is the french fries. They are the greatest! :cheers:

shammy

Haha, I used to say I was the queen of Ridge... guess we'll have to fight for the title huh! Haha, no really you can have it. That was back in the day when me and my skater friends would just walk the streets for lack of something better to do. Good times though!
I know a few guys in the fire department. We probably know each other. Send me a pm and reveal your identity!!! :bandit:
Yeah Ridge is hicksville but it's not so bad.
As for the carnival pizza, I've got a craving now. My fiance got some at the softball game at the Brass Rail last night and that was good too. St. Michael's has a pizza night the first friday of every month and that is usually pretty yummy.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Nope the best is the CORNDOGS - yummy - never ever eat them at any other time or any other place :)

G

giggles04

Corndogs.... yummy stuff:)

Its funny.... I used to work with a guy that they sometimes called Korndog.... Korn for short