pet odor

J

jp2854

Is there anything that is safe for cats that you can use to elimate the smell of cat in the house? I mean the house is kept clean and all that jazz and the litter pans are kept clean too. The only problem is with the cool weather all the cats have stayed in the house all day and night and the house has been closed no windows or doors open and it smells (the couches and chairs do) the carpet not as bad. I used lysol earlier but that stuff just masks the smell I want something that will eliminate it and also doesnt make you house smell so bad you don[t want to be in it and neither do the cats?

Just so you know don't think I am crazy with the weather thing. I live in Upstate NY and we arent going to go past the 60's tues and weds we are supposed to be in the 50's and see the 60's again after that with lots of rain in the forcast and maybe by the weekend we might be able to open the house back up again and maybe by then the cats will come back out on the back screeened in porch some of the time since they love watching the birds

thanks much

J

jp2854

the carpets are area rugs that are made of wool. I will have to see what I can figure out about getting them cleaned. Giving the cats a bath isnt an option as they are all indoor cats they dont go past the screened in porch. Plus they all hate water with a passsion and I am allergic to the shampoo to bathe them with.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
jp2854 said:
the carpets are area rugs that are made of wool. I will have to see what I can figure out about getting them cleaned. Giving the cats a bath isnt an option as they are all indoor cats they dont go past the screened in porch. Plus they all hate water with a passsion and I am allergic to the shampoo to bathe them with.
Dangle one of those tree shaped air fresheners from their collars.

J

jp2854

Good Idea thanks I didnt think about that one but the main problem is the upholstry on teh furniture smells the most. I need something thast is cat safe to put on it.

thanks

J

jp2854

Then can you explain to me why my aunt said the house smells like cat? I can't smell anything either. I bet shes smelling her sons wet clothes and socks he left on the floor all week while working as it rained here and had to blame it on the cats.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
jp2854 said:
Then can you explain to me why my aunt said the house smells like cat? I can't smell anything either. I bet shes smelling her sons wet clothes and socks he left on the floor all week while working as it rained here and had to blame it on the cats.
Maybe your aunt is a #####. :shrug:

J

jp2854

nomoney said:
how many cats are we talking about?

We are talking about 4 cats.

I vacumm almost every other day or everyday the furniutre and the rugs get vacuumed 3 to 4 times a week it all depends on how much the cats are in the house as to the number of times I do it as they all shed.

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
jp2854 said:
Is there anything that is safe for cats that you can use to elimate the smell of cat in the house? I mean the house is kept clean and all that jazz and the litter pans are kept clean too. The only problem is with the cool weather all the cats have stayed in the house all day and night and the house has been closed no windows or doors open and it smells (the couches and chairs do) the carpet not as bad. I used lysol earlier but that stuff just masks the smell I want something that will eliminate it and also doesnt make you house smell so bad you don[t want to be in it and neither do the cats?

Start with the carpets, shampoo them. Walmart even carries a carpet cleaner for the machine designed for pet odor. You are supposed to use hot water, bring the water almost to a boil on the stove, the hotter the better. You can also use the same cleaner on your furniture, use an old towel and wipe it down. Afterwards, spray furniture down with febreeze.

J

jp2854

K_Jo said:
Maybe your aunt is a #####. :shrug:

I personally think she is just making up crap to get me to do more cleaning than I normally do after I told her yesterday I was taking a day break as I spent all damn day saturday cleaning house and refuse to clean today.

So instead I got to spend 3hrs cleaning again. Between doing litter pans and cleaning out a vaccum that someone didnt put the bag on correctly and cleaning up that mess and then vaccumming upstairs and downstairs and basement. I have had enough for one day and get this she just #####es about stuff instead of helping make things better. I really feel like doing this to her :buttkick:

J

jp2854

harleygirl said:
Start with the carpets, shampoo them. Walmart even carries a carpet cleaner for the machine designed for pet odor. You are supposed to use hot water, bring the water almost to a boil on the stove, the hotter the better. You can also use the same cleaner on your furniture, use an old towel and wipe it down. Afterwards, spray furniture down with febreeze.

The carpets are wool. I can't steam clean them I don't think I will need to ask my mom about it later today

nomoney

jp2854 said:
I personally think she is just making up crap to get me to do more cleaning than I normally do after I told her yesterday I was taking a day break as I spent all damn day saturday cleaning house and refuse to clean today.

So instead I got to spend 3hrs cleaning again. Between doing litter pans and cleaning out a vaccum that someone didnt put the bag on correctly and cleaning up that mess and then vaccumming upstairs and downstairs and basement. I have had enough for one day and get this she just #####es about stuff instead of helping make things better. I really feel like doing this to her :buttkick:

is it your aunts house?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
jp2854 said:
We are talking about 4 cats.

I vacumm almost every other day or everyday the furniutre and the rugs get vacuumed 3 to 4 times a week it all depends on how much the cats are in the house as to the number of times I do it as they all shed.

Cats do shed but they don't stink, unless they are peeing somewhere. Don't dump anything on your carpets to make them smell better either...worst thing you can do. It just grinds in and you never get it out. They can cause sinus problems, etc.