Any Suggestions?

JTross

JTross
I have to do an informative speech for my Communications college course. I'm kind of at a stand still as to what I should do my speech on. It has to be between 4 and 6 minutes long. We also cannot show or do any demonstrations pretty much just stick straight to facts. Any suggestions that would be interesting to an audience without putting them asleep? :howdy:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
A 4-6 minute talk would have to be pretty boring to knock somebody out. :lol:
Talk about something you enjoy to do.

CandyRain

Do a historical bio on your favorite author, musician, or artist...something interesting to you. :yay:

Good luck!

JTross

JTross
aps45819 said:
A 4-6 minute talk would have to be pretty boring to knock somebody out. :lol:
Talk about something you enjoy to do.

Well when your a really shy person and absolutely hate speaking in front of people 4-6 minutes seems like an eternity LOL

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
JTross said:
Well when your a really shy person and absolutely hate speaking in front of people 4-6 minutes seems like an eternity LOL
Even if all you do is sit home and watch TV, you could do a report on the development of your favorite show.

What are your hobbies?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
JTross said:

It actually goes a lot quicker than you think it will. When I took my first speech class, I was horribly shy and thought I was going to faint getting up there. But I was comfortable with the material and had practiced, practiced, PRACTICED until I had it down pat and was sure I would hit the time limits.

There are a lot of things you can talk about. A personal hobby, the history of this or another area, a current event - anything YOU'RE interested in. That is important and will help you with involving your audience and making it interesting to them.

Good luck! :cheers:

JTross

JTross
jazz lady said:
It actually goes a lot quicker than you think it will. When I took my first speech class, I was horribly shy and thought I was going to faint getting up there. But I was comfortable with the material and had practiced, practiced, PRACTICED until I had it down pat and was sure I would hit the time limits.

There are a lot of things you can talk about. A personal hobby, the history of this or another area, a current event - anything YOU'RE interested in. That is important and will help you with involving your audience and making it interesting to them.

Good luck! :cheers:

Thanks for the help! I've gotten better I think, I did my second speech on monday and I feel that I really improved since the first one so I guess its just a time consuming process and just really getting comfortable is what it comes down to. :howdy:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
JTross said:
I have to do an informative speech for my Communications college course. I'm kind of at a stand still as to what I should do my speech on. It has to be between 4 and 6 minutes long. We also cannot show or do any demonstrations pretty much just stick straight to facts. Any suggestions that would be interesting to an audience without putting them asleep? :howdy:

You can talk about all your new friends youve made on the forums. :huggy:

Vince

How about a speech on the retirement benefits for those in congress? Plenty of stuff to dig up on that. When they get into office they tear down the old and refurbish with all new stuff on the taxpayers, of course. And their office is not stocked with just any old junk either. Check out their transportation to and from their home state. Paid for by us. Accomodations while they are in DC. You would be surprised.

JTross

JTross
Vince said:
How about a speech on the retirement benefits for those in congress? Plenty of stuff to dig up on that. When they get into office they tear down the old and refurbish with all new stuff on the taxpayers, of course. And their office is not stocked with just any old junk either. Check out their transportation to and from their home state. Paid for by us. Accomodations while they are in DC. You would be surprised.

That does seem interesting. Thanks! :howdy:

designerxboi

JTross said:

Just an Idea

It helps to calm your nerves if you squeeze the muscles in your calf a few minutes before you go on. Its supposed to release endorphines or something which in effect calms you down. I learned that in my speech class a few years ago, and its always effective, even today.

If it doesnt help atleast afterwards your calf muscles will feel like they have had a workout!

jbooty

JTross said:

Is David Lee your instructor for this??