Demodex

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Hi All,
I was wondering if there was anyone out there that knew of a successful treatment for Generalized Demodectic Mange in dogs. I have tried Mitabin dips and Ivermectin but neither have worked wonders. If anyone else has had this problem with their dogs and has used an alternate remedy I would love to know about it. Thanks!

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I have heard of that before but wasn't too sure how I felt about putting used motor oil on my dog. It might be worth a try though the mitabin dips are a very strong pecticide from what I gather.

Cowgirl

EWW...I would never put motor oil on my dog. Have you talked to the vet? I'm sure they can recommend something that would safely work. I know it is more expensive than a do-it-yourself remedy, but it will be much safer, and your dog will thank you for it.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Yes we've been to the vet several times. I've done the Mitabin dips which are supposed to work the best. They are very toxic so I didn't even try them until he was a year old. I've tried Ivermectin which is a cattle wormer (even though demodex is a skin paracite) which works in a lot of dogs. Both worked ok, the Mitabin better then the Ivermectin. I can get it under control I just can't keep it under control. He's on good food, vitamins and supplements. I use to be a vet tech so I know all the vet remedies just none of them are working very well. Cost is not an issue I just want the stuff gone for good.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cariblue
my father was raised on a farm and said they used "used motor oil and vaseline".

go figure.

from http://www.marvistavet.com/html/demodectic_mange.html :

"In older times, some 30 years ago, dipping dogs with demodectic mange in motor oil was a popular home remedy. Skin exposure to motor oil can cause rashes and skin destruction in severe cases. The hydrocarbons can be absorbed through the skin and cause a dangerous drop in blood pressure. If motor oil is licked off the coat, resultant vomiting can lead to aspiration of motor oil into the lungs and pneumonia. Kidney and liver damage can result from motor oil dipping.

PLEASE: DO NOT DIP YOUR DOG IN MOTOR OIL!"

There's also some good info on the web site on alternative treatments including Interceptor.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cariblue
my father was raised on a farm and said they used "used motor oil and vaseline".

go figure.

from http://www.marvistavet.com/html/demodectic_mange.html :

"In older times, some 30 years ago, dipping dogs with demodectic mange in motor oil was a popular home remedy. Skin exposure to motor oil can cause rashes and skin destruction in severe cases. The hydrocarbons can be absorbed through the skin and cause a dangerous drop in blood pressure. If motor oil is licked off the coat, resultant vomiting can lead to aspiration of motor oil into the lungs and pneumonia. Kidney and liver damage can result from motor oil dipping.

PLEASE: DO NOT DIP YOUR DOG IN MOTOR OIL!"

There's also some good info on the web site on alternative treatments including Interceptor.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Thanks Jazz, Motor oil it will not be. Tried Interceptor for a month with no result. Interceptor has Ivermectin in it, the injections were much more effective.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Thanks Sharon. That specifically says for demodex too! I'll order me some now. I have decent luck with the Mitabin dips but after about two months the hair loss starts again. I think I need something for maintenance. I bathe him regularly in between breakouts but apparently nothing I use works to well to control it.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
They do it but as soon as the hair regrows he starts getting patches of the demodex. He's 20 months old now, I've heard of some dogs not growing out of it until 36 months though. I sure hope not.