Walkway border ideas

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Need to be able to have a slight curve.
Base will be 4" of crushed stone, topped off with flagstone.

Walkway will also have a sight slope.
Installed from the back deck, to the detached garage (doghouse).
Ideas?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why not line it with hostas or some other large leafy plant?

Depending on how wide the walkway is (and how ambitious you want to get) you can also break it up with bench seating to sort of extend your deck.

onebdzee

off the shelf
DoWhat said:
Need to be able to have a slight curve.
Base will be 4" of crushed stone, topped off with flagstone.

Walkway will also have a sight slope.
Installed from the back deck, to the detached garage (doghouse).
Ideas?

Do you have any flower beds around your house....If so, use the same border or similar....that way your house looks "uniform"(at least that's what the lady at Lowe's told me)....the walkway lights were also recommended :yay:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
Why not line it with hostas or some other large leafy plant?

Depending on how wide the walkway is (and how ambitious you want to get) you can also break it up with bench seating to sort of extend your deck.
Looking for a border to hold in the crushed stone, so it doesn't wash away with heavy rain.
I will take some pictures, so you get more of an idea what I'm looking for. Ok?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
onebdzee said:
Do you have any flower beds around your house....If so, use the same border or similar....that way your house looks "uniform"(at least that's what the lady at Lowe's told me)....the walkway lights were also recommended :yay:
My flower beds are all cut out with a spade.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
Doesn't it have to be dog-proof?
Yes.
Do you remember (when you were here) the path created from the back deck steps going to the detached garage?

There is flagstone blocks going from the back deck to the attached garage, but they lay directly on the grass. I want to replace that too, the same way I'm going to install the new one.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Railroad ties? Larger (5"x5") rocks? Why not dig down for the walk way and let the grass on each side be a natural border?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
DoWhat said:
Now that there is funny. I don't have any vehicle on blocks, so that won't fit in.
Crab, I think he just called you white trash. :lol:

If railroad ties are out, why not use brick? I'd have to see what you're talking about, but a little brick border around the flagstone walkway would be attractive. Maybe. Depending on if what I'm picturing is what you're doing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Pandora said:
Hostas are great, because the dog could pee on them and it will not hurt them in the least.
Ya gotta love a hosta :yay:

Ornamental cabbage and kale is the same way.

crabcake

vraiblonde said:
Crab, I think he just called you white trash. :lol:

If railroad ties are out, why not use brick? I'd have to see what you're talking about, but a little brick border around the flagstone walkway would be attractive. Maybe. Depending on if what I'm picturing is what you're doing.

His dog craps on the deck so I'm not overly worried. :lol:

A brick border would work depending on the color of the flagstone and the other things in the area. If the plants aren't evergreen, they might not work. Perhaps a creeping cypress could do the trick. :shrug:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Ideas?

Attachments

• Walkway1.JPG
    Walkway1.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 286
  • Walkway2.JPG
    Walkway2.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 286
  • Walkway3.JPG
    Walkway3.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 294
  • Walkway4.JPG
    Walkway4.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 273

crabcake

Are you reusing those same stones for the walkway? What's the cause of the dead grass/dirt? Dog? Erosion from rain?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
crabcake said:
What's the cause of the dead grass/dirt? Dog? Erosion from rain?
Both, I just installed a draining pipe to take the water that runs off the driveway.

I will re-use the flagstone on the one walkway, but I just don't like the look with it buried in the grass.
That's why I'm looking for some kind of border to outline the walkway.

fttrsbeerwench

Concrete:ohwell:

That's a high traffic area. If you want minimal maintenance I'd go with concrete. If it's an area that collects alot of water... Maybe something resembling a pier would look good. Have it match the deck and put hosta(love that hosta) along the sides.

I think gravel gets all over the yad and the mower picks it up..

Just IMO:yay: