Cell Phone Service

ackch46

Hello, I posted about a month ago and was surprised at the response. Thanks for all the great feedback. Now the question I have is what cell phone provider is the best in the PAX and Southern Maryland area? Our contract with Cingular is up soon(thank goodness) and I am wanting to look into who has the best coverage/service/rates in the new area-Thanks-ACK

B

baswm

I live in Calvert and work at PAx. I have Cingular and it has been great for me except the dead zone when I get off of 235 and get on 4 North to make my way to the bridge.

johnjrval424

ackch46 said:
Hello, I posted about a month ago and was surprised at the response. Thanks for all the great feedback. Now the question I have is what cell phone provider is the best in the PAX and Southern Maryland area? Our contract with Cingular is up soon(thank goodness) and I am wanting to look into who has the best coverage/service/rates in the new area-Thanks-ACK

Whatever you do, DON'T get Nextel. My husband and I have it and we absolutely hate it. We relocated into the area over a year ago and it was okay where we were but down here, it stinks!

Unfortunately, we are stuck for two reasons:

(1) Our contract doesn't expire for another year
(2) Where my husband works, he still gets decent service and they use the walkie-talkie feature very often (which is free on our plan - save big $$$ on cell minutes)

If we ever get an opportunity to switch, it will be to Verizon. Quite a few people we know have it and the service area clearly surpasses any other provider we've seen.

bigtw34

Verizon seems to have the best service for SOMD. There are only a couple of places that I dont get service. But I have no complaints, Verizon has been pretty good to me.

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
I have Verizon and Nextel. I like Verizon more, but the PTT and walkie talkie features are great on Sprint/Nextel phones.

Vrock

It's not that serious
Verizon! I had Sprint with ZERO service down here and switched to Verizon and haven't had a single problem :)

N

nitwhit3286

I have Cingular...when I am out in town..it is fine..I can get reception but I can never get it in my home!!! It is very frustrating..do what everyone else seems like they are and get verizon!

proudof3

Cingular has great service in my opinion. I've been w/ Cingular for about 10 years. My phone picks up in all areas. Your phone has a lot to do w/ the reception you receive. Picking out the cheapest phone may not always be the best choice. As the saying goes, "you get what you pay for". I have coworkers w/ Verizon service, but they receive no reception in our building. My phone picks up in all areas of the building.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
proudof3 said:
Cingular has great service in my opinion. I've been w/ Cingular for about 10 years. My phone picks up in all areas. Your phone has a lot to do w/ the reception you receive. Picking out the cheapest phone may not always be the best choice. As the saying goes, "you get what you pay for". I have coworkers w/ Verizon service, but they receive no reception in our building. My phone picks up in all areas of the building.
Not the price of the phone so much, but where your cell provider has antennas, for SOMD that would be VERIZON by a long shot.. South of the base there are very few antennas ONE for Cingular at Buzzy's Marina, and the other two (maybe three)three all belong to Verizon.

Cingular just put up the new cell tower last year, prior to that the ONLY phones that worked at all on Webster were Verizon, and now they've added towers down here, so we have MUCH better service here. My phone has lousy service in the building, but the building I work in is shielded, so it shouldn't work.

So, unless you plan on staying North of the Base, and not going out in the Bay, Verizon is the way to go.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
proudof3 said:

I must say I agree with this statement for the most part. Been with Cingular/Cellular One for about 6yrs. I didn't start having problems until last year. But, as the shiatty device broke down more I realized it was less of a reception issue and more of a phone issue.

I paid $49.99 for the Motorola V220 Flip and it broke last year so I paid $50 to get a replacement and I do believe that it was not a new phone because this one has broken down something awful. The sound dies (I thought this was dropped calls) and I finally figured it was not the reception but the phone because on the menu it changes from Speakerphone to Mute when the sound dies. In addition I can't use the phone for a few minutes. I have to wait til some hocus pocus switches the system back and the sound returns.

I was set on switching to Verizon and getting the Motoroal Q but now I am wondering if I just get a better phone (preferrably not a flip) if things would be ok. Never lost service down here except on the street by Pax Bch Church (towards the bridge to Solomons) and I have gotten service at PLO so I think that says something. I love my rollover minutes so I am in between.

My contract ended on September 10 and I have not renewed or joined another company because I am still thinking about this. Those 2yr contracts are no joke when it comes to cell phones.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Agree, Verizon is best, everyone in my office uses it as well, many of my colleagues are former Sprint, T-Mobile, Nextel users and all had crappy to no service once south of Great Mills Road...