Tree Fact...

Agee

learn something new each day, who said TV wasn't educational,

Leaves might fall from the tree, but not before the tree gives them a push.
The tree sends out a signal to each of its leaves that it's time to go. Each leaf stem is then severed through a chemical process. The wind and gravity take care of the rest.

...and the reason trees shead their leaves each fall?

Last edited:

onebdzee

off the shelf
Airgasm said:
learn something new each day, who said TV was educational,

The tree sends out a signal to each of its leaves that it's time to go. Each leaf stem is then severed through a chemical process. The wind and gravity take care of the rest.

sounds like a parent to me

and in answer to your question....because the tree is tired of them living off them and sends them out to get a job and continue the life cycle(i.e. fall from the tree and become mulch) :lmao:

Airgasm said:

A matter of efficiency, they take more energy to keep alive than they produce in food. Less sunlight.

onebdzee said:
sounds like a parent to me

and in answer to your question....because the tree is tired of them living off them and sends them out to get a job and continue the life cycle(i.e. fall from the tree and become mulch) :lmao:
NOT! It's to keep me busy after there's no grass to cut. :bawl:

Agee

rack'm said:
Shorter days, less light, the trees live off of stored food all winter.

desertrat said:
A matter of efficiency, they take more energy to keep alive than they produce in food. Less sunlight.

Good answers :golfclap: but no winna, next?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Airgasm said:

I found.
Deciduous trees shed leaves in fall to reduce the evaporative surface area and conserve water in winter when soil water is not available. Leaf death and abscission are induced by short days. This process is controlled by plant hormones:

1) Ethylene and ABA promote leaf fall

Vince

Airgasm said:
learn something new each day, who said TV wasn't educational,

Alright Mr. Wizard, what about Pine Trees? :razz:

morganj614

And I found this

By autumn, the leaves of many hardwood trees have reached old age and do not function well. At this time a tree must also prepare for the harsher weather conditions of winter. Signals to the tree indicating it is time to prepare for winter include shorter days, less intense sunlight and cooler temperatures. Prior to the leaves falling, nutrients like nitrogen and phosphorus move from the leaf into the adjacent stem to be reused during the next growing season. The following spring a new crop of leaves are produced and the cycle is repeated.