Does anyone here have ferrets?

Redwing91

I have a male albino ferret named Snooper. He is a real sweetie. I got him while I was living in Virginia, and recently moved back to SoMD. Can anyone recommend a vet who is good with ferrets?

Ponytail

I had one. She died of cancer when she was only 4. :frown: Broke my heart to put that little girl down. I'll have another one someday.

you'll find a good vet, I'm sure. LOTS of pet lovers on here.

K

Kain99

No ferret but we have a Chinchilla (Cartman) :wink: Three Notch has been great!

Redwing91

Today I took Snooper to St. Mary's Vet. on Rt. 235. Dr. Forrest treated him. I was happy with the care Snooper got, and also the cost wasn't too bad.

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by Kain99
No ferret but we have a Chinchilla (Cartman) :wink: Three Notch has been great!
Awww! I didn't know that, Kain. I had a male & female about 6 years ago. I used to love 'bath' time. :biggrin:

D

DaMadman

I had two that never really needed to go to the Vet. I am all for taking my animals if I notice soemthing bothering them or whatever.

One of mine I got when it was a baby and she lived to be 8 almost 9 years old, which is long for a ferret.
The other one I found on the side of rte 5 on my way home one night. I have no Idea how old he was but I chased him down the side of the road and caught him and gave him a great home for about 3 years.

They both died within a few months of one another and both showed signs of the panceatic disease the ferrets get. One lost all it's hair and then through feeding it some special vitamins and stuff he hair grew back and she live a little over a year after that, The one I found on the side of the road, lived a few months longer than my original one. Niether of them seemed to suffer and I think they went in thier sleep, because one day they were alive and moving around the next day I found them dead in the cage.

I miss them, they are some comically critters, But I do not think I will ever go out of my way to purchase another one.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by DaMadman

The other one I found on the side of rte 5 on my way home one night. I have no Idea how old he was but I chased him down the side of the road and caught him and gave him a great home for about 3 years.

The one I found on the side of the road, lived a few months longer than my original one. Niether of them seemed to suffer and I think they went in thier sleep, because one day they were alive and moving around the next day I found them dead in the cage.

If you found them on the side of the road, perhaps they were wild and didn't thrive in a non-wild environment? Just a thought...

slackwater514

To my knowledge, ferrets don't run wild in this area - was it caught in this area? If so, it was probably just someone's pet gone astray or worse yet, released...

D

DaMadman

Originally posted by RoseRed
If you found them on the side of the road, perhaps they were wild and didn't thrive in a non-wild environment? Just a thought...

Nah they don't survive in the wild around here, I can't remember the reason off hand I think it is the cold in the winter ???? maybe, But I suspect that someone dumped the poor fellow because it was nuetered and descented also.

The female I actually purchased when she was about 10 weeks old. She lived for 8 or nine years

Jimbo

Dirty Old Man in Training
One of mine developed this horrible habbit of checking on me while I slept. She would scurry up onto my chest and hover over my face to see if I was breathing, and occasionally she would decide to give my eyelids a bath.

I now know I can go from Deep REM sleep to Full-On, Wide Awake, Super-Adrenelin charged conciousness in about .034 seconds.

As much as I hated that, I miss those little gurls. They were the best pets I've had, and I've had quite a few. They need a buddy, so if you don't want another ferret, I recommend a kitten. Cats and ferrets can get along like peas and carrots if they grow up together. Alas, one died by Doggie, the other eventually by Adrenal gland cancer, which reminds me;

Anybody with a ferret should definatly check out Timmy's Tonic
Its not really a cure for the cancer, but a vitiman recipie \ diet advice that helps reduce \ prevent it. Its a free recipie, or you can actually order the stuff. After watching my ferret "Snarf" slowly loose all of her hair, get lethargic and dwindle away, I can tell you its a horrible thing, and it still eats at me when I think about it.

Last edited:

slackwater514

Hey, Jim! I didn't know you were on here! Go figure...I frequent these posts every (work) day, and today here you are (well, in the BB that I roam, anyway)! You'll have to get ferrets again someday - I want to, but I'm not allowed :( - one critter (other than snakes) where the line is drawn for my personal menagerie...