Home Heating Oil Prices

browneyes

Ok so the gas has been going down for about a month now.

I live in Calvert County and I've been calling SMO/Gott once a week for approx. 5 weeks to get a quote on their home heating oil price.

Every week it is the same price $2.699. It hasn't come down even a penny.

I asked SMO today, how come the gas has come down but not the home heating oil and the response was that they come from different refineries. I also asked if they were expecting a decrease. The person had no idea.

Now, a few minutes ago, I just heard a reporter raving on the news about how gas and home heating oil have come down. It hasn't here in Calvert County!

What's up? Maybe there isn't enough competition now that SMO owns Gott.
Anyone else noticed that the prices haven't gone down at all and wondered why not?

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
browneyes said:

I live in Calvert County and I've been calling SMO/Gott once a week for approx. 5 weeks to get a quote on their home heating oil price.

I asked SMO today, how come the gas has come down but not the home heating oil and the response was that they come from different refineries. I also asked if they were expecting a decrease. The person had no idea.

Now, a few minutes ago, I just heard a reporter raving on the news about how gas and home heating oil have come down. It hasn't here in Calvert County!

Anyone else noticed that the prices haven't gone down at all and wondered why not?

Doesnt Besche Oil come to Calvert? Dont know what their prices are like but you can always call and compare.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
browneyes said:

I can explain this to you, MAYBE, if I understand it right. The price you see is the price they get plus maybe a couple cents from OPIS for large volume deliveries. They are gouging you. I get the OPIS price faxed in to me every Monday because of the contract we have. They're probably adding 50 cents to the gallon, which is common for home delivery. Where I work, because of the amount of oil we get, they only add 3 cents. It sux. At home, we got a new a/c/heat pump installed last year. We have saved a ton on oil and also on a/c costs. It was worth the $4000 or so we paid. It will pay for itself in about 3 years.

Last edited:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
FastCarsSpeed said:
Doesnt Besche Oil come to Calvert? Dont know what their prices are like but you can always call and compare.
When we didn't have a contract for a while, we compared prices. Besche was always the cheapest. That was for big deliveries of 15,000 gallons plus at a time, but I'm betting Besche is cheapest all the time even on home deliveries. We use them at home and have had wonderful service.

browneyes

Thank you both for your replies. I will definitely give Besche a try.

(I didn't mention in my post that the price is dramatically up from last year. Last year at this time it was $1.799. They didn't have any problems raising their prices when gas went up but now that it has come down, it supposedly doesn't have anything to do with them. lol :whistle: )

Vince

Got a pellet stove. Heat the house, depending on how harsh the winter is, with about 2 tons of pellets. Approx $600.00 for the winter, depending on pellet prices. Probably be alot higher this year.

browneyes said:

(I didn't mention in my post that the price is dramatically up from last year. Last year at this time it was $1.799. They didn't have any problems raising their prices when gas went up but now that it has come down, it supposedly doesn't have anything to do with them. lol :whistle: )
Also if you get on a automatic payment plan they will give you a discount.

browneyes

Well I got out the yellow pages and called around. I thought I would pass on what I learned...

Besche was a little lower at $2.599 but C.L Pitcher has the best price at $2.399.

We have a 275 gallon tank so that will save us $82.50 per fill up. :yay:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
browneyes said:
Well I got out the yellow pages and called around. I thought I would pass on what I learned...

Besche was a little lower at $2.599 but C.L Pitcher has the best price at $2.399.

If gasoline ias at 2.03 a gallon, and off road diesel/ heating oil is supposed to be free of the same taxes.. 2.39 still seems too high. But I guess they have you over a(n oil) barrel don't they?

Figure if gas is at 2.03, then heating oil should be around $1.70.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Peekskill NY, where it gets MUCH colder then here.. 1.91 a gallon.. seems like the companies down here are taking advantage.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
browneyes said:

Do you have a phone number for C.L. Pitcher? We have Besche now and a 550 gallon tank. $.20 a gallon is BIG savings for us.

browneyes

I agree with you itsbob. I think they are too high down here also. I'm thinking if no one questions the big oil companies around here, then what incentive do they have to lower their prices? I'm not sure who watches over such things?

Hi pixiegirl,
A 550 gallon tank times .20 should save you around $110 . :high5:
There # is 410-586-1616
Maybe if more people switch companies, then the prices will come down. Competition is good for the consumer. :patriot:

willie

browneyes said:

In both November of '05 and March of '06 I paid $2.50 with Ridgell.