Tile re-grouting

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I'm not even sure I spelled that right. Our Florida room has ceramic tile that I believe was owner installed. The tile is in great shape but the grout is cracking and chipping and coming up when I sweep. What needs to happen? Do we have to re-grout the entire floor (it's pretty wide spread)? How do you get old grout up?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
:really: Thanks guys! Good thing he's handy. When I said "we" need to do something what I really mean is "he". I do the girly stuff like paint.

Midnightrider

pixiegirl said:
:really: Thanks guys! Good thing he's handy. When I said "we" need to do something what I really mean is "he". I do the girly stuff like paint.
theres plenty of 'cleaning' type work with grout, so you'll be able to help if'n you want

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Grout saw?? You'd be there all week-end trying to remove grout from an entire room.. I think dremel makes a bit specific for this job.. LOT quicker.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
unfortunatley it sounds like your ceramic tile was not put down over a sufficient sub-floor. To do the job right the tile needs to come up and a subfloor (sheets can be purchased at Lowes) installed over the plywood. Lots of work, so you may want to just clean out the areas you have missing/loose and replace with grout. I have found the premixed latex grout to flex more than the powder mixed with water does. But, This will only temporarily fix it.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
persimmoncf said:
unfortunatley it sounds like your ceramic tile was not put down over a sufficient sub-floor. To do the job right the tile needs to come up and a subfloor (sheets can be purchased at Lowes) installed over the plywood. Lots of work, so you may want to just clean out the areas you have missing/loose and replace with grout. I have found the premixed latex grout to flex more than the powder mixed with water does. But, This will only temporarily fix it.

I have absolutely, positively, 100% garuntee that the floor was probably not laid on the proper sub floor. I got schooled when we did the kids bathroom. Ripped up the vinyl and there was plywood and what was under the plywood you ask??? Why it was paneling. Yes, I did say paneling, you know the stuff you hang on walls? That's what was there and we ended up gutting the bathroom and starting over.

The kitchen sits up a good inch and a half above the hardwood in the living room. I'd put money on that flooring having something under it it's not suppose to as well. Lemme see if I can dig up a picture.

The Florida room while the tile looks good for the most part if you look closely there are hills and valleys. It's not flat! I have no doubt the sub flooring is something it's not suppose to be.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Same pic I used yesterday for a different reason. The kitchen is obviously the gray. There's a thick moulding of some sort and the kitchen floor even though in the same room (great room) sits up a good inch or so. The kids bathroom which is also right off the great room sat up like that as well. After the other half did the floor the right way it's just about flush.

Attachments

• Dec16^09.JPG
    Dec16^09.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 256
C

czygvtwkr

If the grout is not a uniform thickness such as caused by lumps or bumps in the thinset in between the tiles the grout might not have a uniform color and will look like crap. Putting down tile and grout really isnt that hard it is just tedious and requires attention to detail.

Painting is not girly stuff :( I love to paint.

bcp

In My Opinion
persimmoncf said:
unfortunatley it sounds like your ceramic tile was not put down over a sufficient sub-floor. To do the job right the tile needs to come up and a subfloor (sheets can be purchased at Lowes) installed over the plywood.

In most cases this also indicates that the foundation is weak.

personally I would have the house jacked up and the entire foundation broken out and reinstalled to ISO9000 specs.

Might cost 200 grand or so, but the floor will last a good many years after that.

mandylee

omfg

that was a funny post!
If it is starting to go wave'y on you it is best to pull it up and start fresh, Even the pre-maixed latex based grouts will crack due to drying out. Especially if you have sanded grout on the floors. the latex is a little more forgiving, but you will eventually have the same problems. I recommend using dura ceramic or dura stone products. they have the ability to flex on floors with variances.

mandylee

floors

ever notice how NEW homes have such shi**y slabs laid under them? Cant they ever get the floors smooth anymore, Darn mex's ...