Big screen TV...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...OK, share your knowledge!

What to get? What type? Plasma? Projection? LCD? DLP?

HELP! My wife told me I could get what I want but I ain't spending a fortune and I don't want something that will be obsolete in 12 months for 1/2 the price but still good enough. Nome'sayin?

generic

Larry Gude said:

HELP! My wife told me I could get what I want but I ain't spending a fortune and I don't want something that will be obsolete in 12 months for 1/2 the price but still good enough. Nome'sayin?

Just went through this whole process. IMO I would stay clear of the DLP and go with the either the LCD or Plasma after that it really comes down to what size you want and how much you are willing to spend. I would suggest a samsung plasma the 40+'' are going for some pretty good prices right now.

LCDs are supposed to drop in price by 20% by next year also something to think about. Also the next gen tvs will all be 1080p not 1080i.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6361600-1.html

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
If you watch television for more than a couple of hours at a time, or if you commonly watch news sites/sports with tickers scrolling across the bottom, you should avoid the Plasma screen. The technology has not advanced yet to a point where they can effectively sustain the images, and what often happens is that they become burned into the screen. Plasma screens are also associated with much higher average electricity usage than the other choices on the market.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Club'nBabySeals said:
If you watch television for more than a couple of hours at a time, or if you commonly watch news sites/sports with tickers scrolling across the bottom, you should avoid the Plasma screen. The technology has not advanced yet to a point where they can effectively sustain the images, and what often happens is that they become burned into the screen.
That's any tv; not just plasmas. :shrug:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I have a 42-inch LG DLP and I love it! :yay: :yay:

Whatever you get, make sure it's got a matte-like screen (cuts down on glare) and that you can view the screen/images from the sides. I hate when I'm trying to watch something from an angle and I can't see it as well as if I was viewing it straight on. The tv I got has great viewing capability from any angle.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
Larry Gude said:

I got a 26" Gateway LCD flat screen.. :yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ok...

...how about built in tuners? What do we know about them?

There's a couple at COSTCO under $1500, 37" (Phillips is one)

And maybe a 40-50" in the TV room? Rear projection? Wall projection?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
crabcake said:
and that you can view the screen/images from the sides. I hate when I'm trying to watch something from an angle and I can't see it as well as if I was viewing it straight on. The tv I got has great viewing capability from any angle.

That's the big reason we haven't taken the plunge yet.

I do like the projection system they have at bj's...I'd like to see what the picture looks like when you pull it further from the screen, though.

Pandora

elaine said:
I do like the projection system they have at bj's...I'd like to see what the picture looks like when you pull it further from the screen, though.

Those prices are outrageous right now, but I think those prices will go down after the 1st of the year.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
elaine said:
That's the big reason we haven't taken the plunge yet.

I went to Circuit City and Best Buy and looked at all of 'em from various angles to make sure that wouldn't be an issue. See if one of them carries the one at BJs (assuming the one at BJ's isn't plugged in for you to demo/see the picture). Mine has some kind of glare-resistant coating or a matte-finish type screen as well so that I don't see any glare. That might be what improves the angle-viewing capability. :shrug:

mandylee

Lcd - Plasma - Tube

LCD IS THE BEST WAY TO GO FOR THE MONEY,.. Plasma will last (if your lucky) 5yrs and its almost impossible to have it fixed due to it burinin up. If you contact my hubby, he can deffinetly hook the world up. We have a 60" sony sxrd LCD tv and for what it cost you at circuit ####ty and worst buy for $4,999.. he bought this one with factory warranty, 3 years extended wattanty for little over $2600. Sony guarantees the bulb for 3 years, and will replace it for free if in fact it will go out. Call him and he'll find you what you need with sony. AJK HOME IMPROVEMENTS

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:

crabcake said:
I have a 42-inch LG DLP and I love it! :yay: :yay:.
I have a 52" Samsung DLP :yay: :yay:

LCD and Plasma have the possibility of "Burn-in Effect".

Opinions

Are you looking for information or just opinions. If you want facts, go online to websites where they compare specs dlp vs lcd. There are pros and cons with both. Also some brands and models perform differently. Do you want to buy quality or just cheap? HD Digital vs analog, What kinds of inputs will you be using? Decide what your requirements are and then fill in the blanks.Remember it your money that you will be spending.

Larry Gude said:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I can spend the rest of...

waupaca said:
Are you looking for information or just opinions. If you want facts, go online to websites where they compare specs dlp vs lcd. There are pros and cons with both. Also some brands and models perform differently. Do you want to buy quality or just cheap? HD Digital vs analog, What kinds of inputs will you be using? Decide what your requirements are and then fill in the blanks.Remember it your money that you will be spending.

...my life reading inforamtion and still not know what it really means. I'm seeking opinions based on experience.